SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I'm Bored With the Gun Industry
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Bored With the Gun Industry Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You can only be bored if you're doing boring things with probably boring guns. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
You can only be bored if you're doing boring things with probably boring guns. Wink

Hardly Smile
25+ years or shooting everything you've ever heard of, and probably a few things you haven't. I've competed in IPSC, IDPA, trap, skeet, sporting clays, target rifle, target .22, and even fired a cannon once or twice. I have frame stripped, serviced, and reassembled almost every gun I own and I can build one hell of a 1911. Believe me when I say it's not for a lack of experience or engagement.

The points expressed here are exactly why I'm bored. Shooting gets repetitive very quickly. The leading edge of any field is what keeps me interested. Due to chasing after silly law enforcement contracts, doing low risk projects like the Glock knock-off of the month, or just a general lack of creativity, the leading edge of handguns has not moved at all in at least a decade. Optics are starting to get better but still aren't perfected the way they are with rifles.

It can be better Smile

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Take a 10 year break from firearms, then resume, and perhaps things will have changed to your liking.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Take a 10 year break from firearms, then resume, and perhaps things will have changed to your liking.

This is what I did exactly. I was very active in shooting and collecting and just quit cold turkey. Took up photography, aviation, and a few other small interests and enjoyed those for a while. Now, photography and the other little stuff is set aside and I'm back to firearms and have stayed the course with aviation.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
The points expressed here are exactly why I'm bored. Shooting gets repetitive very quickly.

Sounds like you need to find a new hobby. When you bored with it, come back to shooting.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Hardly Smile
25+ years or shooting everything you've ever heard of, and probably a few things you haven't. I've competed in IPSC, IDPA, trap, skeet, sporting clays, target rifle, target .22, and even fired a cannon once or twice. I have frame stripped, serviced, and reassembled almost every gun I own and I can build one hell of a 1911. Believe me when I say it's not for a lack of experience or engagement.

The points expressed here are exactly why I'm bored. Shooting gets repetitive very quickly. The leading edge of any field is what keeps me interested. Due to chasing after silly law enforcement contracts, doing low risk projects like the Glock knock-off of the month, or just a general lack of creativity, the leading edge of handguns has not moved at all in at least a decade. Optics are starting to get better but still aren't perfected the way they are with rifles.

It can be better Smile

Unless you are expecting phasers, plasma rifles in the 40 watt range, or Ridley from Aliens 3 to pop up, then yeah, you can say that not much has happened in the last 10 years. Have their been wild, radical changes in the market? Nope, no plasma rifles yet, just what you see, buddy. But, there has been some changes in the market and we've learned a lot. And I mean learned a lot, more than introducing the latest Glock knock off in FDE. The latest evolution of the Glock is exciting, if true. The latest evolution of the M&P is pretty awesome. You can get a 1911 in any price range from $250-$????????. AR's haven't evolved much in that time, but some of the support technology has.

The SHOT Show has stagnated a bit. I'll give you that. It is the show of the 100 year old pistol, and 50 year old rifle. And it is a direct reflection of the market and promoters. I think that we live in pretty exciting times in the gun world. Never before have we lived to where we had more choices than a revolver, a Smith and Wesson 39, a BHP, or 1911.

Maybe we've just grown used to it, and are expecting it to do what it has done in the last 30 years again?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
The points expressed here are exactly why I'm bored. Shooting gets repetitive very quickly.

Sounds like you need to find a new hobby. When you bored with it, come back to shooting.

I have plenty of hobbies. Shooting is one of them. But it's also the slowest moving, least innovative, and least focused on making the experience better, easier, etc. When I go cycling, I have dozens of options of different routes, bikes, group rides, solo rides, mountain trails, etc. Every experience can be memorable and different and the industry is set up to support this. I can research trails online, load then to my cycling computer or phone, and enjoy a new experience.

Same with photography -- you can photograph anything and the industry encourages it. The equipment is getting easier to use, the results from a $500 camera today rival a $5000 camera 15 years ago. The industry keeps you engaged with different lenses, filters, software, and a community that works to improve the status quo. Today's results are unbelievable -- even with smartphone cameras.

Modern power tools are fantastic. I do a lot of home remodeling and when I pick up a modern Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, etc. tool, it's fantastic to use. The controls are intuitive, the balance is perfect, and I can get professional results with ease. You can gripe about quality and plastic parts, but there is no doubt about the user experience. I look like I know what I'm doing -- and that says a lot about the equipment and support.

For shooting, most of the time I'm in a dimly lit bunker operating a design that is at least as old as I am, making holes in a paper target. The benefit is he target can flip 90 degrees at random. With an hour drive or so, I can exchange this for a dusty environment shooting at a static, non-flipping target set against a berm, shot from underneath a steel roof. Rinse. Repeat. Yawn.

Is this as good as it gets? I hope not.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I would love to have a pistol that fires bullets that turn corners. You know, like micro guided missiles. Cool

A TOW Pistol. maybe a little difficult to CCW. Wink

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:
I would love to have a pistol that fires bullets that turn corners. You know, like micro guided missiles. Cool

TOW? Please. We're in the wireless age. It better have Bluetooth Big Grin

Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
You folks haven't been paying attention!
Here is an offering from Arsenal. It is the Arsenal AF2011-A1 Double Barrel .45ACP.
It offers challenges of accuracy at 25 feet. (Can't hit the broad side of a barn......literally!)
It's only for those with a very good two-hand grip technique.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For shooting, most of the time I'm in a dimly lit bunker operating a design that is at least as old as I am, making holes in a paper target. The benefit is he target can flip 90 degrees at random. With an hour drive or so, I can exchange this for a dusty environment shooting at a static, non-flipping target set against a berm, shot from underneath a steel roof. Rinse. Repeat. Yawn.

