SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for a Kydex retention holster for Glock 27
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Kydex retention holster for Glock 27 Login/Join 
posted
I'd like to have a durable, washable holster to carry my G27 when out ATV riding. I'd prefer it have some additional retention beyond friction. Most retention holster seem to be for full size pistols and are designed for LEO belts. Something a little more compact and discreet would be better.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Check out the Blackhawk serpa holster. They make it for the baby glocks. Safariland also makes the ALS security holsters for the baby Glocks. The newer style are all plastic, as opposed to the earlier ones which had a suede lining. There’s is nothing wrong with the lining, but it may not be as well suited to washing off after riding.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
If you Google "Serpa problems" or "Serpa banned" there are days worth of reading on why to avoid those based upon how close it puts your finger to the trigger with the release mechanism.

Safariland has a concealable ALS series or even lower profile is the Bianchi Carrylok line. I've always found a simple thumb snap to work just fine.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

I’ve read about the Serpa issues, but not particularly concerned in this case. Locking it in securely is far more important than draw speed, so pulling it out would be a deliberate action. This is not going to be my EDC set up.

I’ve tried a thumb snap, but it frequently gets popped by the harnesses. This is a side by side UTV with seats and harnesses, not a quad.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Serpa for my G-26. It came with both a belt and paddle attachment. I use the paddle. The holster holds the gun up high and tight with a good belt and seems to be very durable. Just keep an eye on the screws or use loctite. They will work loose.

I understand the issues some have with this holster and I do keep them in the back of my mind when using it. So far no issues.

Search Amazon if you choose to go with the serpa. Several months ago I ended up getting two of them (one for g-26, one for G-22) and ended up getting both for about the same price as my original one I picked up years ago.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Squared away customs makes kydex holsters using the Sarailand sls hood. the 5.0 is a good holster

Posts: 442 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retention holster, thy name is Safariland. Go to HolsterOps.com and choose wisely.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Get a Safariland ALS holster. Model 6377, 6378, 7377, or 7378. They're all offered for the G26/G27.

(The xx77 models have belt loops only. The xx78 models have both belt loop and paddle attachment options. The 63xx models have suede lining. The 73xx models are plastic lined. All the holsters are functionally identical otherwise.)

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I ordered a Safariland 7377. Looks like a better retention system than the Serpa.

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I have a few Safariland ALS 6378 paddle holsters for various sized Glocks. The holsters are top notch for quality and for their intended purpose of having a securing thumb release.
Honestly though they have a little more bulk than a holster using friction. You said you wanted something low profile, these conceal underneath a work coat in the field but not as well as tightly fitted friction Kydex belt holster.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is absolutely no reason to carry a SERPA. It is unsafe and lacks in quality. I foolishly used one for a few years but would never go back.

Even a properly fitted/made kydex holster is a better option than the SERPA.

For active retention, the Safariland ALS tops all others.

If you carry a G27, I would also recommend an SCD by Tau Development Group.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
When I’m out riding my dirt bike, I carry in a fanny pack. It’s comfortable and very secure. Have you thought about going that route? I typically carry a water bottle on mine. I also have then in dark green and navy so they don’t look tacticool.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safariland 7377 als holster in 7ts is a great holster

Posts: 442 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Thanks guys. I ordered a Safariland 7377. Looks like a better retention system than the Serpa.

You will never regret this purchase.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to use a leather concealment holster with a thumb snap for dirtbike riding with my g20.
I ended up switching to a regular ccw kydex holster that uses just friction. I tightened it down to the point where it’s kinda hard to get it out unless you pull it quickly and haven’t had any problems, including when I wrecked and broke my shoulder, my gun didn’t budge after I went flying and landed right on it

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheNewbie:
There is absolutely no reason to carry a SERPA. It is unsafe and lacks in quality. I foolishly used one for a few years but would never go back.

Even a properly fitted/made kydex holster is a better option than the SERPA.

For active retention, the Safariland ALS tops all others.

If you carry a G27, I would also recommend an SCD by Tau Development Group.

There’s nothing wrong with Serpa holsters. I’ve not had an issue in several thousand times I’ve pulled a gun out of a Serpa holster nor do I know anyone who has. My trigger finger sits along the slide when I pull the gun, just as it does out of a safariland.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Serpa Holster" issue is well known and well documented.

Under stress and fatigue this holster fails due to the retention mechanism being directly in line with the trigger on withdrawing the weapon.

By name this is the only holster that is routinely banned by ranges and training schools.

The original OP has made an excellent choice with Safariland.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I would look at the Safariland GLS series. Cheaper, durable and has a better locking mechanism that the Serpa. Mud can get under the release button on a serpa and lock it up.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post