SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Production P229R at 1700 rounds
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Production P229R at 1700 rounds Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted

In a similar vein to the M&P 2.0 thread that I started on a gun I was shooting, I thought I would start one on this specimen. I posted a recent thread to see what people thought about the current quality of SIG DA/SA pistols, and most seem to agree that we live in good times as it comes to SIG DA/SA pistols. The drama around the P320 and recently the P365 and the bad-news-travels-fastest internet buzz that it creates seems to cloud the fact that for the most part SIG is doing a pretty damn good job at turning out quality DA/SA guns.

The gun is a new production SIG Sauer P229 9mm with the E2 grips. The gun came with factory night sights, but sadly the one thing that SIG doesn't seem to care to get right on these guns is the fact that they stick whatever sight they want to on the gun, and it doesn't zero at all. I removed the factory sights, replaced them with a set of Trijicon HD night sights, and the gun zeros perfectly. I pick where I want the round to go and place the tip of the front sight there, a smooth prep through, and at 25 yards it hits POA/POI like a champ.

I spent the first 1200 rounds really just deciding if I liked the gun. Not that there was anything wrong with it, not that I mind the dreaded long extractor, or anything else. I have just spent all of my time shooting P226s and SP2022s. I spent a lot of that time doing comparison stuff to examine how the gun recoils compared to the recoil impulse of the SP2022 and the P226. I found something to be true that Piedrarc told me a short time back. The P229 is properly sprung when it comes to the recoil spring. It doesn't dip when the slide closes like the factory 9mm P226 does.

The first thing I noticed in the initial rounds is that the recoil is sharper than the 226, but it is also quicker. Shooting one second splits, or half second splits in cadence drills I find myself sitting there with the trigger prepped waiting for the time to be up to shoot the next round. The gun cycles seems to cycle faster and the prep seems a bit easier. I stopped last night at 1700 rounds.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It will start failing at 1701. Razz

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It is an "odd" number.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info

P220 Legion
P227 SAS
M11-A1
P229 legion (357 and 40)
CZ 75 tactical
CZ PCR

Posts: 10 | Registered: August 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You prefer the E2’s over standard stocks?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice picture. Grips look good at pistol. Nice post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yes that pic prominently focused on that ghastly spent case puller just ruined the rest of my weekend, if not the remainder of said life. The things one can't unsee...

I like my P229 Classic Carry a whole lot. The P229 line remains one of my favorite SIGs to shoot in any caliber, even those unfortunate ones saddled with the (grumble) mile-long extractor.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I spent a lot of that time doing comparison stuff to examine how the gun recoils compared to the recoil impulse of the SP2022 and the P226. I found something to be true that Piedrarc told me a short time back. The P229 is properly sprung when it comes to the recoil spring. It doesn't dip when the slide closes like the factory 9mm P226 does.

Please do elaborate.

I'm about *this* close from pulling the trigger on a new production 9mm P226 (I've only had maybe 5 rounds through a friend's P226 about 5 years ago so I have no recollection of how that gun felt), but have always liked my 9mm P229 and 9mm SP2022 very much.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
You prefer the E2’s over standard stocks?

I really don't know yet. I have got friends that have hatred toward the E2s like some people hate the long extractor. I'll probably put on a set of standard stocks on the same gun and see what I think. I do know that the P229 being a little fatter around the slide stop is noticeable on both.

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Yes that pic prominently focused on that ghastly spent case puller just ruined the rest of my weekend, if not the remainder of said life. The things one can't unsee...

I like my P229 Classic Carry a whole lot. The P229 line remains one of my favorite SIGs to shoot in any caliber, even those unfortunate ones saddled with the (grumble) mile-long extractor.

Glad I can help. It's all about being helpful...........

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:
I spent a lot of that time doing comparison stuff to examine how the gun recoils compared to the recoil impulse of the SP2022 and the P226. I found something to be true that Piedrarc told me a short time back. The P229 is properly sprung when it comes to the recoil spring. It doesn't dip when the slide closes like the factory 9mm P226 does.

Please do elaborate.

I'm about *this* close from pulling the trigger on a new production 9mm P226 (I've only had maybe 5 rounds through a friend's P226 about 5 years ago so I have no recollection of how that gun felt), but have always liked my 9mm P229 and 9mm SP2022 very much.

The P226 is a bit over sprung. When the slide cycles, the weight of the recoil spring causes the gun to dip when the slide goes back into battery. It's just the force of the slide closing that causes the dip. At speed, you have to then correct that dip by forcing the sights back on to the aiming point. It is easily taken care of by shopping for the right recoil spring, and then shooting a little slo mo video.

https://instagram.com/p/BmI6jSogtzu/

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Please do elaborate.

