SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock related, need some input
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock related, need some input Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
I purchased a well used gen 2.5 G27 because the price was right and it came with several extras.

After replacing some of the parts for convenience; extended mag release, extended slide stop lever, smooth trigger - and some for function; new RSA - I have tested this gun quite a bit, and it now runs like Gaston intended. (All parts I replaced were with factory Glock parts, no aftermarket.)

I had some initial issues, but I found out the previous owner was a BIG believer in grease. As in too much grease, nearly everywhere. After a complete strip, clean, and reassembly, it shoots straight and reliably with all my ammo.

However, I have one issue that still bugs me. The frame was cut for the aftermarket safety. I removed all the safety parts and to his credit - or whoever did the cut - it looks very pro. Smooth surface, and perfect sizing. Not like some of the hack jobs I've seen on these in the wild.

As stated, the gun now functions normally. There is no physical or visible flaw in the frame. But it bugs the crap out of me that the frame has that cut-out. Will it ever affect the gun? Longevity, reliability, etc.? I don't know.

If you had this issue, and wanted it fixed, what would you do to remedy it?

What would happen if you sent it to Glock?

Would they refuse to work on it in it's modified state?

Would they replace the frame as a safety issue?

Should a person just spend the money and buy one of the frames listed on gunbroker or similar?

Does it matter if the frame you do buy is for a G26 or G27 or G33? (I was always under the impression that they were all the same)

I like the gen 2.5 frame (finger grooves but no stippling) but I have no issues with gen 3 or gen 4 frames either.

Is there anything about a gen 2.5 "upper" that will not allow it to fit a gen 3 frame? What about a gen 4?

Lots of questions, I know, but let me know what you know; your experiences, rumor, folklore, internet stories, etc.

Thanks for reading.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bionic218,

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no safety issue if it was done properly, and it shouldn't affect reliability. I can't imagine what would drive someone to put a safety on a G27, but to each his own.

If a pistol is sent to Glock, they won't send it back if unsafe, but if it has aftermarket parts, they'll remove all the aftermarket parts and replace them with stock OEM parts. Where you're using Glock parts, they will likely not do that, unless you're using a minus connector, in which case they'll put the stock connector back in.

You can get a new frame from Glock. Call them.

You can also use the upper on other generations of Glocks. It will fit a Gen 3 no problem.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
From what you describe, it does not sound like there is a danger of the gun being unsafe. Likely, Glock won't replace the frame for free. I know of a K9 officer whose dog chewed on his G22. They wouldn't replace it despite his claim of "line of duty". Glock is a business.

There are lots of horror stories that go around about manufacturers removing non factory parts and keeping them when the gun is sent in for warranty work.
Recently, a Smith and Wesson rep all but said that Apex parts caused a SWAT members M&P to go full auto. When pinned down about it on the break, when class resumed he admitted that it really might not have happened that way. He went on to say that if a gun was sent in for warranty, aftermarket parts would be removed and kept. When pressed on the fact that was theft by unlawful taking, he stated that they may remove the parts if they are causing the problem, but their official line was that no aftermarket parts were allowed. In reading between the lines, companies use the I'ma gonna keep your parts" BS as a scare to keep people from using aftermarket parts instead of their custom shop services.

Because at the end of the day, as mentioned, it is theft to take out parts and keep them. Not to mention a United Airlines style nightmare PR wise. But, it costs nothing, and is not a crime to create a boogyman, and keep repeating wives tales. Did I mention removing your stuff from a gun and keeping it is theft? Send a gun in which trijicon night sights, and the company removes them and installs a different sight because they are non factory and keeps them? Or an RMR? Theft by unlawful taking, boys and girls.

Pretty much all of the companies have said that if the parts aren't causing the issue, they aren't going to mess with them. Now, if some of the parts are the issue, or there is an upgrade to that area that might be affected, they'll remove the parts and perform the upgrade.

To the OP, contact Glock's CS and speak with them on it. I suspect they will just tell you to keep shooting it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock wont replace the frame free, but they can repkace it.

When I have sent a pistol to Glock, it comes back with current, stock parts installed. They will not return a pistol with aftermarket parts installed.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it is still theft, and they know this.

