SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just bought an M&P Shield and ordered the Apex trigger and action enhancement kit. Added Q: What sight pusher?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just bought an M&P Shield and ordered the Apex trigger and action enhancement kit. Added Q: What sight pusher? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
In San Diego, it's still possible to get a CCW, although they're backed up 9 months. Needing a small carry gun, I tried a friend's Shield (1.0 version) 9 mm. I like the feel of it, recoil was not bad; but it had two issues:
1. Trigger feels terrible
2. Couldn't see the front fiberoptic sight.

So I called Apex Tactical and talked to old instructor/shooting buddy Scott Folk--y'all remember Flork, right?--and talked to him a bit about their trigger replacement and action enhancement kit. I had already read a number of online reviews, and it sounds like just the ticket. Unfortunately the Shield M2.0 with its better trigger is not on the CA roster, but I'm sure the Apex trigger will be fine.
Only problem is, it will get here before my 10 day waiting period is up.

Any thoughts on the Shield as a carry gun, and in particular what (if anything) you would do about the sights?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I personally carry a Kahr CW9, but I've shot several Shields belonging to clients and have sent several of them to Apex also.

My training partner carries one and I've had some trigger time on it. It shoots very well and carries even better. We've both shot it in IDPA competition also.The only common objection is the Magazine Safety

I highly recommend a sight set from Dawson Precision with the fiber optic front sight and the blacked out rear https://dawsonprecision.com/da...r-fiber-optic-front/

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I put the Apex package in my Shield and it's a big improvement .

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I carried a Shield 9 as my off duty ccw for years. I bought one of the first ones as soon as S&W released them. I still think they are a great gun. They carry small, but shoot like a larger gun. I usually carried mine with the 8 round magazine in it, as it fit my hand better, and still carried really well IWB. If I needed it to be smaller, it was easy to swap in a 7 round mag.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
It's an easy installation, Dr. T.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've carried a 1.0 (9mm) for several years and it's been flawless.
I put a high contrast front night sight on (Ameriglo Proglo)and cleaned up the contact parts in the trigger and it's good enough for me. I recently bought a Magguts +2 kit for my 8 round magazine and now have 10+1.
This gun happens to fit my hand perfectly with a Hogue grip sleeve and seems to be very accurate.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have one. It is mind of a backup carry gun.
Pretty hard to beat for the price.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25405 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I don't think you will be at all disappointed in the Shield as a carry gun. I have APEX on all three of my M&P's. You will definitely appreciate that trigger regardless of the PKG you chose. As for sights...highly subjective!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been carrying a Shield 9 since 2013. No complaints at all.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sold my Shield 1.0. It was a good gun but I liked the G43 and 365 better so it was redundant. My trigger was good enough but I put Apex triggers in both of my MP9 1.0’s. Apex stuff is outstanding. Pick your sight of choice. I like Trijicon HD’s. I have recently become a big fan of Truglo TFX Pro’s. Enjoy, I think you made a good choice.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Isn't it amazing what Apex has become, compared with Randy and his one-man show in 2007-08? I first met Randy through Bruce Gray, who showed me Randy's action work on the S&W V-comp. I ended up having him do a 627 PC, and a 520N for my wife. Reliable 5 lb. trigger pull in a DA revolver. Sweet! Randy taught my son John and me competitive revolver shooting; he even taught SF folks tactical shotgunning. What fun!

Then Scott Folk joined Randy, taking his manufacturing expertise, and now they are in a 50,000 square foot facility in Peoria, AZ, with 46 employees (and still hiring).
Apex is now nationally known and has a stellar reputation. Couldn't happen to two nicer guys.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you would like an extra mag for your Shield doc, send me your shipping address and I will get it to you.

Enjoy your new gun. Pete

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
E-mail incoming Pete, well two actually.
Very generous of you!
Stan

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just ordered the (expensive!) Truglo TFX Pro sights.
What sight pusher should I have?

posted Hide Post
This one’s easy. MGW Sight Pro. Buy once, install all your sights and your friends sights from now on. No muss no fuss.

The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Here is another option for a sight pusher. Maybe a little more budget friendly.

https://www.sportsmansguide.co...usher-tool?a=2221635

I’ve had good luck using this tool for Glock sights for several years now. I can’t speak specifically to how well it would work for M&P / Shield sights.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't just push those sights on the shield. Wait until you have your pistol and kit, and follow the instructions.

Its a simple installation, though you do have choices with the springs, for weight. Don't go too light.

I have a shield, not a big fan. I have two, actually. One has a split frame, which SW& refused to warranty, though they were kind enough to offer to sell me one at greater than retail as a "warranty replacement."

That one had a box of ammunition through it, all factory. S&W claimed they couldn't determine why it failed, but that their policy when unable to determine, was to blame it on ammunition and deny the warranty. And so they did.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't just push those sights on the shield. Wait until you have your pistol and kit, and follow the instructions.

That's the plan, as I have to remove the rear sight to install the Apex kit. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about S&W's CS, but it looks like I'll be voiding the warranty by installing the Apex kit.

posted Hide Post
Just save the parts. If you ever need warranty work, put them back in.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Got it, Pete! Thanks!