The P226 is a bit over sprung. When the slide cycles, the weight of the recoil spring causes the gun to dip when the slide goes back into battery. It's just the force of the slide closing that causes the dip. At speed, you have to then correct that dip by forcing the sights back on to the aiming point. It is easily taken care of by shopping for the right recoil spring, and then shooting a little slo mo video.

https://instagram.com/p/BmI6jSogtzu/

Thank you. I understand.

Is the over-sprung-ness of the P226 a deal-breaker that, given all other things (extended mags available, sight radius, versatility as a duty sidearm, balance (especially with a TLR-1HL), shootable accuracy out to 25 yds), would cause you to choose a P229 over a P226 if given the choice? Or is there a particular spring weight for the P226 that you've found brings things into balance (no dip, reliable cycling)?

Thanks in advance...I really respect your advice and am leaning on the wisdom of you guys here as I lack the opportunities to A/B all the pistols you guys run.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents...........

I wouldn't say the spring is a deal breaker, but it does come into play when you run the gun fast and hard. If we are talking about balance, my opinion the 229 wins. I carried a S&W 4006 on duty for over a decade and it's about the same size as the 229, but had a steel frame and was brick heavy. Size as duty gun, I think its just as capable as a 226.

I spent time on a 226 and 229, although the 226 should be a better performer... I prefer the 229 cause it is so well balanced for its size and found even distance shots were no problem. I believe the furtherest I shot was 50 yards with it. With the stock recoil spring I was able to run everything from 115 to 147's factory and reloads with sights returning consistently. Great gun.
Quick stage from USPSA with a 229.

My only draw back was trying to find the right concealable holster. Man, what a task and I was never able to fulfill that one. Bummer too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: piedrarc,

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 229 is really a fantastic pistol. And as piedrarc mentioned it is great in uspsa. If you go to 2:20 in the video below I shot mine at 100 and 50 yards with pretty amazing accuracy considering who was pulling the trigger. My 229 extreme was my first gun a few years ago, and now I shoot a lot of Hk's and SIG's, but the 229 is still my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ3IAUaLikw&t=13s

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A little light run today. 100 rounds out of the P229, 100 rounds out of an SP2022. Ran the Hunt Conditioning Drill several times, resting about 10 minutes between runs. The last 45 yard run kicks my ass, and I run out of gas pretty quick.

The Hunt Test is a rifle drill that I decided to start running it with a pistol. All body shots have to be in the eight inch circle, the head shot has to be in the four inch circle. You start out touching the target. Each time you run to a yard line and shoot, then run back to the target.

5 yard line- Fire 5 rounds
10 yard line- Fire 4 rounds
15 yard line- Fire 3 rounds
20 yard line- Fire 2 rounds
25 yard line- Fire 1 round (headshot)

Time ends when you fire the headshot. Best I have been able to run it in is 60.4 seconds. The par time with the rifle is 50 seconds.

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you. I understand.

Is the over-sprung-ness of the P226 a deal-breaker that, given all other things (extended mags available, sight radius, versatility as a duty sidearm, balance (especially with a TLR-1HL), shootable accuracy out to 25 yds), would cause you to choose a P229 over a P226 if given the choice? Or is there a particular spring weight for the P226 that you've found brings things into balance (no dip, reliable cycling)?

Thanks in advance...I really respect your advice and am leaning on the wisdom of you guys here as I lack the opportunities to A/B all the pistols you guys run.

Let's break this down piece by piece. The muzzle dip is an easy thing to beat. Really easy. Buy two or three different Wolfe recoil springs, and do a little slo mo filming with the rounds you are going to be shooting. No heartburn or muss or fuss.

Other things-

Extended mags available- Equal. You can get mag extenders from Springer and other places to put the 229 on par with the P226. How many rounds do you need? With the exception of me, the rest of the guys on the team view the pistol as a secondary weapon. Even on my duty G17, I don't carry extended magazines.

Sight radius- Equal. Inside of 50 yards the extra little bit you get off of a standard P226 is of no real help. I love Trijicon HDs and they rock on either gun. I routinely shoot my P226s and P229 making headshots at 25, and keep them in the 8 inch circle at 50. I'm talking drawing and shooting at the 25 and 50, first shot DA like a man. No issues at all, dude.

Versatility- They are basically the same size pistol. The P226/P229 isn't exactly like the Glock 17 and 19. The size difference of the two is negligible. So much so, that it was MY dumbass that never gave the P229/9 a solid look because the P226 did business so well.