They may or may not return it in stock form, but they must return your parts. Otherwise, as noted, it is theft.

If they do, take the new parts out, and hey, you've got a bunch of new parts.

No matter how it is spun, theft is theft. They can not take your property because they don't like it, or it violates their own internal policies.

That is the bottom line. This urban legend that they will steal your stuff just isn't so. It keeps getting repeated, but a company CAN NOT steal your personal belongings because of internal polices. Whether it is Glock, Smith and Wesson, or SIG.j

Many companies repeat the boogeyman, but it is a for profit reason.

I had this conversation with Chris Edwards many years ago at a GSSF match. He was upgrading peoples guns for free, and was returning non factory parts. When something was said about keeping the parts, he smiled and stated that it would be theft if he did.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
From what you describe, it does not sound like there is a danger of the gun being unsafe. Likely, Glock won't replace the frame for free. I know of a K9 officer whose dog chewed on his G22. They wouldn't replace it despite his claim of "line of duty". Glock is a business.

There are lots of horror stories that go around about manufacturers removing non factory parts and keeping them when the gun is sent in for warranty work.
Recently, a Smith and Wesson rep all but said that Apex parts caused a SWAT members M&P to go full auto. When pinned down about it on the break, when class resumed he admitted that it really might not have happened that way. He went on to say that if a gun was sent in for warranty, aftermarket parts would be removed and kept. When pressed on the fact that was theft by unlawful taking, he stated that they may remove the parts if they are causing the problem, but their official line was that no aftermarket parts were allowed. In reading between the lines, companies use the I'ma gonna keep your parts" BS as a scare to keep people from using aftermarket parts instead of their custom shop services.

Because at the end of the day, as mentioned, it is theft to take out parts and keep them. Not to mention a United Airlines style nightmare PR wise. But, it costs nothing, and is not a crime to create a boogyman, and keep repeating wives tales. Did I mention removing your stuff from a gun and keeping it is theft? Send a gun in which trijicon night sights, and the company removes them and installs a different sight because they are non factory and keeps them? Or an RMR? Theft by unlawful taking, boys and girls.

Pretty much all of the companies have said that if the parts aren't causing the issue, they aren't going to mess with them. Now, if some of the parts are the issue, or there is an upgrade to that area that might be affected, they'll remove the parts and perform the upgrade.

To the OP, contact Glock's CS and speak with them on it. I suspect they will just tell you to keep shooting it.

On the civil side it would be conversion. You could sue, but suits for $200 worth of parts don't often make sense.

They should just refuse to work on guns with aftermarket parts, if that is the point they want to make.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

They should just refuse to work on guns with aftermarket parts, if that is the point they want to make.

Exactly.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I purchased a well used gen 2.5 G27 because the price was right and it came with several extras.

After replacing some of the parts for convenience; extended mag release, extended slide stop lever, smooth trigger - and some for function; new RSA - I have tested this gun quite a bit, and it now runs like Gaston intended. (All parts I replaced were with factory Glock parts, no aftermarket.)

I had some initial issues, but I found out the previous owner was a BIG believer in grease. As in too much grease, nearly everywhere. After a complete strip, clean, and reassembly, it shoots straight and reliably with all my ammo.

However, I have one issue that still bugs me. The frame was cut for the aftermarket safety. I removed all the safety parts and to his credit - or whoever did the cut - it looks very pro. Smooth surface, and perfect sizing. Not like some of the hack jobs I've seen on these in the wild.

As stated, the gun now functions normally. There is no physical or visible flaw in the frame. But it bugs the crap out of me that the frame has that cut-out. Will it ever affect the gun? Longevity, reliability, etc.? I don't know.

If you had this issue, and wanted it fixed, what would you do to remedy it?

What would happen if you sent it to Glock?

Would they refuse to work on it in it's modified state?

Would they replace the frame as a safety issue?

Should a person just spend the money and buy one of the frames listed on gunbroker or similar?

Does it matter if the frame you do buy is for a G26 or G27 or G33? (I was always under the impression that they were all the same)

I like the gen 2.5 frame (finger grooves but no stippling) but I have no issues with gen 3 or gen 4 frames either.

