SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tempted by a Beretta, again...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tempted by a Beretta, again... Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I've had a couple of different Beretta 92's over the years. I still think the 92 is one of the sexiest handguns ever. But I get one, get bored with it, trade for something else move on.

Handled a 92X Centurian today and I was really impressed with it. The Vertec grip surprised me and seemed more comfortable than I remember it in the past. Do I need it? No. I've got a 2236SAO, 229SAO, Hi Power and a Dan Wesson 1911 in 9mm, so I think I've got my 9mm, "Needs" covered. Do I want it? Oh hell yes!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
A 92x Centurion is my most recent Beretta 92. Did I need it, no... I have several 92s already, but I got it anyway. After all I did not have a Centurion!

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Swing a little bit on the wild side - but be aware that the mag situation, while quite likely to improve, is currently a little dire. Oh, and no guarantees about external condition, although the BB that showed up around here looks pretty nice despite a mild bit of honest wear.

http://aimsurplus.com/beretta-...stol-standard-grade/

Or, if you'd really prefer a BB (I did) and you don't mind taking your chances with Sweaty Ben...

http://www.classicfirearms.com...used-good-very-good/

Or go nuts and get a 1951.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.co...-pistol-c-r-eligible

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Ahem.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but Beretta 92 mags are as common as blades of grass. Are there shortages I am unaware of?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no role model. I already had a sweet BHP that I've tuned to near perfection and a Springfield EMP for carry in 9mm, but I kept thinking about how much I liked the look of those 92FS Centurions from the early 2000s. So I got one. Made in 1994 and low round count. I added Wilson ultra slim grips, did a Langdon trigger job in a bag myself (which test the very limit of my gunsmithing skills), and had Allegheny Arms drill out the integral front sight and put in a fiber optic.

So, good luck...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Swing a little bit on the wild side - but be aware that the mag situation, while quite likely to improve, is currently a little dire. Oh, and no guarantees about external condition, although the BB that showed up around here looks pretty nice despite a mild bit of honest wear.

http://aimsurplus.com/beretta-...stol-standard-grade/

Or, if you'd really prefer a BB (I did) and you don't mind taking your chances with Sweaty Ben...

http://www.classicfirearms.com...used-good-very-good/

Or go nuts and get a 1951.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.co...-pistol-c-r-eligible

We’re talking about the new 92X. What gun are you talking about ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Correct me if I am wrong, but Beretta 92 mags are as common as blades of grass. Are there shortages I am unaware of?

He was referring to mags for the 81 found in the first two links in his post.

With regards to the OP, I can relate. I've owned a couple and always liked the look, but, they just never felt comfortable in hand especially when compared to a P226.

I took a chance on a Wilson Combat Vertec and it did the trick.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
We’re talking about the new 92X. What gun are you talking about ?

I'm talking about a couple of different guns that might appeal to someone who kinda likes Beretta 92s but always winds up selling them on. They're cheap, they're fun, and who knows? They just might scratch an itch. mcs1564 is right, though; I was referring to the fact that Model 81 mags are, for the moment, hard to find, expensive, or both. Since there seem to be an awful lot of the surplus 81s, though, it seems likely that a boatload of mags will show up at some point in the foreseeable future.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm tempted by a 92X. Considering selling my 92A1 to fund it.

My friend found a M9A3 local for $600, dude needed cash money. I let him use my suppressor to shoot it, he was all grins Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The flourishing aftermarket over the past 3-5 years has really helped the series IMO. Langdon, WC, and Beretta listening to customers.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Centurion are nice. The slight reduction in size is an improvement.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Ahem.

^^^^^
What Arc said. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/9110028264

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave in to the temptation today, picked up a 92g LTT today.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481:
A 92x Centurion is my most recent Beretta 92. Did I need it, no... I have several 92s already, but I got it anyway. After all I did not have a Centurion!

I like the new 92X Centurion but I’m Questioning why not go for an LTT either full size or a Centurion when available. Is an LTT worth the extra bucks?

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
My LTT compact is on order. My full size has become my favorite gun to shoot. I shoot it better than any of my Sigs, excluding the P210. The only advantage I see in my Sigs is the ability to have a red dot mounted on them. Damn the LTT is a fine weapon.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I think I've got my 9mm, "Needs" covered.

Pfffttt!! "Needs". Puh-leeze. It's "wants" that make this world go 'round!! I've got a Glock 34, a 19, two P228s, two 9mm AR carbine/pistol thingys, and a H&K P7/M8. Do I "need" another 9mm gun? No, and yet . . . yes. Hell's yes, but I can't tell what I want!? Dan Wesson 9mm? Beretta 92A3? CZ Shadow? STI Stacco-D? The new hotness coming in 2020? I don't know BUT I DO know I didn't log in for "needs" discussion! So scratch that itch so I can live vicariously though you!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the littler guns. They are only a little smaller than the full size but just small enough they are good for carry and comfortable to shoot.

I really want to get a M9A3 next as there are so many options for that pistol.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I came home with a new 92X full size today.
I knew as soon as I gripped that beauty with the slim Vertec grip I wasn’t leaving without it.

I compared it side by side with an M9A3 and a factory LTT. There was just no comparison to me. The 92X just “fit” my hand and stuck to it. Hopefully the texture won’t be too aggressive.

The grip texture on the 92x made those on the other two feel less than adequate, though I’m sure they are not.

I haven’t had a chance to even take it out of the case since I got home earlier today. Hopefully I can get out to the range tomorrow or early next week. I hope it lives up to my excitement level.

It is unfortunately an F type decocker / safety but I’ve already converted a PX4 and and an M9A1 Compact L to G type decockers and that will have to be a first upgrade. And maybe a little work on the trigger. Time will tell.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post