SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bar sto barrels, anyone have them do the fitting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bar sto barrels, anyone have them do the fitting? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
lately I have been entertaining the though of putting a custom barrel in my BHP. It was originally worked on by Action Works and I have been very pleased with Don's work. I was lucky enough to be able to drop it off and meet Don, awesome fellow.

Anyway, I could certainly send it to him but I was wondering if companies like Barsto do a equal job to someone like Don? What's their turn around time and quality of work like.

This would be for a match fit barrel....the BHP is already quite accurate close to the P210 I owned...very close so I figure a semi fit barrel is waste of time..

To be honest a match fit barrel might be as well but I am getting the custom itch and the BHP is my favorite pistol....couldn't hurt it Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
lately I have been entertaining the though of putting a custom barrel in my BHP. It was originally worked on by Action Works and I have been very pleased with Don's work. I was lucky enough to be able to drop it off and meet Don, awesome fellow.

Anyway, I could certainly send it to him but I was wondering if companies like Barsto do a equal job to someone like Don? What's their turn around time and quality of work like.

This would be for a match fit barrel....the BHP is already quite accurate close to the P210 I owned...very close so I figure a semi fit barrel is waste of time..

To be honest a match fit barrel might be as well but I am getting the custom itch and the BHP is my favorite pistol....couldn't hurt it Wink

I’d send it to don given your accuracy requirements/wants. Don is the man when it comes to a BHP, plus you can have him give it a look over while its there and perhaps change springs etc. Many forum members have reported good results from barsto fitting their barrel as reported here over the years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I bought a Bar-Sto barrel to convert my Sig P239 from .40S&W to 9mm. My gunsmith did the fitting, but declared the Bar-Sto about 40% ready to install. He suggested a barrel from a different manufacturer (can't remember the name) that would be way easier to fit!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Just remembered.....Storm Lake

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would send it back to Don to have the work done. He has done two of my BHP, and I could not be more pleased with his work.

I own a number of Bar-Sto barrels, but I order the semi-dropin ones and fit them myself. Great barrels!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I had to have one of Barsto's semi-dropin barrels fit by them for my P229R. They did a great job.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Over a period of quite a few years, I have used some Barsto 1911 and Hi Power barrels, and had Barsto fit a couple of the 1911 barrels. They used to be considered the Gold standard for aftermarket barrels, but would no longer be my first choice. Were I set on using a Barsto, I would definitely get Don Williams to fit it. He has done some excellent work for me. Good guy, and great gunsmith as far as I'm concerned. Seems like gunsmith Bruce Gray posted about about some issue with Barsto barrels, back when he was using Barstos for his P220 10MM conversions. Can't remember the details now.

FWIW, years ago, I had a closely fitted Barsto barrel in a Hi Power I was using for a Gunsite class. The barrel was fine, and accuracy was excellent. No complaints there, but while everybody else was shooting the Bull, etc. at lunchtime very day, I was cleaning my Hi Power. Any tiny flake of jacket material, debris, etc. inside the slide would tie up the gun. The barrel fit very closely, as a match barrel should fit, but if I had it to do over, I'd leave the factory barrel in the gun. With the kind of shooting we did in the 250 class, a slightly more accurate, but more finicky, match barrel was of no advantage. I suspect any tightly fitted match barrel, not just Barsto, would have been more likely to malfunction due to the closer clearances.

BTW, Irv Stone III indicated in a tape he made, that a semi-fit barrel that requires some fitting is essentially a match fit barrel. I have used both, and could detect no accuracy advantage with one or the other at 25 yards. Perhaps use of a Ransom Rest could determine some advantage to the match fit barrel.....

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had them fit a semi on a G21. The g17 and 2x p320 dropped in from the factory. In my mind, the very best barrels out there.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar Sto makes an excellent barrel. If you shoot cast lead you may need to open up the chamber throat for reliable feeding. If you send Bar Sto a sample of your cast bullet they will open it up for you. If you send that sample to them at time of order there is no extra cost. If you send barrel back... there is a fee. I have had two opened up for my cast boolit loads.

