SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Problem with extended mags on Shield and the like
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with extended mags on Shield and the like Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
With the rebates, I got a Shield to check out. Actually I got a 9mm and .45. I have relatively small hands, but with the 9mm and the extended mag, the mag won't drop free because my hand is on it. I don't mean the front side, but actually on the back side, so even if I loosen my grip with my fingers, the fleshy part of my palm is still on the mag. My hands are small enough that I don't quite have the problem with the .45, but I'd imagine those of you with larger paws would have the problem with it as well.

I also recently bought a Springfield XDS, and I have the same problem with it. The way these extended mags are made they extend back and under the grip, so that your hand is on the back of the magazine. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but in the good old days the extended mags, or pinky extensions, extended on the front side of the grip panels, not on the back side.

Problem mag:

Pinky extensions:

Has anyone else noticed this or had this problem? Does anyone make extended mags for these pistols that wouldn't have the same issue?

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'5" 275 and have zero issue with mags dropping free from my 9mm shield. I will occasionally pinch my strong hand with a mag on the reload. I do practice regularly and practice cures most issues.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rarely discussed issue. I have a G19 with an X-Grip adapter for the 17 rd mags. Same problem. It's unfortunate, since I like the feel of the grip with it.

Could I eventually train myself out of it? Of course. But why? None of my other carry pistols have the issue. No way in Hell I'm going to adapt ANY technique for a single pistol/configuration. I don't use the X-Grip anymore.

When I drop the mag...I want the mag to drop...period. In a gunfight, I want to be able to concentrate on crapping my pants...not whether or not the empty mag drops.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not a great hardship to grasp the offending magazine with the fingers of the other hand and whip it free prior to inserting the new magazine.

Not a bad idea if it doesn't drop free, and it may not every time. Stripping the empty should be part of one's training, should it not?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When i carry the Shield, which is rare, i have it loaded with 7 round flat base plate, and one 8 round with Hyve +2 extended base plate. I have average sized hands and no issues.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
My EDC is a Glock 19 chopped down to a 26 size grip. This issue is the only downside I see in my configuration. I practice reloads regularly, but it is more difficult than with a 19. Something I've trained for.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Of course I can get the mag out. My complaint is that by design and in normal operation it does not drop free. And it seems unnecessary to me. I see no reason that the design couldn't be more like the pinky extensions, where you get more area in the front, but the back doesn't need to extend all the way to the backstrap.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Of course I can get the mag out. My complaint is that by design and in normal operation it does not drop free. And it seems unnecessary to me. I see no reason that the design couldn't be more like the pinky extensions, where you get more area in the front, but the back doesn't need to extend all the way to the backstrap.

If you remove the spacer from the 8 rounder, it won't extend all the way to your back strap and wil still function properly.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post