SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Apparently the Gen 5 G17/19 are available for preorder.
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently the Gen 5 G17/19 are available for preorder. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
$560 on PSA's website as a Labor Day sale.

Much more interesting at this price!

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I managed to hold one (G17) today. Trigger wasn't too bad, felt sharper and less mushy than the usual Gen4, but I'll be curious to see how consistent they are across several examples. I definitely don't miss the finger grooves and besides, in a G19 flavor it'll be much like my Gen2 where the front strap cutaway and the shorter grip won't bother me (since the way I hold I don't use pressure from my strong hand pinkie anyways). Given how I've grown to like my RMR'd Gen4 G19, if Glock makes the Gen5 in a MOS version I'm definitely in.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Any word if they're planning to offer suppressor-ready versions? I'd go buy a threaded barrel gen 5 today if they offered one. Not thrilled at the prospect of buying a $600 pistol and dumping another $200 into it.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have friends that have gen 5s....both report issues with Pmags in the gen 5 guns locking the slide back before the magazine is empty

One of my buddies is an armorer, and industry professional, and it looks like magpul is aware of it..we were talking today and looking at the internals and if you look at the lip of the slide stop thst the mag follower presses against it is different and larger in the gen 5

I have a 17 I hope to go test tomorrow

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Gen4 finger grooves fit me fine, so I'll be watching from the sidelines for awhile.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Gen4 finger grooves fit me fine, so I'll be watching from the sidelines for awhile.

Same. I've learned the hard way to sit on the sidelines and never buy new to market firearms. I'd like to eval the new 17 and may do so at some point in the future but I like the grooves and am in no hurry whatsoever. The 19 or anything I regularly carry doesn't interest me much if gen 5 necessitates new holsters. It's like they improved it and at the same time fucked things up. It's not like the thing is a game changer, it's just marginal or eveloutionary changes. No revolution. It's just new so some cream their pants. New iphone tendecises in the gun world.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lmacrichter:
Our local range had Glock here last Friday night from mid night to 2 am with the new models to shoot and for sale. I didn't get there but will ask tomorrow how things went. I want to know how people liked them and how many they sold.

Our range master said about 50 people turned out but only 16 shot the guns and only 5 were sold. He said he liked the feel but only the Glock owners were interested in shooting/buying the new models.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to pick up a G17 Gen5 with Ameriglo sights. I expect I'll eventually get a G19Gen5 as well.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I hate the idea of the ambi slide lock. I'll hold one, but doubt the finger-groove-less-ness will make me dump my gen4 that I love so much.

I wonder if it'll affect holsters. Leather will probably deal with it....kydex not so much.

I held one a couple of days ago at a LGS. Felt good to me. The finger grooves were what killed my glock experience on my gen 4 G19 and my G30s. Just wrong for me. If I ever decide to carry a compact again I will probably go with the gen5 G19.

Vedder holsters already has a new kydex version for the gen 5s.

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Glock finally has the Gen 5 web page up and running.

http://gen5.glock.us

My G19 arrived at the shop yesterday and picking it up tomorrow morning. Cool

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Just got to try them both at the shop. For me the 19 was "meh", I prefer the G4 with finger grooves. The 17 though....I see one in my future. It felt fantastic. That slight reduction in size made it feel better than my gen2 17. The trigger felt like a Glock. Nothing special in my opinion, but then I honestly have never felt two Glock triggers that felt the same.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 19 arrived, but I haven't shot it yet. I notice very little difference in the feel of the frame. I guess the finger grooves on the older guns are my size. They've never bothered me.

The trigger spring (return spring, really) is much firmer without making the actual trigger pull heavier, which I like. It has a much more positive return, which might cut split times very shortly for faster shooters. The spring itself has more in common with the old NY series springs than the stock older spring. My example has a very nice trigger for a Glock. One of the better ones I've had.

