SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gun store guys - How is P365 effecting sales of the competition?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun store guys - How is P365 effecting sales of the competition? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
The P365 has gotten a huge amount of buzz since it's release. And judging from the traffic here and elsewhere, a lot of these are getting bought.

For those in the gun business, how is this effecting sales of the competition. We know all the usual suspects, the Shield, the Glock 43, various Kahrs, Ruger LC9s, etc.. Are they still selling well in addition to the P365, or is the SIG dominating sales, insofar as there's enough supply?

It would be interesting to see the business side view of this. I'm wondering if the other manufacturers are going stand pat, or will feel the need to update their guns (mostly figure out how to add capacity without much size increase), to match the SIG?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well most places have had very small numbers of them. Stores have waiting lists and as soon as they come in they are allocated. I’m guessing supply won’t meet demand until sometime this summer. People might be holding off on buying other guns until they can get their hands on a 365. I went to the Charlotte Gunshow today and only one dealer had them for $699 Roll Eyes

I scored one earlier in the week for $550 which I don’t think was bad considering they are going for $650 on GB.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I was at a large local shop today and the guy behind the counter said they get them in 3 or 4 at a time and they sell the same day. They kept one for people to fondle. He said they have 100 on order.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell at this point if the P365 will affect its competition... Obviously the P365 doesn’t last over a day on any shelf it falls on, but until all of them are readily available it’s hard to say if the P365 will affect the other competitors.

I think price may come into play once the dust settles from the P365 release. The P365 after dust settles should find its price point in the $500 neighborhood, which would put it in the Glock 43 area. The LC9s, Ec9, shield, kahrs, etc are all $200 or so less so I believe that will come into play for a lot of people that will believe $200 or more far outweighs 2-3 extra bullets in their carry gun.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Based on my experience, I don't believe the P365 will have any effect on the competition's sales,or maybe it will help them. My experience:

I've been on the lookout for a 320X carry for weeks. All the shops have the same story, we get one and it sells right away. But, we have several Glock 19X in stock if you want to look at one. And the Glock wins unless you might be holding out for the rear sight plate.

The P365 story is the same, the one or two that show up sell, and the shelf is empty. But the shop has G43's and they are selling. One shop told me they have sold G43's to almost everyone looking for a P365.

Unless you have a safe full of Sig's and want the latest you may decide to buy what's available. I know Sig wants to sell pistols but they seem to be dragging their feet with these two.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hi-power man:
Based on my experience, I don't believe the P365 will have any effect on the competition's sales,or maybe it will help them. My experience:

I've been on the lookout for a 320X carry for weeks. All the shops have the same story, we get one and it sells right away. But, we have several Glock 19X in stock if you want to look at one. And the Glock wins unless you might be holding out for the rear sight plate.

The P365 story is the same, the one or two that show up sell, and the shelf is empty. But the shop has G43's and they are selling. One shop told me they have sold G43's to almost everyone looking for a P365.

Unless you have a safe full of Sig's and want the latest you may decide to buy what's available. I know Sig wants to sell pistols but they seem to be dragging their feet with these two.

At the gunshow today there were tons of 320X Carrys and none where being sold. A couple vendors had them discounted.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah with summer coming people want a slim CCW, so if the p365 ain't in stock, they'll likely buy a G43 / PPS / Shield and be done with it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
We haven't had enough 365s to feel things out for sure, but once SIG rolls them out in massive numbers I tend to think that their subcompact competition will be in huge trouble. The few SIGs we got in yesterday vanished in hours; they all went to buyers looking specifically for the gun. To a person none were interested at all in comparing the 365 to any other gun, as I said these individuals were already fixated on the SIG. When the initial rush subsides some and dealers can actually keep them in stock more than a few days, then we'll see just how things will go when the casual, undecided shopper has a chance at them.

It's only my opinion, but I will add that before the next batch of 365s arrive, our shop would be best served to sell as many Shields, LC9-Ss, XDSs, 938s, etc. that we already have in inventory as we can. We're already OUT of G43s and have been since February (except for one G43 with a CT laser), as distributors have had extremely low to no inventory on the littlest 9mm Glock since Christmas.

We're still selling G19s like crazy, particularly the Gen5s. Maybe when the 365 arrives in large numbers even those sales might change.

