SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking to add a Sub Compact
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to add a Sub Compact Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I know that I am walking into a potential minefield here, but here goes.

I’m seeking a S/C that I can easily slip into a front pocket or more likely, tuck into a pocket of one of the assorted shoulder bags I carry every day.

I’ve eliminated.380 as I have just not had a lot of success shooting that caliber.

After significant research I’ve narrowed my choices down to 3:

Smith & Wesson M2.0 Shield

Sig Sauer P365.

Walther PPS M2

Thoughts/recommendations?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Wife has a shield. Dad has a p365. Size is roughly the same, but more rounds available in the Sig. Both are nice to shoot.

That said my pm9 is still smaller and slimmer.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

...That said my pm9 is still smaller and slimmer.

As is its almost twin and cheaper brother the CM9.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Indeed, and had it been available when I bought he pm9 I would've gotten that one instead. Smile

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I carried a PM9 for about 13 years, front right pocket carry in a Desantis Superfly, loved that gun. I never thought about changing up until the 365 came along, going from 7 rounds to 11 is a game changer to me and roughly the same size.

I finally found a bright stainless one a couple of months ago after looking since about Feb., luckily at a shop where i'm known and didn't get gouged. I took it straight to the range and put 100 rounds through it, instant love. Bought it a new Superfly and it's with me every day

About every other week PSA has them available, you can sign up to get email alerts

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
P365 Cool

I've been raving about the P365 ever since I got it early last year. I waited a while for all the bugs to be worked out before jumping into the fray. Anything made in 2019 and after is gtg. I've owned 4 of them (one is the gimmicky SAS). Only have one left, the original one, and I have so far over a thousand rounds of all kinds of ammo through it without a single malfunction, and I have yet to give it a thorough cleaning. This thing handles +P ammo with ease. Recoil is quite manageable for such a small gun.

For me, it's the perfect carry gun. Ten rounds plus one in a subcompact that I can get all my fingers on the grip even without the pinky extension, and that I can easily pocket carry. I no longer carry the P228, and that should tell you how much I like the P365.

About the P365 Extra Large (XL), I know a lot of folks like it, but not me. It just has no appeal to me. A little longer here and there, and it sacrifices all the deep concealability of the original gun. That's my take on it.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's my take on it.

And that’s the take I’ve been waiting for.

Thank you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several different pocket / sub-compact IWB and the P365 SAS has become my favorite. It’s great for point shooting and once I got familiar with its sight even out to 20 yards hits are pretty easy.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The only one of those I own is a Shield and it's been great.
Perfect size for my hand, very accurate (and mine is the supposedly inaccurate 1.0) and flawless operation. My only changes are a dayglow front nitesight and Magguts +2 added to my 8 round magazines giving 10 +1.
Due to their popularity, they have great parts and accessory availability.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned a Shield and currently own a PPS. Both are good and the PPS is fantastic. I don’t consider either pocket pistols.

That said in 2020/2021 I just can’t see any choice other then the P365 in this realm. It’s really amazing the first time you pick one up. I am not sure it’s a true “pocket pistol” either as I find most semi autos print in pockets but it is your obvious choice and has made most of the others obsolescent.

I am not going to sell my PPS for a 365 but if I were buying new today it would likely be a 365.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

...That said my pm9 is still smaller and slimmer.

Not in any significant way... The PM9/CM9 and the P365 are functionally identical in size, yet the P365 has a better trigger and holds 4 more rounds (10 vs 6), with the option of 12 and 15 round magazines too.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with any of the type except the P365, but I am very happy with mine. I have only about 270 rounds through mine thus far, but that includes everything from wimpy training ammunition to 124 grain +P Gold Dots with no malfunctions. The sights align very naturally for me, and I haven’t found any of the ammunition to be unpleasant to shoot even with my arthritic hands and wrists. Because of the ways I carry the gun I chose one with a manual safety, and it’s easy and intuitive to engage and disengage.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I'm not really a Glock fan, even though I own a few. I sold my G43 after I brought my Shield. And I sold my Shield(s) after purchasing my first P365.

Now, I have all 3 variants of the 365 but I like the XL the most.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A pocket-viable gun: it would be the P365 for me, hands down. Even with my body size (and customary front pants pocket size), I've been able to carry (and draw) each of my two P365s in the front pocket of my jeans/slacks with a DeSantis Superfly holster (not at the same time of course Big Grin ). I've tried my G43 on a couple of occasions and it too is doable, but 6+1 doesn't come close to what the SIG is capable of. There's no way a Shield in either generation will match the form factor of the littlest SIG, and nor could I hope to carry it in the same pocket. Maybe a jacket pocket, but aside from cargos no pair of pants that I currently own would be able to handle it.

After watching a friend's PM9 fall apart at the range, there's no amount of glowing reports from others that will erase away that imagery out of my mind's eye or gray matter. Maybe down the road a case of Alzheimer's could, but I wouldn't count on it. It was THAT vivid. And mind searing.

My pic here shows the relative sizes of four of my skinny 9mm subs. Missing off the top of my head is my LC9S, 709 Slim, and in-purgatory 1st gen XDS (I detest Springfield the company). Only the XDS with a 7rd flush mag comes anywhere close to matching the size of the diminutive P365 (not really), and it's still handicapped given how relatively heavy the Springfield is. The size of the SIG given its capacity is truly amazing.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I scoured the many local gun shops this morning for a 365; to include Cabela’s. Nothing. For months.

Heading home I stopped by Fleet Farm - Bingo!

Sold me their display model...it’s been in the case since last evening! LOL

Doing the paperwork now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
I will swim upstream on the 365. I went all in on mine with holsters and extra magazines. Then found I did not shoot it well. No problem with the gun. Accurate and reliability was excellent. I was not able to control it. Sold mine and went with the Glock 26. I can pocket carry a 26, just not in my pants pocket. Jacket or vest is no problem.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 365XL , one with Romeo and one without. Really like the gun. Carries well for me on a daily basis usually IWB. Still trying to weigh the option of the smaller 365 as a second or for certain situations.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice grab. It's perfect for what you're looking to do.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmartin:
I have 2 365XL , one with Romeo and one without. Really like the gun. Carries well for me on a daily basis usually IWB. Still trying to weigh the option of the smaller 365 as a second or for certain situations.

The first few places I went had XL’s available; I passed because I really wanted the smaller gun for as you call it, “Certain situations”. In my case there are a times I would prefer an ‘off body’ carry in the small bag I usually have with me; not to mention....sometimes I just don’t feel like strapping on a larger gun. No excuses not to carry when this always at arms length.

Thanks again for all of the feedback guys, I’ve already got a box of rounds through it and I’m very very pleased!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
With the pistols you have listed I would do the 365. I do not have one but, shot a couple. Nice little guns.

I carry a Beretta APX Carry. I know people will say APX, blehhhhh.... or whatever. However, I have yet to have a malfunction with it. It is very accurate. It is very reliable. It is very easy to shoot and manages recoil very well. And, I think has one of the best striker fire triggers around. It is thin and fits anywhere very easily.

I have had a CM9, CM380, P3AT, G42, G43, SW 442, and SW 642. They are all gone or hidden in the back of the safe. The APX Carry has taken over.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post