Is there anything about a gen 2.5 "upper" that will not allow it to fit a gen 3 frame? What about a gen 4?

Lots of questions, I know, but let me know what you know; your experiences, rumor, folklore, internet stories, etc.

The correct answer is to call Glock customer service & get your answer directly from them.

I had a friend send an early Glock 2.5 back for a damaged frame (this was a couple of years ago) & they did charge for the new frame as well as not use a 2.5 frame but (I believe) used a gen 3 frame.

It had some aftermarket parts & they didn't swap them over but replaced them with factory parts & sent his non-factory parts back with the gun in a plastic bag.

Posts: 125 | Registered: October 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you bought this gun as a inexpensive shooter knowing that it had a cosmetic issue.
Now you have done the minor maintenance to make it reliable so just shoot it. I wouldn't spend a lot to fix the cosmetics alone.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
When I have sent a pistol to Glock, it comes back with current, stock parts installed. They will not return a pistol with aftermarket parts installed.
As I would expect.

As stated keeping your parts, could be considered theft. However, for liability reasons I would not expect Glock, or any other gun manufacturer to use your aftermarket parts when doing repair work.

Hell, people should be grateful they will do any warranty work on the gun with the aftermarket parts installed. If they can reasonably say the aftermarket work, and/or part, is causing the issue, they can deny the warranty claim.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
The correct answer is to call Glock customer service & get your answer directly from them.

That's the route I went. Called them today.

As many said, they stated they had not seen the safety cut-out cause any issues that keep the gun from operating or cause a failure. They did offer to swap the frame to a gen3 for $100, which I thought was very generous, but by the time I pay the shipping on it we're looking a few dollars difference in the same money as ordering a new frame off gunbroker.

I think I'll continue to run it as is, and if it gets to bothering me too much I'll just grab one off gunbroker and swap it out myself.

Thanks for all the advice, and the interesting side topic of aftermarket parts. As stated in the OP, I have upgraded several parts, but they are all Glock brand parts, no aftermarket.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, and it is still theft, and they know this.

They may or may not return it in stock form, but they must return your parts. Otherwise, as noted, it is theft.

If they do, take the new parts out, and hey, you've got a bunch of new parts.

No matter how it is spun, theft is theft. They can not take your property because they don't like it, or it violates their own internal policies.

That is the bottom line. This urban legend that they will steal your stuff just isn't so. It keeps getting repeated, but a company CAN NOT steal your personal belongings because of internal polices. Whether it is Glock, Smith and Wesson, or SIG.j

Many companies repeat the boogeyman, but it is a for profit reason.

I had this conversation with Chris Edwards many years ago at a GSSF match. He was upgrading peoples guns for free, and was returning non factory parts. When something was said about keeping the parts, he smiled and stated that it would be theft if he did.

I said nothing about returning or not returning parts, as it was irrelevant to my comments.

Glock does return the parts, but only returns factory stock parts in the weapon. Even a Glock minus connector gets removed and a standard connector put in. They dont mess with the sights.

That said, when I sent my cracked Shield to S&W, they offered to "replace" it be selling me a new one, but part of the deal was that they would keep my original one (and all that was on it, including the sights). I told them they could keep their "replacement," pound sand, and send my broken pistol back. They're not burying the proof and getting me to pay them to do it. Not a chance.

I was just talking with someone today about refurbishing flight helmets. He remarked about a well known company that does that, and routinely dismantles the helmet and wont re-install any aftermarket parts. The company wont return them, and wont return the helmet unless all knew Gentex replacement parts are ordered and they install the parts. It's limited to firearm manufacturers.

Glock doesnt insist on replacing parts with stock for profit reasons, as they dont charge the customer to throw the replacement stock parts in the pistol. Glock does it for duty and liability reasons; they send out non-stock parts in a pistol they've serviced, they assume some measure of responsibility for them. They dont recommend or take responsibility for nonstandard factory parts, and they shouldnt be expected to.

Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

On the civil side it would be conversion. You could sue, but suits for $200 worth of parts don't often make sense.

Rolex does this exact thing. If you have aftermarket non Rolex factory parts like diamond encrusted aftermarket bezel, they won't work on it.

Yup.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post