SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which discontinued Sig to buy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which discontinued Sig to buy? Login/Join 
posted
220 compact or 239? Which would you buy? Purely a range toy. I don't carry or have any intention to start. No, both is not an option right now.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
220 compact or 239? Which would you buy? Purely a range toy. I don't carry or have any intention to start. No, both is not an option right now.

P239.
You don't carry at all?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Compact P220 and find it to be a great pistol and very accurate. I do carry it concealed with no problem. Being a retired LEO I feel much more comfortable carry a P220 than a sub-compact pistol, especially one I can shoot very accurately.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
P239 with Hogue rubber wrap-around grip.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Rather have a P245 than a P220 Compact. Never liked the P239. So for me...neither.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Given the two you have stated: P239 (in 357Sig)

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
If it’s “purely a range toy”, what’s limiting you to those two pistols? They’re available to you at a good price?

The P229 Carry is a somewhat similar discontinued SIG that I think is pretty neat. Its slide runs in locking insert groves, like the P224.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Range toy? P220 Sport Stock or P226 same. Unless there's a reason to limit yourself to only those 2 choices as pipe smoker notes.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the P239 because it fits my hand better.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently carry a 239 DAK in 40 as a retirement carry gun. I have carried both the 220 compact and 245 in the past. I would tend to go with a larger firearm if it was going to be a range gun.

I would think that the 220 compact would have more parts available for it in the future if that is a consideration.

Posts: 371 | Location: The once great state of California | Registered: November 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
P239 with Hogue rubber wrap-around grip.

yeah!!! Me too. The P245 and P220C have a punch that the P239 doesn't have. So, if it is a range toy, you don't want to tire your hand.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the P 220 compact sas and love it, easy to shoot.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own P239’s in .357 Sig and .40 S&W, both purchased used. No complaints with either of them. You might also consider the P250 and SP2022 models.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ agreed in 40. Mostly due to availability and price but it will cost more than before it was discontinued (mags, 357 barrel, and 9mm barrel).

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Of the two, I'd be inclined toward the P239.

But if it must be a discontinued SIG for range use only, something like the P210 Legend might be be worthy of consideration......ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Rather have a P245 than a P220 Compact.

Why? They cast the same shadow, take the same magazines. While they are not the same internally you literally can't tell the difference shooting them.

Unless there is something I'm missing, I think the P220 Compact is probably more practical than a P245.

Side note... I have a P245, a P220 Carry and a couple full sized P220s. Before I got my P220 Carry SAO I wished I had a P220 Compact rather than my P245 so I could put the short slide on a full sized frame.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I don't carry my 239 even though I bought it with the intention of doing so. It was too heavy for me to carry and I like some smaller options better. That being said, I shoot it like a laser. It's one of my favorite to shoot, so that's my vote.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are just the two I found recently that interest me, no other special reasons. Soggy, my preference for the look of the railed dust cover is the only reason for 220 over 245. 12131, no I don't carry at all. I rarely go anywhere but work and possession of a firearm on company property is a fireable offense. Even if it is locked in my vehicle, as we are subject to search while on the facility. I have to settle for a decent folding blade and a 4 cell mag-lite.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
P220 compact. It’s gonna have more parts availability long term and ITS A P220!!!

I really like the P239 especially in .40 but the P220 is just legendary and the compact is still awesome. Besides for range use big ole .45 ACP is just soooo satisfying. I was running my P2000 in .40 and my HK45c Friday. Those big ole’ .45 holes just tear the hell out of the center of a target.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post