SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How can two almost identical guns feel so drastically different. HK P30/VP9
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can two almost identical guns feel so drastically different. HK P30/VP9 Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I own a p30l. Finally got to shoot a VP yesterday and hated it. Partially the fact it was a vp40, but it just felt off. The trigger felt really weird - and caught a few times, like it snagged on a safety feature. And it didnt handle the 40 round as well as some other 40s ive shot. I cant agree more. Very different guns. Maybe a vp9 would have been more to my liking, but there were things other than caliber that put me off to bothering to try

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
I don't know where HK cut quality on the VP. The barrel, slide and polymer and sights are all made of the same materials. I've seen similar complaints about the P30sk vs the P30.

Now if you want to talk VP/P series vs USP. Yeah there is a difference in bombproof vs bulletproof.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Didn't like the recoil impulse and for some reason, it didn't feel like an HK.

I love the ergos of the PSA black friday VP9 I have, but dislike the recoil impulse as well. I find it a little harsh, and not as smooth as my G19 or sigs. You are the only other person I've seen that has said the same thing.

There is quite a bit of "trigger finger bite" as well, meaning that no matter what grip panels I use, and no matter how I hold it, my trigger finger always ends up dragging along the bottom of the trigger guard.

At $450.00, the price was right at the time on this, and Im trying to get it to work for me but Im probably going to sell trade/it.

Posts: 149 | Registered: July 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I didn't find the recoil impulse harsh at all. I just sort of felt the slide as it went through its travel and it was a bit of a strange impulse to me. Not harsh at all just odd feeling to me.

Again not a problem with the gun just one of the things that I personally didn't like. I was worried the P30 would be similar in this regard but it is not at all.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a VP9 twice before I settled on a SIG P320 as my first striker-fired pistol. For me, the deal breaker with the VP9 was the number that the trough in the bottom of the trigger guard did on my finger.

But I too disliked the recoil impulse. The pistol seemed to me to torque a bit with the muzzle rise. I also disliked the fact that the magazine capacity was two rounds short of what it should have been for the size of the gun.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now if you want to talk VP/P series vs USP. Yeah there is a difference in bombproof vs bulletproof.

Can't say much about the VP9 since I've only held one briefly, but the USP series make any other polymer or aluminum guns I've handled feel delicate in comparison. They are solid, tank like pistols. My P30L does feel like a well made firearm, but my USP 9 and 40 are on another level. USP 45 is even burlier.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I like my VP9 just fine....

It's the only polymer striker fired pistol I have.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe why someone will take to a particular pistol has more to do with the size of their hands than just about anything else.

As near as I can tell, I have perfectly "average" sized hands. On any double stack DA/SAs the grip feels too big, and the first shot trigger is too far away to be anywhere near a proper trigger/finger alignment for me. Obviously, those with larger hands would have a totally different experience.

Short triggers offered by Sig make a big difference and just aren't for those with "small" hands. Installing those mitigates most of the issues for me, but double stack pistols are just wide, and unless you have the changeable grip panels, which the older pistols don't have, there isn't much you can do about it, unless an after market company has some really thin grips you can put on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: darr3239,

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Every time I've thought of going polymer I thought of HK. And every time I picked up a P2000 or P30LS, two guns I've enjoyed, I put them back down thanks to the triggers.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post