SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone but me ever wonder about this?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Anyone but me ever wonder about this? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Why Sig USA does not triple serial number their pistols. I for one really wish they would. At least that way when you get one you would know if one part of it in newer than the other or one part is closer to being worn out than another. This is just my thoughts, am I off base on my thinking?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Because they would rather have a pile or slides, frames, and barrels and just slap them together like LEGO pieces. It takes more time and money to match pieces. It also might be a requirement in forgein countries to serialize parts.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ I can see your point as Sig comes out with some crazy variants at times but they look good. I know Glock did it on the gen 4 pistols but do they still do it on their gen 5 pistols? Not that you can compare Sig and Glock pistols as they are worlds apart.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Report This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why Sig USA does not triple serial number their pistols.

Cost. As Dusty78 says, it takes time and money to serialize parts and provides them nothing in return.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Report This Post
posted Hide Post
How could you tell how close a part is to being "worn out" by the serial number?

Round count is what can cause wear

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Because they only did it initially because they were required to do so in Europe.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what people think matching aerials accomplishes. It's not like one hunk of metal is carefully milled into all the various parts. Generally, barrels are made from steel, slides from stainless steel and frames from aluminum alloy. They're made from different materials on different tooling. And it's not like serial numbers are preordained.

What exactly is going to wear out quickly between a slide, frame and barrel?

The only time I can appreciate matching numbers is with AK parts kits. And that's just because some tolerances can be loose, and it's nice to know that that parts you got were known to have worked together. Even then, it doesn't mean all that much, because you're putting it together with a new receiver and barrel, which changes a lot.

Anyway, matching serials may have some use for mil or leo organizations, where they service a large number of identical firearms. Even then, who's to say if a part was replaced that they didn't just stamp or etch the serial number on it?

But for private use it simply doesn't matter.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's nice for the consumers to have, but for SIG, it's a cost thing as stated. So, no good reasons for them to do it.

The only current US made SIG that has the triple numbers is the P226 LDC. And, that's only because it is destined for the German market.

Heck, even the Germans don't have law requiring triple serial numbers. All their Xguns only have serial numbers on frame and slide. Proof marks required on the 3 major parts, yes, because of CIP rules, but not serial numbers.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We are going to stop with these click-bait, vague thread titles or I'm gonna lock every one of them.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post