SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RE: Sig P220
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RE: Sig P220 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all, as much as I like Sig , I just can't shoot the P220 (.45) well. It's the way the pistol sits in my hand. The recoil/bore axis causes more more Zelenograd flip.

I actually shoot a Glock 30 pretty well. Does anyone lose here have the same issue?
Thanks for your time
Frank

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankinCA:
Hi all, as much as I like Sig , I just can't shoot the P220 (.45) well. It's the way the pistol sits in my hand. The recoil/bore axis causes more more muzzle flip.

I actually shoot a Glock 30 pretty well. Does anyone lose here have the same issue?
Thanks for your time
Frank

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
While I am a huge fan of the P-220 platform, It is not the right platform for everyone.

Nothing wrong with the G-30.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what a Zelenograd flip is, but I couldn't shoot the 220 cause of the way it recoiled. Had several, sold 'em all. Lucked into a Glock 21 which was good, then fired a 30 on a rental range and walked out with a new one. 2 inches at 15 yards out of the box. Midway had a nice DeSantis thumb break on sale, too.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Zelenograd was a mis type (I Pad) thanks guys

posted Hide Post
I feel better. Been thumbing thru the z's in Big Red for 20 minutes.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with a 45ACP Browning BDA in 1978. Picked up another SIG P220 back in 2003 (?) and put the slim grips on it. For me it is very accurate and controllable.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankinCA:
Hi all, as much as I like Sig , I just can't shoot the P220 (.45) well. It's the way the pistol sits in my hand. The recoil/bore axis causes more more Zelenograd flip.

Does anyone lose here have the same issue?
Frank

Frank,

There's many variations of the P220 and calibers. Which one was the recoil problematic with?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I love the way P220s fit, run, shoot, etc. If the P320 hadn't caught my eye, I'd probably have a P220 by now.

Not every gun is for every individual. I've never been able to shoot my G22 for beans, but I can rock my G34 pretty capably. I tried a S&W M&P 9 several years ago. Loved everything about it, except I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. One day at the range this guy was having trouble with is little 357 Mag pocket revolver. My best friend, best shot I ever knew, tried it. Same thing. Seemed to confirm it was the gun. I picked it up and shot it like gangbusters. That same best friend's first center-fire auto-loader was a Beretta 92F. Wouldn't hit for him worth a damn. Sent it back to Beretta. They said it was fine. He switched to Sig and problem solved.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot my P220 very well. It's one of my more accurate pistols.

I shoot it accurately and fairly quickly. To me the SIG P220 fits perfectly in my hand.

That said, no pistol no matter how great it is will fit everyone. That's why there are so many other great pistols. So everyone can have their Excalibur!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old bar/dot sighted P220 that has seen lots of rounds down the tube.
Still shoots like new. I have several 1911s and the 220 is the equal of any of them.
And I agree that some guns just work well and others not quite so much. Go with what works best for you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a JF and. KC p220 along with a whole stable of other 45acp pistols. They are as accurate and comfortable to shoot as my Ed Browns.Funny thing though, I recently purchased a P320c 45acp.... not as accurate, not as fun to shoot as the P220s.
Yea, it's all very personal.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dakar, standard P220, .45

For some reason, the way the gun sits in my hand/grip angle. I had an older P220, non rail. I shot it , but never as well as my P239 or P225.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

posted Hide Post
My 1995 2 tone german is still my favorite SIG. Fits my hand perfectly with the original grips and I shoot it well. Not so much with the newer railed P220s. When unable to carry it I grab an older P239 9mm DAK.

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I must know - what word did spell check mistake for Zelenograd?

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Heretic! You are sooooo out of the band.

Seriously, I feel the same way. The 226 fits my hand better.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
My P220 is consistently one of my best shooters. Something about the weight. My P226 is probably most comfortable for me but it is 9mm.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post