SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    West German P226 Nickel plated - I want one
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West German P226 Nickel plated - I want one Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Why not buy a stainless Elite if you cannot get a nickel one. You can always polish it.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I do believe that you have missed the point entirely.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indreams84:
Ironically mine came in same case, in very similar condition, although my serial is 419-XXX. It is unfortunate one cannot verify if factory nickel other than box, but I am 95% certain it is due to quality of plating and nickel mag.

20191224_085447 by m b, on Flickr

one issue is that those of us back in that era who could not find an EN'd SIG at our gun stores were able to send our Blue'd pistols off to Klein Plating and get the same quality and type EN'd pistol (since they were the vendor for SIGArms at that time)...I have or have had Klein Plated P226, (2) P220s, a P228 and a P230 all sent off to Klein Plating to get their EN finish...

I would never tell anyone that I have a "factory" EN'd pistol but have shared this information to show what you could have that would be indistinguishable from the "factory" EN...

without some corroborating evidence I think you would agree that it might be impossible to prove you have a EN pistol from SIGArms or from someone who sent their SIG pistol to Klein to get the EN applied after purchase as I did several times over the years...

Good luck,

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ All valid points- Got any pics of your Klein guns? That would be nice to see!

I would never advertise it as 100% factory original finish IF I wanted to sell, but I have seen many, many Sigs in my time original and otherwise refinished and feel confident this is the real deal (I am not ever selling it, I love the looks and obv its not a unfired safe queen).

FWIW Ford's Custom Refinishing (well known for P7s and high end gun refinishing) stated they could not replicate the EN finish on this gun when I dropped off my other P226 in their shop for Two Tone restoration recently. Too bad Klein doesn't offer plating anymore on Sigs.

Posts: 93 | Location: Gulf Coast, FL | Registered: September 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
I agree...I wish they did too...

fullsizeoutput_2d by wlegg206, on Flickr

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
P220 with a Klein frame and a CCR slide...
1994 P220 EN Klein frame/CCR slide by wlegg206, on Flickr

Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
...alas the P230, one of the P220s and the P226 are long gone...but someone else is enjoying them

My P230 by wlegg206, on Flickr

Bill

posted Hide Post
My wife’s West German. Just got it, unfired. Still has cosmoline from 1989.

Posts: 21 | Location: Bedford, Tx | Registered: December 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The wife’s P226...I’ve used that one too Razz

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palehorse01:

Are those CTC laser grips? Did the pitol come with original grips as well?

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas

They are. It did not come with original grips. I suppose I could find some, but it’s not that important to me. My wife prefers wood.

Posts: 21 | Location: Bedford, Tx | Registered: December 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
You might be able to find someone in the classifieds here who would be interested in swapping your CTC's for a nice set of wood grips. Congrats on a nice pistol!

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas

My wife prefers wood.

That's what she said....

sorry, couldn't help myself...

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought two tone nickels prior to 1994-1995 did not have nickel controls, just the slide? I know this is true for my KB two tone.

Posts: 93 | Location: Gulf Coast, FL | Registered: September 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indreams84:

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought two tone nickels prior to 1994-1995 did not have nickel controls, just the slide? I know this is true for my KB two tone.

That I don’t know. I suppose it’s possible the controls were done later. The guy I got it from was not the original owner.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
...just to add that I had a 1987 P226 that was SIG blue and bought new by me...

...upon delivery and after calling SIGArms then in Herndon, VA I was told all nickel SIGs were EN'd by Klein in Erie, PA...that is where I sent mine as I never carried it for duty as SIG Blue...

Bill

This is an interesting fact that likely explains why you don't see very many factory Ni SIGs between 1987 and 1990. I know I've never seen a confirmed factory Ni P228 from 1988 or 1989. Up until 1987, factory Ni SIGs were plated in W. Germany. The latest Ni SIG plated in W. Germany that I've seen and owned was the Tysons Corner P226 from 1987. After 1987, SIG DE stopped plating their SIGs there, and all subsequent Ni SIGs were plated by Klein in Erie. I can only guess that from 1987 to 1989, you don't see many factory Ni SIGs because, after 1987, SIG USA were in the process of finding a plating company that do quality work, and they finally went with Klein. 1990 is when the first Klein Ni P228 reared its head. 1991 is the most prolific year for all the Klein plated SIGs, from my observations.

I have yet to see a factory Ni SIG plated by Klein between 1987 and 1989. If anyone have one, would love to see it.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does the box have "NICKEL" stamped on the original label?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No links to active gunbroker listings, please

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 5 | Registered: December 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, and American Beauty. 1999

That's the film I couldn't think of.

Ironic that this thread popped up. The wife watches a Netflix series called "YOU." One of the characters in the final episode of Season 2 had a nickel 226. Of course I had to point it out to her since I own one.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post