SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My P 365 is going on temporary suspension
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My P 365 is going on temporary suspension Login/Join 
posted
My 365 was made the last part of March. The only issue I thought I had was that a stock 10 round magazine would many times fail to lock the slide back when it was empty.

Sig swapped out my magazine without me having to return the gun so I thought all was well. The new magazine seemed to work OK.

My 12 round magazine never failed so I thought I was good to go.

Today at the range, the 10 round magazine never locked back the slide when it was empty even after 4 or 5 attempts. Also, the 12 round magazine gave me a classical stove pipe when it was half empty with my carry ammo (Federal non +P, 140 grn ammo).

Maybe the springs take a set after being loaded for several months such as mine were.

I will call Sig tomorrow and share my thoughts with them about the springs. If they do not agree or offer a good explanation, I think I will find this gun a new home and go back to my Glock 19 (the Glock can stay loaded 4 or 5 months and never experience a malfunction).

Any thoughts on this. I really hate to give up on my 365. It is very accurate and other than what I have described, functions great.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 417 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I sold mine today. It returned from Sig with a fixed label, but I can’t trust it.

I’ll rotate between my P320SC and Glock 19 for now. Kinda hoping Glock comes out with something like a P365 and I’ll think about a Micro again.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I shot my Dad's, the slide didn't lock back for me either until I realized my thumb was riding the slide lock lever. Readjusted my grip and all was well.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
I know that it is infuriating to have someone suggest that it could be your thumb causing the problem, especially since your 12 round mags seem to be alleviating the issue.

I can only say that for me due to the size of the gun and the ergonomics and the positioning of the slide release it seems to take only the smallest amount of pressure to depress the slide release enough to prevent a lock back of the slide.

I own lots of Sigs, and have owned about every model they've made, so I know how to avoid this error with all my other Sigs. But for some reason, it's taken me much more deliberate training to avoid any contact with the slide release on the P365.

I've noticed that the recoil in combination with the compact grip you have to maintain on such a small gun tends to cause my thumb to drift back toward the frame. Once I figured that out, the slide locks back 100% of the time. I have to make a mental effort to make sure that my shooting hand thumb wraps around the base of my non-shooting hand thumb.

My guess is that you get a much better purchase on the gun while using your 12 round mags and you are able to better stabilize the gun and your thumb is less likely to brush the slide release. You can try testing this, if you haven't already, by shooting one handed with only your shooting hand.

I think this is a bit of a design flaw, much like it was on the initial design of the P320. My guess is they eventually modify the frame/slide release design to minimize this issue.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My 365 is like the energizer bunny, I run 12 round mags thru it and it just keeps going.

I really love that pistol, but it would be cool is Glock came out with a 12 rounder, maybe in the laboratory deep under ground they are working on one.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
In addition to the slide not locking back on an empty mag, one can have ejection issues to feeding issues, if one allows their thumb to rub against the slide and depending on the pressure applied.

A friend has shot my 365 about four different times. Each time, at the beginning of the range session, he has had issues with the slide not locking back or going into battery. I used to have similar issues, when I first started shooting it.

It all traces back to thumbs being in the wrong place. As soon as the thumbs stopped making contact, the "problems" have resolved themselves.

Now, if I allow someone to try my 365, I warn them beforehand to mind their thumb placement.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm left handed and with a March build date, just over 900rds through it.

I started having a failure to lock back as well. The difference for me was these last couple hundred rounds were Federal AE and Remington UMC 100rd bulk 115gr. I had been using Speer lawman 147gr. but I stopped by Wally world and figured I could skip the shipping cost if they ran alright.

I didn't have any failures initially with 115gr, using Speer Lawman and Blazer brass.

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Within the first mag or two from my April '18 P365, I had one failure to lock back, that after looking at the position of my grip and making a slight adjustment, I never had any further occurrences.

The way I look at it, if a firearm has an issue that requires an RMA, when it comes back and runs fine, then no worries. If it continues to have either the same or different issues, then that's when I'd start seriously considering getting rid of that particular firearm.