The so-called magwell is a bit of a gimmick to me. No noticeable difference running dry reloads on a timer. New mag floor plates seem unnecessary. New followers are copied from Magpul (I know Magpul isn't the first company to make a colored follower. Recessed barrel crown is a nice touch. The DLC finish initially seems really nice. Will no gen 3 frying pan to me, but better than any of the gen 4 finishes. We'll see how it wears.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also read that the Ameriglo night sights are factory installed.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have about 750 rounds through my 17 now. I like it so far. Accuracy is way above par from previous generations. Especially at distance.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
I handled both sizes today and was impressed with the changes. The triggers felt much better that older versions, the slide finish was deep and smooth, the mag well was a welcome improvement and (I think) you can shoot lead through the new barrel ... which is mandatory at my club's plate range. Sign me up for a G34 when available.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I got my 19 today and totally impressed. Love the no finger grooves. Trigger feels great although I may still put a - connector in. I really like the mags and longer baseplate. The cut out doesn't bother me in the least. I have 400-500 rounds set aside for some trigger time. I will say that I'm also very impressed with the recessed barrel crown. I could live without the ambi slide lock but it doesn't bother me.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Gen 5 17 yesterday. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it fits in all my existing holsters just fine and the trigger is a fair bit better in dry fire than my Gen 3 or 4 Glocks. I'm glad to see the finger grooves gone, but I'm a bit sad to see the return of the mag cutout on the frontstrap. Doesn't bother me on the 17, but it was a mite uncomfortable on the 19 I handled.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested in a Glock 17. However I wonder if Glock will be releasing a 26 and 34 in a Generation 5 variant.

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Picked up my G19 this morning! Cool

I'm glad my Blue Label dealer had several to choose from though. The first one they brought out looked good until I looked closer and noticed that the rear sight was almost completely to the right side of the slide cutout. It didn't seem loose and no evidence of the gun being dropped but I kindly asked to see another one to compare. The second one had a perfectly centered rear sight and was perfect in every other way so that is the one I picked out and boy did I choose wisely! (more on that later) It seemed really odd that a new pistol would have the sight so far to the right. Not a good sign and usually indicates some kind of defect or possibly unfavorable tolerance stacking in the pistol in general indicating that the sights are having to drastically make up for it. The serial number of the second one was totally different than the first one except for the first character so I suspect the first one was possibly from a first production batch or something, maybe even one of the ones Glock sent out to dealers that people could try out and shoot during their introduction over the weekend. Not that it looked used but might have been a leftover of that batch. In either case....

Things I noticed right away:

The trigger is exceptionally smooth in its travel with no rigid resistance before the break. This trigger was made to surprise you on the break, no doubt to also contribute to better accuracy by minimizing the tendency of some people to take up the slack to a defined point of resistance and then jerk the trigger past the break point. You can certainly anticipate the break to a good degree after getting familiar with the take up, but there is no prominent "wall" per se that you have to push through or that you can really feel much of. You take up the slack, squeeze a little, and boom!

The slide stop is considerably easier to release than prior generations I've had or handled. At the same time, there was never a failure of it to hold open on the last round.

The finish is really impressive and slightly slick to the touch. Not anything that hinders handling but smooth feeling with a deep, black shade and a nice matte luster.

The slide to frame is very snug with no play in the rear and only very slight movement towards the front.

Barrel has traditional rifling as reported and a nicely done recessed crown.

Grip feels excellent and with the texture it has and the standard backstrap already on it, it feels perfect in my hands. No need to put any kind of grip or tape on it either or worry about the cutout on the front.
You don't even feel it under your pinky, even when shooting. At least I didn't.

At the range I fired 250 rounds total of 124gr Magtech FMJ and 147gr Federal FMJ truncated cone, as well as my preferred carry round Federal HST standard pressure in 124gr. Pistol functioned perfectly in every way and was impressively accurate! Not only did I use the mags that came with it without issue, I also used a 20+ year old 15 round Gen2 mag that has seen quite a bit of use and was purposely left loaded for over 5 years in the past, without any issues either. Flat shooting, minimal muzzle flip, and a complete joy to shoot.

I shot mostly for familiarity, function and closer range performance first time out, especially since it seems that the only "flaw" Glock made on my sample was that it cursed it with the dreaded "shoot through the dot / combat" sight picture so it shoots noticeably low for me. Even when trying to compensate for it, the groups tended to be either bullseye level or slightly low. Groups were all well centered though. I plan to replace the front sight for sure anyway and possibly the rear as well. We'll see.

Without further ado, here are three of the groups shot with my G19 at seven yards 2 hand standing unsupported:

5 shots 124gr Magtech FMJ

2 full magazines of 124gr Magtech FMJ

5 shots of 124gr Federal HST standard pressure (empty case included for size reference)

Yeah, I'm happy! Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Great review, Dtech. I just shot a few rounds. I couldn't resist. After shooting Glock's for over 20 years, this is by far my favorite. Love the grip, trigger pull and reset. The cut out on the grip was not an issue. I also shot using my magpul pmags and I had zero issues. I'm just pissed I have to wait until tomorrow to shoot it more. I guess I'll install the night sights for range day tomorrow.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post