SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    226r MK25 worth the price?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226r MK25 worth the price? Login/Join 
posted
I'm back to the classic Sig 9mm platform after a brief foray into Gen 5 Glocks. I need to replace my house gun which was a 226R in 9mm. Is the MK25 worth the price? A shop nearby has one for $799 used. It felt good. But the 226R I traded on my Smith 625 was $499 used and worked just fine. Is it worth the difference in cost?

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
All depends on the price. $799 used is too much, even if OTD. Smile

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What makes you think of the Mk25? It's just a P226 with phosphate internals. Why not just get a regular P226 for much cheaper.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The MK25 is a great variant of the P226. But, it is nothing special and doesn’t fit in some of the P226R holsters. I recently picked up a lightly used gun for $675

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
The MK25 will have a chrome bore and the small extractor in addition to the parked internal parts and Pic rail.

Whether or not you feel that these features are worth the extra money over a standard P226 is up to you.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
The sticker don't forget about the sticker. Big Grin
I own several P226s including the MK25. It is a great gun don't get me wrong but if you are looking for a good house gun there is nothing wrong with a standard P226.
When the MK25 came out the biggest complaint was finding a holster other than that it is a great gun.
Remember in the end it is what your most comfortable with.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
The MK25 will have a chrome bore and the small extractor in addition to the parked internal parts and Pic rail.

Whether or not you feel that these features are worth the extra money over a standard P226 is up to you.

Point of order- not all MK25s have chrome lined bores. Some of the more recent guns have standard barrels. And if some of the later guns have corrosion resistant internals, I can not tell it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:

Point of order- not all MK25s have chrome lined bores. Some of the more recent guns have standard barrels. And if some of the later guns have corrosion resistant internals, I can not tell it.

I think that after the SEALs dumped the MK25, SIG just assembled whatever parts to complete the commercial market gun. So, yeah, don't expect the newer MK25 to have the original specs.

Q

posted Hide Post
SIG's website bills the Mk 25 has having corrosion-resistant internals but makes no mention of a chromed barrel:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...-mk25-full-size.html

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I think most (all?) of Beretta's handguns have chromed barrels.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
SIG's website bills the Mk 25 has having corrosion-resistant internals but makes no mention of a chromed barrel:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...-mk25-full-size.html

I just bought a MK25 that was shipped from Sig in July of 2018. What the manufacture date is, I don't know. The internals are coated & I'm pretty sure the barrel is chrome lined, because the barrel internals & feed ramp were a dull color silver. Not like the polished ramp on my other Sigs.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
The MK25 I purchased last year as well as all of the MK25s I have examined have had chrome bores, but I have heard that SIG may be making some without chrome bores. I just have not seen one yet.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
300 is not worth it. When I bought mine I got it for less than a standard 226. so it was worth it to me. I later traded it for a 226 SAO legion!!!

also the navy comes with three mags!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I like mine a lot. I also paid less for it NIB than what a standard E26R-9-BSS normally retails for. A few years ago there was a bunch of them flooding the market and deals were literally everywhere; I had bought mine at work with a very employee-friendly price only to find a few months later that dealers online were discounting the snot out of them and somehow selling them for even less, sometimes significantly so.

Back to the present: so is a used Mk25 worth $300 more than a comparable BSS P226? I'd usually say no, but I do prefer its M1913 rail over SIG's reimagined one. If you've gotta live with a rail it might as well be The Real Deal. The now standard E²-style grip on the P226 sucks to me, though to swap it out the factory plain grips only cost $20 to $25 or so. And I detest the trigger-slap short trigger that commonly ships with the BSS these days (so another $40 or so for a standard trigger, or often more if I can find an old school standard solid trigger on GB or eBay, like the one I put on my own Mk25).

While I don't carry my Mk25 (though I admit my sweat will cause guns to rust as my G23 can attest to), nor do I live near or forge through the salty waters of the Pacific or polluted Puget Sound with (or without) a sidearm in tow, so its phosphate-coated parts is kinda irrelevant in the end. Still, it's one of those 'kinda nice to know it's there' sort of things that's maybe a bit hard to put a price on. The extra mag is nice (another $40 or so), and with the other mods gets the price difference down to around $200.

So is that anchor on the side of the slide worth two C-notes? Well, there's at least one of them on that notorious auction site that are currently right around $500 with no reserve, and a couple in the 600s...so even that $200 difference isn't set in stone. I'd say hunt around if you think that the Mk25 is a P226 variant that you'd like to have; there ARE deals to be had if you spend the effort to find them.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to find the MK25 German frame

Posts: 1563 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I got a sweet deal on my Mk25. A Cabelas pricing faux Pas. The true Pic rail is a differentiator but not worth the price difference. It comes down to the light your going to use? If it works with the P226R, I’d say go for the P226R instead especially for a night stand gun.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the $300 difference, you could send the "el cheapo" puppy out to GrayGuns or buy one of Bruces's enhancement kits.

FWIW, in over 50 years of shooting, I've never had the internals on any gun rust. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Side question... how do you figure out if you have a chrome lined barrel.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post