EDIT: I forgot to add that we were selling ours for $549. Still below MSRP but frankly I thought that was actually too high considering what we paid for them and the usual margins we see in the gun business. But I don't have final say on things like this. And high demand does weird things. Just a tidbit to pass along...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think once things settle down and the folks who gotta have the latest gun the week it comes out get their fill the price will be around $499. The people who want max ammo capacity will pay that price but many buyers will still think 7 or 8 rounds in a subcompact is fine considering that the Shield 2.0 is $150 less and the Ruger EC9s is $250 less.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Okay. Part of the reason I'm asking this questions is to determine if the P365 will force the other big players in the SS subcompact market to redesign their offerings to be single stack sized double stacks (a la the P365)?

In particular, Smith had released the Shield 2.0 a few months before the P365. They probably wanted that release to make money for them for several years before having to redesign it again. I thinking the P365 release will likely moot that plan. If they want to keep their market share from slipping, Smith (and Glock, Ruger, etc.), may be forced to do redesigns much more quickly then they had planned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Okay. Part of the reason I'm asking this questions is to determine if the P365 will force the other big players in the SS subcompact market to redesign their offerings to be single stack sized double stacks (a la the P365)?

In particular, Smith had released the Shield 2.0 a few months before the P365. They probably wanted that release to make money for them for several years before having to redesign it again. I thinking the P365 release will likely moot that plan. If they want to keep their market share from slipping, Smith (and Glock, Ruger, etc.), may be forced to do redesigns much more quickly then they had planned.

Smith is probably the company most poised to follow suit. The 365 was built around the magazine and the Shield mag is already staggered in a “single stack” mag. For them it probably would not be that hard.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Shield also one of the biggest of the SS subcompacts. If SIG can squeeze 10 rounds into the P365, Smith should be able squeeze at least that much into the Shield.

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Smith is probably the company most poised to follow suit. The 365 was built around the magazine and the Shield mag is already staggered in a “single stack” mag. For them it probably would not be that hard.

posted Hide Post
Firing pins breaking along with other issues will keep me from buying right away.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell you.

None of our distributors have been able to get any 365s to us yet. Frown

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Innovative manufacturers that have been keeping tabs on the 365 will roll out a comparative product and without issues so Sigs success will be short lived. I can only speculate a Ruger with similar “365” dimensions being processed through its stages of development as this thread rolls on. I’m not in any rush to own a 365 and am somewhat amused when I’m in a store and folks wander in looking for a 365. Where is Mr. Haney when you need’em?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am willing to bet the 365 will have magazine issues. Cramming that much ammo in that tiny mag.....yup just wait.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Hard to tell at this point if the P365 will affect its competition... Obviously the P365 doesn’t last over a day on any shelf it falls on, but until all of them are readily available it’s hard to say if the P365 will affect the other competitors.

I think price may come into play once the dust settles from the P365 release. The P365 after dust settles should find its price point in the $500 neighborhood, which would put it in the Glock 43 area. The LC9s, Ec9, shield, kahrs, etc are all $200 or so less so I believe that will come into play for a lot of people that will believe $200 or more far outweighs 2-3 extra bullets in their carry gun.

The $200 difference you're figuring doesn't factor in night sights. None of those cheaper offerings come with factory night sights. The difference is more accurately about $100, and that might be close enough to justify the extra 2-5 rounds.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm excited to get my hands on one.

But really, guy?

How is it "effecting sales,?"

It isn't yet. Give it a minute.

Everyone seems to want one, and no one can get one fast enough, which is great.

But fucks sake, give it a minute.

I'll just take a stab in the dark, and wager that people who can't get a P365, either already have something else, or if they really need something, will buy something else.

When they are available in any serious quantity, I imagine they'll sell well. At that point, perhaps we can judge what they are doing to the competition.

We're not there yet.

I told you to go before we left the house.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
My local FFL can't keep them in stock. He has a waiting list for them. His comment was that "SIG can't make them fast enough."

Then again, its the new kid on the block.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I handled one at the local Field and Stream store. They had it priced with a holster for $670 I think. I didn't think it worth replacing my Shield for a 2 round gain. I mean it felt ok for what it was. Not for$700 after tax though.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post