A new gun or new gun design, no matter how snazzy or functional, won't change your situation for more than a few shooting sessions. You're not bored with the gun industry -- you're bored with the how, where, and why you shoot.

Your thread should be revised to something like "I'm bored with my shooting experience"

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A new gun or new gun design, no matter how snazzy or functional, won't change your situation for more than a few shooting sessions. You're not bored with the gun industry -- you're bored with the how, where, and why you shoot.

Your thread should be revised to something like "I'm bored with my shooting experience"

Again, get the Arsenal double barrel pistol and it will damn sure change your shooting experience. It is challenging to shoot this mule kicking, 4 1/2 pound, lead spraying, ear splitting, monstrosity. And it is a challenge to afford one.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure of your logistics, but one thing I found that did wake up my interest was shooting steel with a friend. Besides the camaraderie and friendly competition, the instant feedback of ringing steel was fantastic. I, like you, lost my interest in remote control paper drilling long ago. However, when on a range with multiple steel targets, one is now running against oneself with the clock and the sound of a 'Ping!' as the sole, final Judge. It also served to sharpen my skills at quick front site acquisition, target identification and trigger control. You've probably already tried it, but if not, give it a shot (pardon the rotten pun), it was a hoot for me.

Oh, to make it even more fun? Don't use a modern plastic, gee-whiz tacticool hoser. Try it with a revolver or an older pistol, something definitely not practical as defined and approved of by today's firearms 'experts' (meaning by Facebook and YouTube commentators). It's surprising just how effective something 30+ years old can be without a Kryptek camo job or Larry Vickers signature on it.....

Posts: 798 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
quote:

Not sure of your logistics, but one thing I found that did wake up my interest was shooting steel with a friend. Besides the camaraderie and friendly competition, the instant feedback of ringing steel was fantastic. I, like you, lost my interest in remote control paper drilling long ago. However, when on a range with multiple steel targets, one is now running against oneself with the clock and the sound of a 'Ping!' as the sole, final Judge. It also served to sharpen my skills at quick front site acquisition, target identification and trigger control. You've probably already tried it, but if not, give it a shot (pardon the rotten pun), it was a hoot for me.

Oh, to make it even more fun? Don't use a modern plastic, gee-whiz tacticool hoser. Try it with a revolver or an older pistol, something definitely not practical as defined and approved of by today's firearms 'experts' (meaning by Facebook and YouTube commentators). It's surprising just how effective something 30+ years old can be without a Kryptek camo job or Larry Vickers signature on it.....

Texas vs DC area. There isn't a range that lets me shoot steel within at least 2 hours. How do I know this? I've been to every range within a 2 hour drive. : )

And my range toy is a 50 year old Colt Trooper in an equally old holster. With you on the vintage aspect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: caneau,

Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
This may be a sort of "off the wall" suggestion, but if you are bored punching holes in paper, maybe you need a change in the type of shooting you do. Shooting at moving targets is a revelation. Try trap, sporting clays or skeet. It is challenging and somewhat satisfying to watch the clay birds explode. I was a hard core pistol shooter (and competitor) before I discovered the clay games. While I still enjoy going to the pistol range, I now shoot trap three days a week, plus toss in the occasion rounds of sporting clays. Now when I do go back to the pistol range, is seems I have more fun there as well.

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
quote:
quote:

Again, get the Arsenal double barrel pistol and it will damn sure change your shooting experience. It is challenging to shoot this mule kicking, 4 1/2 pound, lead spraying, ear splitting, monstrosity. And it is a challenge to afford one.

The AF2011 is loads of fun. A nice 50AE Desert Eagle is too, plus they are easily customized to the way you would want them (the gold-pimp-chrome-tiger-bottom rail crap is a no for me).

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:

TOW? Please. We're in the wireless age. It better have Bluetooth Big Grin

Showing my age I guess.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tartan427:
This may be a sort of "off the wall" suggestion, but if you are bored punching holes in paper, maybe you need a change in the type of shooting you do. Shooting at moving targets is a revelation. Try trap, sporting clays or skeet. It is challenging and somewhat satisfying to watch the clay birds explode. I was a hard core pistol shooter (and competitor) before I discovered the clay games. While I still enjoy going to the pistol range, I now shoot trap three days a week, plus toss in the occasion rounds of sporting clays. Now when I do go back to the pistol range, is seems I have more fun there as well.

Did it all through college. Sporting clays is fun. Trap and skeet take the repetitiveness to new levels. To get respectfully good, the routine is mind boggling. It makes baseball pitchers look sane and agnostic. I knew one shooter who has to have a lit cigarette in his left hand in order to be accurate at trap.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
How often does radical change take place quickly? How long did it take for the Glock to gain widespread acceptance? The 1911? The AR?

Food for thought. We never know what might be around the corner.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
......It's only for those with a very good two-hand grip technique......

Are you sure you didn't mean three-hand grip technique? Smile

I guess the design challenge was to create a single barrel .90 caliber or a double barrel .45 caliber. Must be fun to carry IWB.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post