SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Apparently the Gen 5 G17/19 are available for preorder.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently the Gen 5 G17/19 are available for preorder. Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Do you think traditional rifling is cheaper to manufacture? Is there an upside to traditional rifling, or is to be able to fire lead projectiles without a leading/kaboom?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
^^^^
Wireless reloading

Nonsense. That's for the Gen6 guns and beyond when they finally get the brainwave activators dialed in right. GPS targeting is for the Gen5. Keep it straight, else you'll be accused of spreading fake news.

Hopefully you don't have to "think FIRE in German". Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Standard land and groove rifling = lower velocities

Way to go, Glock

We'll dub Gaston as The Man Who Can't Leave Shit Alone

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Changed the recoil spring assembly again? Sigh. I'm just gonna stick with my gen 4's. I went from the 3 to the 4 because I loved the new mag release. This just seems like an unneeded new gen.

Simply offer the exiting 4 without finger grooves and ambi slide release as options if you wanted to and be done with it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
IIRC the new barrel was a customer requirement but I forget exactly why.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I don't like the front magwell cutout on the 19. It bugged me on my Gen 2 even with small hands.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I "read on the internet" that the traditional rifling was at the request of the LE agencies to make ballistic matching easier.

It looks interesting but I am very satisfied with my Gen 4. I like the finger grooves (matter of fact I sold my gen 2 because it didn't have any).

That said I might try one in G19 flavor, provided they fixed the whole slide coming off the frame issue the other M models had Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I read that the trigger is somewhat improved to compete with the other new striker guns.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Curious to see how the lack of finger grooves and extended baseplate work on the 19. I wouldn't mind a smudge more actual frontstrap length. Not an issue on the 17. As a matter of fact, I don't mind the finger grooves on the 17. Unlike the 19, my fingers actually fit in the grooves. I don't have large hand either.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
We are set to take delivery of Gen5 guns in October at work. I have not handled one, but one of my guys went to a Glock advanced armorers class and got to play with one on the break.

The long winded answer was this. When the FBI set out to get a new duty pistol, switching from .40 to 9mm, they worked with ammunition manufacturers to get the ammo they wanted, with the performance they wanted, first thing. They then went to the gun companies with the specs of what they wanted around this round.

Glock in turn built the 17M around these specifications. The change in the barrel in lock up and rifling was to make the gun from a 3 inch group at 25 yards gun, to a 3 inch group at 50 yards gun. The different recoil spring is designed again to maximize the use of the heavier rounds for the FBI.

Because of some of the changes internally the guns supposedly wound up with some really great triggers out of the box. So much so that he said Ghost and some of the other after market parts manufacturers may be hurting.

Now, that is all as reported. He says that it lives up to the hype. For whatever reason, Glock decided to roll mark the gun Gen5 instead of the 17M designation that it started out with.

If all of this is true, it likely won't just be my duty gun, but also my striker fired competition gun when I don't shoot DA/SA. Right now, I am shooting a M&P 2.0.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ thanks.

I recalled way back when Glock went to the 3 pin for Glock 9mm, it was for strength for use with +P and +P+ stuff. Now they've gone back to the 2 pin design like the 43. 3 pin no longer needed?

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The third pin was never needed on the 9mms. It was originally introduced with the .40 caliber Glocks, and eventually incorporated into the 9mm frame as well to streamline production. (So Glock could use one frame for all 9/40/357 guns.)

The Gen 5 is only being made in 9mm so far. We'll have to wait and see if the third pin appears on the .40/.357 Gen 5s.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^I would suspect this is the reasoning for two pins.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The third pin was never needed on the 9mms. It was originally introduced with the .40 caliber Glocks, and eventually incorporated into the 9mm frame as well to streamline production. (So Glock could use one frame for all 9/40/357 guns.)

The Gen 5 is only being made in 9mm so far. We'll have to wait and see if the third pin appears on the .40/.357 Gen 5s.

Ahh your memory is better than mine. I'll get the gen 5 then after good reports from members rolling in. The 2 pin setup had bothered me thus I didn't get the 43, even after the problems had subsided.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The Gen 5 designation is used, but it's limited to the 17/19.

Probably won't be Gen5 in other calibers for a while. Look for an unofficial gen4.5. Basically a gen4 with no finger grooves.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Any chance they went back to a finish that is more durable the the black on a Shoot and See target?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Any chance they went back to a finish that is more durable the the black on a Shoot and See target?

The slide finish in the pics looks the same as on the current guns .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know if the crappy ejection has been fixed .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am curious about the finish change. My Gen 4 has seen a lot of use and still looks excellent...hard to see how the finish could be "improved".

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My Gen 4 has been in and out of kydex a handful of times and is scratched up. My Gen 3s can basically be drug behind a car over a gravel road made of glass and not show a thing.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post