SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Argentine FM 90 Hi Power
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentine FM 90 Hi Power Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I have the opportunity to buy a lightly used FM 90, which is an Argentine-made Browning Hi-Power clone, for ~$300. Seems like a good price, considering it looks like they were selling for that same price about 20 years ago.

What is your experience with the FM 90? Worth a few hundred as a range toy and intro to the Hi-Power platform?

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak as one with experience with an Argentine version of the BHP...

However, if it were in good condition, or better, I probably wouldn’t hesitate at that price.

Please post pictures when you can.

-Bill

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kokopelli
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of them and would buy that in a heartbeat. They are well made, and parts interchange.

Posts: 246 | Registered: September 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've owned the Detective chopped version of the FM M90 since early 1994. I originally tweaked it removing the magazine disconnect, and installing Cylinder & Slide safety and trigger. Then I stippled the front and back of the grip frame, blued the gun, and added Spegel grips. It has remained rock solid.

For $300 I'd say it is a steal and to grab it!

I also own a customized FN MKIII Hi-Power. As great as it is, I find the chopped Detective gets more love. LOL

As an aside, dual recoil springs for the Detective model were not available from FM but the CZ75 Compact 17lb recoil spring Wolff #53917 worked well enough. More recently factory style dual spring kits have been available here: https://bhspringsolutions.com/22-fm90-detective

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear very good things about the Argentine manufactured Browning Hi-Power clone. If I found one for that I wouldn't be asking about it. It would already be mine!

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have stated.....if it's in nice shape, grab it and thank your lucky stars for a "Hell of a Deal". I had a couple FM's over the decades and they were just as good as the FN's.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I have the opportunity to buy a lightly used FM 90, which is an Argentine-made Browning Hi-Power clone, for ~$300. Seems like a good price, considering it looks like they were selling for that same price about 20 years ago.

What is your experience with the FM 90? Worth a few hundred as a range toy and intro to the Hi-Power platform?

Rogue, I've never owned one but I've shot a friend's extensively. It was a great shooter. We were shooting it with 13 round mags and FMJ. There were no malfunctions, but we didn't shoot any JHP. For the price, I just don't see how you can go wrong.

I did get a little bit of hammer bite because of my high grip, but that's easily remedied with a hammer change. Other than that, slim, easy on recoil, accurate. I say get it and get to customizing! Razz The Hi Power design is one of my favorite all time handguns, if not my very favorite. Keep us posted!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
I did get a little bit of hammer bite because of my high grip, but that's easily remedied with a hammer change.

That was my experience the one previous time I fired a Hi-Power.

But that was with the standard spur hammer. This one comes with the rounded hammer.

Same configuration at this one, with the faux Pachmayers and ring hammer:

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in my clutch of BHPs, also the "Detective" model. They both work as well as all the other BHPs I have, including my Novak customized model.
For that price you are getting a "real" BHP; all parts except a couple on the "Detective" interchange with the Browning originals. Grab it.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
The FM and FIG Hi Power clones are some of the best. Seems like these are going up in price since Browning discontinued its production. In the current market of plastic frame guns I am to the point that any all metal pistol of good quality at or under $300 is hard to pass up.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More accurate than a well used Inglis or a made in Belgium assembled in Portugal BHP that was practically NIB. At that price, absolutely a buy.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post