SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Purchase Glock MOS or have slide milled?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchase Glock MOS or have slide milled? Login/Join 
Picture of mark60
posted
I'm interested in trying an RMR. Maybe to carry if I can become proficient, maybe just for a range toy. I know I'd put a Trijicon on the gun and don't know if having a slide milled is better than, worse than, or about equal to buying an MOS pistol. Is there an advantage either way other than the stock MOS gun accepting different optics and if not are there recommendations as to where to have a slide milled?

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally would just buy the MOS for simplicity

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Purchase.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Milling is better in theory, optic will sit as low as possible and you have some choices like iron sight placement. If you already have the gun, I'd get it milled. If you need to buy the gun, harder choice. MOS arrives ready to go and you aren't stuck with one optic choice, just doesn't sit as low as milled and you have no choice of placement of iron sights etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Since I was not sure whether or not I’d take to the RDS, I went with MOS...not limited to one RDS (I like the ability to try different options) easy to put back to stock configuration and much easier to sell down the road if so desired.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like milled better personally especially if you know the sight you want. The fit is tight and the lower it sits the more the whole thing is supported by not just the screws but the slide as well. I've read a few reports of MOS pates flying off though take that for what you will. You can find any report on the web if you look hard enough.

With that said I built a G19 piecemeal and got the slide from Brownells. If you decide to mill and then dont like it you can put a cover plate on it and thats like 5-45 dollars depending on your love of bling.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it makes any difference if you want to use an RMR. I have milled quite a few slides and have a bunch of MOS guns. If you don't feel committed to a specific optic then I think MOS is a better choice.
The theory about milling is better is just that.. theory. I've tens of thousands of rounds with both and I can't tell the difference at an operational level. If you can get backup irons that work that's good enough.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MOS is a great choice as you can get an inexpensive red dot to try out prior to spending double the money on a Trijicon. I had a Vortex red dot and was quite pleased with it and it was pretty rugged. Of course, Trijicon is the one to get.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
You can get an aftermarket milled slide for not too much more than it costs to have one milled. Suarez, brownells, etc.. are reasonably priced. I prefer milled to mos due to height, but would b hesitant to mill my slide if I wasn’t sure I’d like it.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are three i have done. Great for us old guys Smile.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 34 and 19 MOS. I wasn’t sure if I’d like the RMR. I’m happy with them but if I had to do it again, I’d just buy two plain 19 and get a slide milled. There’s more metal to grab the tiny screws which have to be locktited or checked regularly.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
I have a 34 and 19 MOS. I wasn’t sure if I’d like the RMR. I’m happy with them but if I had to do it again, I’d just buy two plain 19 and get a slide milled. There’s more metal to grab the tiny screws which have to be locktited or checked regularly.

I went with a Suarez slide in a 19 and had Suarez mill a 26. Agree on the MOS, I recently sold mine. Attachment just is not as secure.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t there issues with the MOS plates breaking?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I would go milled by ATEi or Jagerwerks... the RMR will fit perfectly, they milled recoil bosses onto the pocket, I know ATEi tap to 6-40 thread, which self locks without locktite....

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
After going back and forth I'm going to send my Gen 5 slide off to Jagerworks. My Gen 3 has been my daily carry for more years than I remember so I don't want to cut that one. I do like the idea of the rmr sitting lower and locked into the slide. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know ATEi tap to 6-40 thread, which self locks without locktite....

This is of course total nonsense.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasn’t there issues with the MOS plates breaking?

I have heard of some stories of the adapter plates breaking when mistreated (dropped specifically) but I have not heard of one breaking on a gun. But to be truthful I have not searched about it. I have 20K rounds in MOS guns and I've none of the above mentioned issues.

posted Hide Post
The MOS gun is a decent mounting system. I haven’t seen them break but the do come loose and require periodic tightness checks. The other downside is they sit higher than milling.

Quality milling is the way to go if you know what you want.

Another option is the ATOM system. Unity ATOM slides are pricey but L&M Precision is not licensed to cut regular slides for the ATOM mounting system, which, while modular, sits lower and is more secure than the MOS.

The results with drop in mounts like the Raven Balor and the Dueck Defense Have been good.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sitting lower is not something I think is a factor. We all live with height over bore issues on all kinds of guns. And a race gun 1911 is generally worse than any glock
System And those guys are the fastest of the fast. I have a large collection, milled, mos adapter plates and it simply does not make a hoot of difference.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The sitting lower is not something I think is a factor. We all live with height over bore issues on all kinds of guns. And a race gun 1911 is generally worse than any glock
System And those guys are the fastest of the fast. I have a large collection, milled, mos adapter plates and it simply does not make a hoot of difference.

How about for concealed carry? Do you think the height difference would be a factor or is it still pretty minimal?

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post