SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do we need to start buying 10 round mags?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do we need to start buying 10 round mags? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reminding me - I could use a few more flush-fitting mags for the 227.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering the most liberal appellate circuit - the 9th - set aside California's 10 round limit, I think that ship has sailed. All we need is another appellate district to uphold a magazine limit and then SCOTUS can rule to resolve the conflict. The principle issue is that standard capacity magazines are in "common use" already. It is hard to counter the argument that the best choice of a handgun for self defense is the same handgun, magazines, and ammo issued to police officers, or probably more accurately, plainclothes officers. Also the best choice of a rifle is the one issued to police/military. Rifles with 30 round capacity are common use and standard. 100 round drum mags are not common use though.

I think Biden will try to executive order import bans or high tariffs on foreign made "non-sporting weapons of war" - especially large format handguns that are otherwise SBR's without stocks.

This is an "easy win" that they can play up in the media by saying they got "AK's and other weapons of war off the streets" - just like in '89 - but will actually accomplish nothing. Domestic manufacturers will not be affected.

The fact that this has never been challenged in court wrt to the GCA 1968 requirement of "sporting" use is incomprehensible. The most popular shooing sports right now are action shooting: IDPA, USPSA, Three Gun, etc. So every semi-auto suitable for these sports is "sporting". A full capacity Benelli M4 is more competitive than a crippled capacity one. The old definition of sporting being hunting and skeet/trap is antiquated. And the only things that makes various firearms "non-sporting" are state laws limiting caliber or capacity for hunting.

I think the lack of challenges has been due to the fact that the import ban favors domestic manufacturers. Years ago AK's were cheap and AR's were not. Due to the import bans, and domestic competition, AR's are cheap now, and AK's are expensive. And many foreign companies set up shop in the US anyway, to avoid European restrictions.

Also expect pistol braces to be challenged. This along with limiting large format pistols is stuff BATF is already itching to do.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta disagree with J. Jones on this one. I work in a 10rd limit state and many LE take it seriously, (ten year felony for possession of a high capacity magazine). Recently, I have seen two different people charged that were only coming over the state line and not doing anything wrong (one ran out of gas). Also, many LE are not "gun" people. I know one high ranking LE that doesn't believe anyone should be able to own more than one firearm and a detective that doesn't believe anyone should be able to own an "AW", both are veterans.

DPR

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
Gotta disagree with J. Jones on this one. I work in a 10rd limit state and many LE take it seriously, (ten year felony for possession of a high capacity magazine). Recently, I have seen two different people charged that were only coming over the state line and not doing anything wrong (one ran out of gas). Also, many LE are not "gun" people. I have someone in command staff that doesn't believe anyone should be able to own more than one firearm and a detective that doesn't believe anyone should be able to own an "AW". Believe it or not, both are veterans.

How, exactly, was it discovered these individuals had over capacity mags?