SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 227 Vs. H-K Compact 45
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 227 Vs. H-K Compact 45 Login/Join 
posted
Trying to decide between the two. Like the ability to carry the H-K cocked and locked. Does any one know the poundage of the H-K single action trigger? Any experience between the two would be helpful.The H-K is a bit lighter and the 227 has a higher mag capicity but tht does not bother me.

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Hk45c, S.A., The SA weight measured at an avg of 4 lbs 12oz for the one that owned. Buy the 45c over the P227, easier to carry & you’ll be happier in the long run.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the 227 but have been shooting a West German 220 since the 80's and have used the 45C and full size as duty guns.

As much as I like my Sig, the HK45 is (for me) a much better pistol. My 45C single/double breaks at around 5.5 lbs. If you plan to carry cocked and locked, my personal recommendation would be the variant 9 SA/DA (I think that's the variant ) that does not have the decocker but has the safety. I like to keep my thumb on top of the safety when I shoot, but on occasion when I go from safe to fire I have accidentally gone all the way to decock.

The other variant I really like is the Todd Green Special LEM. I’ve tried the light LEM but didn’t like the reset at all. And lastly, I was expecting the HK to be extremely reliable which it is, but they are surprisingly accurate also.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nmsu,

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
HK45C.

Great gun.

Another plus is the HK will likely be in production and supported in 10 years.

The SIG P227...? Well you never know but I'd bet against that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
FWIW I prefer my $379 Police trade in P-220 DAK to my $800+ HK-45c (which I sold)....
The trigger on my 45c was horrid, changed it to LEM, changed it back to sell it.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up another HK45C today; used, but in great shape. LEM trigger.

HK double action triggers are gritty and poor.

I'd jump at a G21 long before a P227. You'll be shooting the G21 long after the P227 is worn out and done, too. Better, jump at a G40.

If the choice is the P227 or the HK, take the HK.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second RhinoWSO’s remarks. I’ve already seen people ask on these very pages if the P227 is still being made. You don’t want to end up like the P239 guys.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Recently picked up a P227CSAS but haven’t had a chance to do much with it yet. Have used an HK45C V4(LH decock only) as my primary EDC for the past 4yrs. Stock the P227 trigger is better than the HK but a few parts from the HK Match trigger kit evens them up minus the SA reset, SRT still takes it. The HK trigger will be heavier as the hammer spring is proprietary and there are no direct replacements. You’ll have to modify, trim, a stock spring.

We'll see how the P227 shakes out but the HK45C is fantastic. The best thing about the HK45/C is that they use USP lock work, wish the P series did the same. Mine are modified with with the following.
-Match “E” hammer(bobbed Match hammer).
-Nickel sear spring.
-Match trigger return spring.
-Trimmed USP hammer spring
-V3+4 detent plate.
-USPC V4 control lever.
-Talon rubber adhesive grip.
-DA 8.75lb SA 3.5lb 5 pull average on Lyman digital.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ceptor781,

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got both. The advantage of the Sig is obviously that it has a Pseries sig DA/SA operating system and its a classic metal frame gun. If that's important to you then it is one of the few newer sigs that really have not had any issues. I happen to like pseries sigs. With that said every other advantage goes to the HK. Its lighter, more reliable, likely much longer lasting, with likely much longer product life, better parts availability, the option of different trigger options (even if some of them are not great). keep one and the other has to go I'm keeping the HK.
FWIW. But I happen to like both of them for different reasons.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, I just sold a german HK45C. Kept a 220SAS carry. Shot the Sig better. HK double action is pretty heavy.
Only change might be g10 grips instead of the E2. Not needed on the HK.
Maybe xray sights down the road.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a 220 carry is not a 227. There is much that can be done about the DA on a HK. But in this case the option to carry the HK SA locked is one of the points.

posted Hide Post
You mentioned H-K Compact 45 in your topic so as the other reviewers have, I assume you’re referring to the HK45C vs. the HK USP Compact .45. Like some other reviewers, I have both but use them for slightly different purposes. The P227 is used mainly for home or car duty, and is a little big for concealed carry, but can work for open carry. The HK45C is easier to conceal and mine is noticeably more accurate than my P227. You also have the advantage of being able to use both 8 and 10 round magazines in the HK45C when needed. The trigger on the HK45C is definitely heavier in double action than the P227, but as some reviewers have mentioned, there are options to modify that. I don’t carry mine cocked and locked, so I’m not able to speak to that, but all things considered, and if it’s one or the other, I think you will like the HK45C due to its versatility and customization options.

Posts: 35 | Location: Eastern N.C. | Registered: November 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I just picked up another HK45C today; used, but in great shape. LEM trigger.

HK double action triggers are gritty and poor.

I'd jump at a G21 long before a P227. You'll be shooting the G21 long after the P227 is worn out and done, too. Better, jump at a G40.

If the choice is the P227 or the HK, take the HK.

You sure said a lot in this parasentencegraph, but wearing out a P227? That makes the least sense.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
HK45c
-more versatile
-lighter
-more trigger options
-actual military use (small as it might be)
-will have parts and mags available for some time
-the P227 seems on life support and if SIG kills it we know from experience ALL parts/Mags will dry up overnight
-more gun snob appeal then a Cohen era SIG. The 45c is an HK and will make you an Operator just by owning it........ok a coffee machine operator but HK!!!!!Smile
-I do seriously believe like for like 2017/2018 HK makes the better product, with better QC and better customer service should you need it.

Vs a 220.......harder decision. Probably still lean HK.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I just couldn’t get comfortable with the P227. I tried to like it. The gun functioned fine and shot pretty well, but in the end, I got rid of it. I have and love the HK45c. I carry it cocked and locked and have no plans to ever sell it.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:
I just couldn’t get comfortable with the P227. I tried to like it. The gun functioned fine and shot pretty well, but in the end, I got rid of it. I have and love the HK45c. I carry it cocked and locked and have no plans to ever sell it.

My same experience but moved on to a full size HK45. Really tried to like the 227 but it just never felt right.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
HK for me...for several of the reasons already cited.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I was leaning towards the H-K and it seems I was leaning in the right direction. Have a West German 220 and love it but just want to have a new gun. Love the German fire arms. We all need an excuse to buy a new weapon!!

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:

You sure said a lot in this parasentencegraph, but wearing out a P227? That makes the least sense.

With aluminum frame pistols, the life of the pistol is going to be considerably less than some of the less expensive or simpler firearms like a Glock or HK. Notably, a poster who goes by the name Big Bore kept a saga going regarding his G21; he dropped it from an airplane, dragged it behind trucks buried it, did everything he could think of, and it kept going. He recently posted that he had decided to retire it...at 200,000 rounds.

I doubt the P227 will get close, but maybe so.

I only shot one at a range on a Sig day when the Sig reps brought firearms to try. I hadn't shot one, but when I tried their P224 and P227, the reliability was not there. I'd have bought, ended up leaving without a purchase.

A Glock will never have the finesse of a Sig, but it will last. If someone only shoots their Sig after church on Sundays, it will probably last a long, long time too.

I'll probably never shoot either one to destruction or until it's worn out. Someone like J Jones might, given the volume he shoots. I suspect that the Glock would far outlast the aluminum Sig, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm nearly 100% sure you don't actually have any evidence of that assertion, so why make it. But if you do let's see it. One gun is not a statistical sample.