Overall balance and light bearing- See above. The difference is the recoil impulse. The best way I can explain it is that the P229 is sharper and faster, while not being a problem to maintain. When I shoot the P226 it seems like the gun rolls and then it's like "Hey there are those sights, am I prepped and ready?" The P229 is like "The sights are already here, I had better be prepped and ready."

25/50 yard accuracy- See above. They are really close to the same gun. Both zero really well with Trijicons. A good called 25 yard head shot is 2.3 seconds for me. I mean "Yeah, I am about to put the MF'er through the left eye" kind of called head shot. Both guns will do that no problem. Body shot at 50 is about 2.5 seconds.

It comes down to your choice in what you want, and frankly, all the advice I have is go hold both in a shop, make a decision, and then never look back. You are not going to go right or wrong on this. Both are excellent choices, and quite frankly it is only been the last year that I can say that. I thought the P226 was snobbishly superior. It's not. They really are equals. Me, myself, I was promised a loaner LDC and it never showed. I doubt at this point if I touch a P226 for the rest of the year while I invest time in this P226.

Pick one. Train. Shoot a lot. Enjoy.

www.opspectraining.com

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
The 229 is really a fantastic pistol. And as piedrarc mentioned it is great in uspsa. If you go to 2:20 in the video below I shot mine at 100 and 50 yards with pretty amazing accuracy considering who was pulling the trigger. My 229 extreme was my first gun a few years ago, and now I shoot a lot of Hk's and SIG's, but the 229 is still my favorite.

That sir was a high ranking cool ! Never seen a night match before. You have great control of your DA first round. Dig the audio too.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Jerry, do you think the recoil impulse would be different between a NR P226 with folded steel slide vs railed frame with a heavier bar stock slide ? The lighter pistol would seem to present sharper recoil and the muzzle dip on slide close. BTW, you should have made the slo mo vid with your P226 as well.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thank you. I understand.

Let's break this down piece by piece. The muzzle dip is an easy thing to beat. Really easy. Buy two or three different Wolfe recoil springs, and do a little slo mo filming with the rounds you are going to be shooting. No heartburn or muss or fuss.

Other things-

Extended mags available- Equal. You can get mag extenders from Springer and other places to put the 229 on par with the P226. How many rounds do you need? With the exception of me, the rest of the guys on the team view the pistol as a secondary weapon. Even on my duty G17, I don't carry extended magazines.

Sight radius- Equal. Inside of 50 yards the extra little bit you get off of a standard P226 is of no real help. I love Trijicon HDs and they rock on either gun. I routinely shoot my P226s and P229 making headshots at 25, and keep them in the 8 inch circle at 50. I'm talking drawing and shooting at the 25 and 50, first shot DA like a man. No issues at all, dude.

Versatility- They are basically the same size pistol. The P226/P229 isn't exactly like the Glock 17 and 19. The size difference of the two is negligible. So much so, that it was MY dumbass that never gave the P229/9 a solid look because the P226 did business so well.

Overall balance and light bearing- See above. The difference is the recoil impulse. The best way I can explain it is that the P229 is sharper and faster, while not being a problem to maintain. When I shoot the P226 it seems like the gun rolls and then it's like "Hey there are those sights, am I prepped and ready?" The P229 is like "The sights are already here, I had better be prepped and ready."

25/50 yard accuracy- See above. They are really close to the same gun. Both zero really well with Trijicons. A good called 25 yard head shot is 2.3 seconds for me. I mean "Yeah, I am about to put the MF'er through the left eye" kind of called head shot. Both guns will do that no problem. Body shot at 50 is about 2.5 seconds.

It comes down to your choice in what you want, and frankly, all the advice I have is go hold both in a shop, make a decision, and then never look back. You are not going to go right or wrong on this. Both are excellent choices, and quite frankly it is only been the last year that I can say that. I thought the P226 was snobbishly superior. It's not. They really are equals. Me, myself, I was promised a loaner LDC and it never showed. I doubt at this point if I touch a P226 for the rest of the year while I invest time in this P226.

Pick one. Train. Shoot a lot. Enjoy.

This right here is one huge reason why this forum rocks.

Thanks man. What an above-and-beyond answer to my question. Very much appreciated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:

That sir was a high ranking cool ! Never seen a night match before. You have great control of your DA first round. Dig the audio too.

Thank you! I am lucky that our club runs a match every thursday night. During summer we usually finish before it gets too dark, but winter it gets dark pretty quickSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post