I have a .40 229 that I bought in Germany in the mid '90s that refused to lock back on multiple mags, right out of the box. I sent it back, recieved it a week later good to go and haven't had an issue with it since.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I got called this week from my LGS that a P365 was in (I had put my name on their wait list). I just couldn’t do it - I’m happy with my G43 and Shield. I keep hoping they get this one right but there are too many stories like the ones above.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
Your Born in March P365 was one of the original models without the upgrades, I would send it back to Sig and have them put them all on.

I had a 30 June 2018 born date one that shot flawlessly but still have very severe striker drag so I unloaded it on consignment at my LGS.

I recently picked up another with a born date of 30 Oct 2018 and it also fires flawlessly with mild striker drag so I'm keeping this one.

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
The 365 was a great idea, but didn't have enough R&D behind it.

It's like owning a Funny Car dragster. It's all kinds of fun when you run it, but IT WILL break, it's just a matter of when.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Anecdotal evidence at best: My wife and I have 300 rounds each out of our 365s. For us, they are accurate and reliable. So much so that I traded for the funds to get another one.

It will also get a 300 round shakedown.
I am giving my P239 SAS Gen2 to my son in law for his 50th.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texaspoff: It's all kinds of fun when you run it, but IT WILL break, it's just a matter of when.

TXPO

That statement could be applied to any device made by man. Heck, even planets and stars eventually "break". If mine breaks in 30 years and 10,000 rounds, I'm OK with that. I'll be dead by then and will have gotten my use out of it.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Sig must ship their hardier weapons to Minnesota. Almost 20 years as an owner of Sigs after switching from Colt, and I am a "look at Sig first" gun buyer.

pretty much all of my Sig problems have been caused by the Pistol Activation System, me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Sig must ship their hardier weapons to Minnesota. Almost 20 years as an owner of Sigs after switching from Colt, and I am a "look at Sig first" gun buyer.

pretty much all of my Sig problems have been caused by the Pistol Activation System, me.

And these pistols were P365 and P320 models?

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBP55:
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:

And these pistols were P365 and P320 models?

As stated in an earlier post, I have about 600 rounds through the two 365s we already have, in total. There have been no failure to anything using Win 124gr FMJ NATO, Win Ranger 147gr, Hornady 147gr, and Federal HST 124gr+P, and also Speer Lawman 124gr.

I have never shot a 320so there is nothing I can tell you about that model.

Picture of Delong31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
My 365 was made the last part of March. The only issue I thought I had was that a stock 10 round magazine would many times fail to lock the slide back when it was empty.

Sig swapped out my magazine without me having to return the gun so I thought all was well. The new magazine seemed to work OK.

Today at the range, the 10 round magazine never locked back the slide when it was empty even after 4 or 5 attempts. Also, the 12 round magazine gave me a classical stove pipe when it was half empty with my carry ammo (Federal non +P, 140 grn ammo).

Maybe the springs take a set after being loaded for several months such as mine were.

I will call Sig tomorrow and share my thoughts with them about the springs. If they do not agree or offer a good explanation, I think I will find this gun a new home and go back to my Glock 19 (the Glock can stay loaded 4 or 5 months and never experience a malfunction).

Any thoughts on this. I really hate to give up on my 365. It is very accurate and other than what I have described, functions great.

Trooper Joe

If you can't trust it, then you'd probably never carry it. What good is it doing you then? I can think of plenty of other guns for range use rather than a micro.

There's always the upcoming G43X that's rumored to match the 365's capacity.

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delong31:
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:

Trooper Joe

If you can't trust it, then you'd probably never carry it. What good is it doing you then? I can think of plenty of other guns for range use rather than a micro.

There's always the upcoming G43X that's rumored to match the 365's capacity.

And rumored to be a lot closer to the size of a G19 than a P365.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy, you weren’t kidding. What a swine of a pistol. Nothing like a P365.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
My P 365 is going on temporary suspension

This is why I still will not buy a P365, come on Sig either make them reliable, or quit making them.

I am starting to think Sigs new motto ought to be, "To Hell It Went". Mad

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post