SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you rely on the 357 SIG cartridge in at least one defensive handgun, please take this poll.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you rely on the 357 SIG cartridge in at least one defensive handgun, please take this poll. Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Would the .357 Sig cartridge still deliver good performance out of a 3.5” barrel?

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Have tried and tried to find the right fit
ended up going back to my P239 in .357
many are saying the platform is dead
I have lots of mags and a couple new recoil springs
should be alright?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Would the .357 Sig cartridge still deliver good performance out of a 3.5” barrel?

The Federal 125JHP load leaves the P239 at 1341 FPS.
The Winchester 125JHP Ranger SXT load leaves the P239 at 1321 FPS.
The SIG 125JHP V-Crown load leaves the P239 at 1335 FPS.

All velocities are the average of 2 - 5 shot strings from multiple P239s

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
I have bought 4 pistols chambered in that brilliant little round from my agency as new pistols were issued, love them all!

Appx. year manufactured and model below:

1998 P226 DA/SA Non-rail
2004 P226R DAK
2012 P229R DAK
2012 P239 DAK

I have also added these:
1998 P229 DA/SA Non-rail
2012 P226 DA/SA Elite Dark

Will be adding an early P226 Legion in .357 Sig as soon as funds allow and would not mind having a Heckler and Koch USP357 Compact, either. Although I bet that last one jumps like a cat on hot asphalt when you trip the trigger, LOL!

.357 Sig is a fantastic cartridge, excellent street record for stopping quickly, feeds perfectly and annoys 'FBI jello junkie' fanboys.
What's not to love?
The USPc is not that bad. Even upon emptying the magazine

The HK P2000Sk is the one that surprised me. It handles the cartridge very well (recoil wise) and is one of the most accurate 357SIGs pistols I have ever carried or tested. On top of that it carries well in the front pocket of the 5.11 Covert Khakis. Plus your reload can be a full size USPc magazine. I use the X-grip adapters to fill in that little bit of area below the frame

I actually just put the P2000Sk back in the safe yesterday. We had been shooting it a few weeks ago

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

The P2000Sk would be a bit hard for me to control, I fear, as my hands run along the 'XL' size, about like those of Dan Marino. But the USP Compact still intrigues me!

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:

The P2000Sk would be a bit hard for me to control, I fear, as my hands run along the 'XL' size, about like those of Dan Marino.
But the USP Compact still intrigues me!

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:

The Federal 125JHP load leaves the P239 at 1341 FPS.
The Winchester 125JHP Ranger SXT load leaves the P239 at 1321 FPS.
The SIG 125JHP V-Crown load leaves the P239 at 1335 FPS.

All velocities are the average of 2 - 5 shot strings from multiple P239s

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.357 Sig and the P239 are a great match for each other.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
P229
GEN 4 G32
Steyr M357-A1 (seems I've got one of the very few)

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ All too few - I'd just about give my eyeteeth for a factory "L".

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I had picked up a P239 in 40 cal and one of the members here sold me a 357 barrel for it. this was a DAK trigger system and I was not familiar with it and not sure I like it and so drove close to an hour to pick up another P239 in 357 sig and then discovered it was also a DAK... but ended up buying it anyway to not waste the drive time.... this past weekend I spent close to 5 hours trading out the trigger system on the 2nd one to SA/DA... boy what a learning experience! But now I have two p239s in 357 sig.... one DAK and one SA/DA and am a happy camper.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a franken 357sig. gen4 compact frame with lonewolf slide and barrel.

does any company make a single stack 357sig that isn't a 1911 or P239

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
does any company make a single stack 357sig that isn't a 1911 or P239

You can get a 357 SIG conversion barrel for the S&W Shield.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post