SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bittersweet day, EDC replaced
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bittersweet day, EDC replaced Login/Join 
posted
So my first pistol, a '94 P229 in .40, has been my EDC for...well, forever. I also used it in 3-gun.

But with 3-gun, I found myself at a disadvantage having 12 round capacity. So I started a hunt for a replacement. I got an SP2022 in 9mm and it worked great. But I still felt it took me that extra split second to get a clean first shot, so I started trying strikers.

The VP9 was the first experiment when it came out. I shoot it great slow fire, but it tracks up and right for me during rapid fire. Then I tried the PPQ. Awesome trigger, maybe a touch too light. I didn't like the factory sights and replaced with Mepros. Changed the POI high. And I feel the gap is pretty wide (or the front post is narrow) so I don't group real tight with it.

Next was the P320 (Carry). Don't love the grips (Talons helped), but I shoot the thing lights out. But during slow fire, I got several instances of dead trigger relating to the double click design. Two trips to SIG and they said they could replicate, but it was a function of the design and required extreme manipulation (?) to happen. Got it back the second time just as the drop issue came to light. I was really pleased the upgrade ended up redesigning the sear reset. Sent it in and got it back within a week. Amazing turn around.

Finally got to shoot it since the upgrade and I still perform great with it. I track a little down during rapid fire (so much for bore axis!) but not severely. I ran the usual FMJ and some HST and GDs and was one ragged hole at 10 yards with all of it.

The P320 Carry is roughly a quarter of a second faster on the first shot, only just a touch taller than the P229, is noticeably lighter and gives me 15 more rounds than the P229 with a full carry loadout (loaded and chambered, with 2 spare mags). I love the .40, but can't argue with the extra capacity. So the P320 has now earned EDC status. My buddy had an extra TLR-3 he gave me. The P229 doesn't have a rail, so I put the light on the SP2022 and it's now serving nightstand safe duty. That leaves my poor P229 unloaded in the main safe for the first time ever.

Sad to set it aside, but happy to have found such a great pistol that can replace it. Now I just gotta get that well-worn look on the P320 that my P229 has!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I feel you... my EDC was my 229/.40 for 13+ years, until I bought my M11-A1 a couple years ago, and that became my EDC. I shoot the 229 just as well as the M11, but the slight increase in capacity is somewhat reassuring. 37 (.40) vs. 46 (9mm) rounds total for gun + 2 mags.

Happy New Year!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was a 229R in 9mm. I hit the same capacity issue and went striker fired.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post