Posts: 229 | Registered: December 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
I live 30 miles from Quantico. Some years back one of the Marine armorers who built the pistols used by the Marine Corps Pistol Team moonlighted as gunsmith at a local gun shop. I had him build me a copy using my Springfield Armory 1911 as base gun. He said he and the other builders used Bar-Sto barrels exclusively. Said other make barrels could be as accurate, but did not hold up as long to a steady diet of 230 gr. ball. I heard him order the barrel for my gun. The order was for a Marine Corps Cut Version, which I was told was even larger in the areas to be fitted than the gunsmith-fit version. While I have much more expensive and better looking 1911s, none is more accurate.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
I live 30 miles from Quantico. Some years back one of the Marine armorers who built the pistols used by the Marine Corps Pistol Team moonlighted as gunsmith at a local gun shop. I had him build me a copy using my Springfield Armory 1911 as base gun. He said he and the other builders used Bar-Sto barrels exclusively. Said other make barrels could be as accurate, but did not hold up as long to a steady diet of 230 gr. ball. I heard him order the barrel for my gun. The order was for a Marine Corps Cut Version, which I was told was even larger in the areas to be fitted than the gunsmith-fit version. While I have much more expensive and better looking 1911s, none is more accurate.
. I used Dave Sams to fit my Bar-sto on my 92f. He was a gunsmith for the Corp.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Over a period of quite a few years, I have used some Barsto 1911 and Hi Power barrels, and had Barsto fit a couple of the 1911 barrels. They used to be considered the Gold standard for aftermarket barrels, but would no longer be my first choice. Were I set on using a Barsto, I would definitely get Don Williams to fit it. He has done some excellent work for me. Good guy, and great gunsmith as far as I'm concerned. Seems like gunsmith Bruce Gray posted about about some issue with Barsto barrels, back when he was using Barstos for his P220 10MM conversions. Can't remember the details now.

FWIW, years ago, I had a closely fitted Barsto barrel in a Hi Power I was using for a Gunsite class. The barrel was fine, and accuracy was excellent. No complaints there, but while everybody else was shooting the Bull, etc. at lunchtime very day, I was cleaning my Hi Power. Any tiny flake of jacket material, debris, etc. inside the slide would tie up the gun. The barrel fit very closely, as a match barrel should fit, but if I had it to do over, I'd leave the factory barrel in the gun. With the kind of shooting we did in the 250 class, a slightly more accurate, but more finicky, match barrel was of no advantage. I suspect any tightly fitted match barrel, not just Barsto, would have been more likely to malfunction due to the closer clearances.

BTW, Irv Stone III indicated in a tape he made, that a semi-fit barrel that requires some fitting is essentially a match fit barrel. I have used both, and could detect no accuracy advantage with one or the other at 25 yards. Perhaps use of a Ransom Rest could determine some advantage to the match fit barrel.....

This was a concern of mine, might be the reason to go with a semi fitted.

How did the semi-fitted compare with the stock barrel.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I had Irv Stone install one of his barrels on my P226 duty weapon back in the 1980's and it's still there. Never had a problem with it, though when I sent the pistol back to Sig for an unrelated issue they told me the frame had cracked.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've had a number of after-market barrels. Currently I have:
--Olympic Arms in a Browning Hi-Power MKIII
--Bar-Sto 45ACP and Accu-Match .400 Cor-Bon barrels in a Colt Government MKIV
--Storm Lake .400 Cor-Bon in a Charles Daly 1911

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar-Sto makes portions of the barrel larger than OEM, so the barrels can be fitted to partially worn guns. I would trust their work, as they must have done thousands of barrel fittings by now.

I have several of their barrels, fitted by Bar-Sto. All have been excllent.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
dewhorse, The semi-fit barrels did improve accuracy over the factory barrel. That being said, the FN factory barrels are excellent in my book, i.e., well fitted, little-to-no end play, tightly controlled headspace compared to most other manufacturers, very consistent diameter at muzzle, etc. As with most any barrel change I've done with 1911 and Hi Power pistols, the POI changes due to how an individual barrel sets up in a particular pistol. This is not meant as a negative, it is to be expected. The BIG difference I experienced with the Barstos, was back when I was using cast bullets in 9MMs. The FN factory barrel with NATO type chamber, leade, and 1-in-10 twist, was not conducive to good accuracy in my Hi Powers. The Barsto barrels with their different chamber, leade and twist produced very good cast bullet accuracy at 25 yards. Others reported they were able to achieve good cast bullet accuracy with the FN factory barrels, but I tried all kinds of weights, diameters, profiles, and powder charges and never achieved good accuracy, with bullets routinely key holing, etc. Good accuracy for me is 5 rounds in 2" or less at 25 yards. I realize many other shooters can do better, but I rarely can.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I'd just send it to Don. You know what you can expect from him. I'd give him a call first and see if you really need the match fit. IIRC, when I was ordering my .30 Luger barrel he advised that semi-fit was all that was needed.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Glock 34s with Barsto Barrels.
The first one was a semi-drop-in. I was able to get it in but the fit was very tight. After a few hundred rounds, it was perfect.
I purchased another barrel from Barsto that needed to be fitted. I took it to a local gunsmith in the Memphis area. They did a horrible job. When I got the gun back, it was as loose as the factory barrel. Lesson learned.
Make sure you send it to someone who really knows what they are doing. It's worth doing right the first time.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 40-9 conversion barrel from BarSto for my BHP.

I bought the semi-drop in, but had to do some filing as the barrel had the 'notch/stub' on the tip of the barrel hood- and my slide didn't have the hole for it to go into.

Dressed it down flat and no worries!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post