SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 938 in .22 vs. Beretta 71
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 938 in .22 vs. Beretta 71 Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a good SMALL .22 suppressor host. Recently bought a pre-68 Beretta 71. Cool gun. Considering sending it off to have barrel threaded. The Sig 938 in .22 looks good too. Will need to buy aftermarket threaded barrel. Anyone have thoughts on which is the better small gun suppressor host? Beretta is great but has not been made in many years- thus,parts availability problems.

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I went with a Beretta 87 and a S&W M&P-22C for my primary hosts.

Beretta is sexy as hell and a great little pistol but the M&P-22C is nice in it's own right - I have a Viridian C5L Green laser I had laying around on mine, fun little pistol.

I may try the Ruger LCP 22LR with my HTA B22 small suppressor for a 'tiny' 22LR / can combo.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My choice from experience, Beretta 71 (Jaguar)
I've owned a few and they would feed on anything in .22lr.

Of course, YMMV.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Someone on here has a reverse threaded 22lr PPK.
Drool worthy, but probably $$$

My only 22lr pistol is a tip-barrel, not sure how that would work with a can.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have a 70s on .22 that I use almost exclusively as a suppressor host. It’s been fantastic. Highly recommend it.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the Sig, but have a Beretta 71 with a second waiting for me at the gunshop.

Use it mostly with a can. Perfect and cheap little gun.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took the Beretta 71 to the range yesterday. I really like this gun. Too bad they haven’t been made in over 30 years. Anyone have experience with the Sig 938 in .22? I have the 938 in 9mm and like it. But question whether the 938 in .22 is as reliable as the Beretta. Only downsides to the Beretta are the tiny sights and the fact that parts will be hard to get.

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parts won’t be an issue with the Beretta 71. The issue is magazines. Real Beretta mags for the 71 are hard to find, and expensive. Some substitute some kind of Bersa mag.
My 71 has the 6” long barrel. Accurate, and burns more powder shooting Stingers and Velocitors. I’d like to find the short barrel, but they are pricey. I shot a few Aguila “sniper subsonic”, SSS rounds, and it seemed to shoot them well.
There are still threaded barrel imports around, the ones with the fake suppressor. Last time I looked, Alan’s Armory had some with the fake suppressor already removed. Probably. Cheaper than buying a threaded barrel.
Then, you have the threaded barrel, another magazine, and a parts gun in the unlikely event you ever need a part.

If you've never had a free lunch, you are'nt trying hard enough

Posts: 213 | Location: The North Coast of America, Southern Coast of Lake Erie | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a surplus 71 as a host and a long barrel one to shoot otherwise.

If I were buying just for a host, I'd buy the M9-22 or 92FS-22 versions with threaded barrels. 15rd mags and flawless in operation. Of course if you want a smaller framed gun, the 92 isn't it.

Beretta showed two 21a Bobcat models with threaded barrels at SHOT. I have some already threaded and they're fun to shoot but REALLY small and only 7rds.

If you're looking for an older, inexpensive 22 host with readily available mags, might I suggest the S&W 422 or 622 in 4" guise? A $30 adapter from EWK and it's great as a host and uses Model 41 mags which are ubiquitous. Further, since it's an underbarrel design....you still have usable sights.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amd6547:
Parts won’t be an issue with the Beretta 71. The issue is magazines. Real Beretta mags for the 71 are hard to find, and expensive. Some substitute some kind of Bersa mag.
My 71 has the 6” long barrel. Accurate, and burns more powder shooting Stingers and Velocitors. I’d like to find the short barrel, but they are pricey. I shot a few Aguila “sniper subsonic”, SSS rounds, and it seemed to shoot them well.
There are still threaded barrel imports around, the ones with the fake suppressor. Last time I looked, Alan’s Armory had some with the fake suppressor already removed. Probably. Cheaper than buying a threaded barrel.
Then, you have the threaded barrel, another magazine, and a parts gun in the unlikely event you ever need a part.

Actually I am having a parts availability issue with my jaguar and if someone can point me inthe right direction I would appreciate it very much.
Mine is the early version where the cross pin through the trigger ends in a very short fine threaded area which screws into the slide stop.
The screw is stripped and I see there have been several subsequent versions of this cross pin.
Does anyone have a source for the early threaded pin?
As an alternative will the later versions fit the older gun?

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Parts won’t be an issue with the Beretta 71. The issue is magazines. Real Beretta mags for the 71 are hard to find, and expensive. Some substitute some kind of Bersa mag..

I believe there were two USA marketers of the Beretta model 70 series: Garcia and Berden. The few that I owned were Berden, NY. The magazines were not interchangeable, I was told by a gunsmith.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Parts won’t be an issue with the Beretta 71. The issue is magazines. Real Beretta mags for the 71 are hard to find, and expensive. Some substitute some kind of Bersa mag..

I believe there were two USA marketers of the Beretta model 70 series: Garcia and Berden. The few that I owned were Berden, NY. The magazines were not interchangeable, I was told by a gunsmith.

That's true for Mod. 70 in .380 but not the Mod. 70S, 71, etc in 22LR. 22LR mags are interchangeable and believe only Berben imported them.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post