SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Purchase Glock MOS or have slide milled?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchase Glock MOS or have slide milled? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The sitting lower is not something I think is a factor. We all live with height over bore issues on all kinds of guns. And a race gun 1911 is generally worse than any glock
System And those guys are the fastest of the fast. I have a large collection, milled, mos adapter plates and it simply does not make a hoot of difference.

It does make it more difficult to co-witness sights. Dawson is the only company I know making a sight tall enough to co-witness with the MOS guns. The sights seem ridiculously tall compared to standard suppressor height Sights that work with milled slides. You might also have holster issues with a front sight that tall. For just a range gun I’m sure MOS is fine but I carry a Glock 19 with RMR Co-witnesses with Ameriglo night sights.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused by your post. I have the same Trijicon suppressor height sites on everything. MOS or milled and they all work fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ok, I don't want to pollute this thread with stupidity too much, but are you saying that there is NO performance difference between the MOS and sending the gun to ATEi? I am mainly asking from a durability standpoint.

Let's say for instance that I wanted to be serious in carry optics with a Glock 34 and RMR07. If what I think you are saying is the case, the shooter would be a fool not to go with the Gen5 G34 already cut for the MOS.

Correct?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jljones This will not exactly answer your question. But I have now shot about 20K rounds (more or less - 2 full seasons) with an RMR equipped glock. Several of them to be clear. I have come to the conclusion that extra barrel length means squat when you have a dot, so while I started on a 34 MOS I migrated to a 17 MOS and then tried a 19 (ultimately went back to 17, but this season will try 19 slide on 17 frame).
To be clear I have had RMR issues, several times Type 1's have had to go back to Trijicon. I've so far not an issue with either the returned Type1's or the Type 2's. To your specific point I have also had several guns milled and used those, not as many rounds for sure. I have noticed NO differences in durability between the MOS guns and the guns I've had milled. My milling has been L&M and mostly PMM not ATEi so there is that. I do know that you don't want a milling job that fits a specific RMR as for sure then that RMR will suddenly have to go see Trijicon. I have learned exactly what one needs to do on the glock MOS adapter plate and the Trijicon adapter plate in terms of both torque specs and dielectric grease to prevent issue on the type 1's but the Type 2's don't seem to care, but that's not a big issue. I have had no issues with the MOS plate itself which is sometimes noted as fragile. I've not broken one for example. Nor do I have loosing issues. But like all the RMR's changing a battery involves a targeting/ adjustment trip. I have concluded that with an RMR you don't need a 34 length slide (the 34 has been my go to competition gun with irons forever) FWIW>
Lastly as I have said above the difference in height does not bother me and in a competition gun if the dot goes down your are f**** for score so irons are really not an issue.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^
Not so much the slide length as the only Gen5 offering with MOS at this time is the 34. And anything I'm going to do will be Gen5.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had PMM mill both a 17 G5 and a 19 G5 as I'm headed in the direction of G5 as well. I've pretty much convinced myself there is no upside of a G34 length for any of the competitions I shoot. If it helps I'll gladly loan you a milled slide to try. Its winter here so the only shooting I'm able to do is the tactical matches we have once a week which are all normally short range since they are indoors. I'm going to try a 19 slide on a 17 frame as my choice for the outdoor season when it arrives. I would have no issues recommending any MOS gun as I've had no issues of any kind related to that part of the system. Not that it matters but I've milled a bunch of different things at this point...1911, 226, 320, VP9, USP and probably something I'm forgetting. None have had issues that I can see related to the RMR on the slide. And each has a different mounting system.