SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How is the 239 Chambered in . 40?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is the 239 Chambered in . 40? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Currently have two 9mm’s and like them. I bought a .357 last year and did not think to check it for loose slide to frame fit. Prolly doesn’t affect accuracy but it still bothered me. Suggest you check it if things like that may be bothersome. A wee bit off-topic, but I’m about to pick up a second P938 - they’re pocketable and much lighter albeit in 9-mil. The 938 (or 238) are with me when the P239’s are left home due to size and weight.

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Magazines are available.

My only complaint would be magazine availability. If I may ask, where are you finding available .40 mags? Or more precisely, retail that's reasonable.

I guess it depends on your definition of reasonable but I think this isn't bad (if you don't want to do Ebay).

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/si...-round-magazine.html

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 239/.40 has Hogue grips. Not only is it accurate, but it is great to shoot; comfortable to the point of 500 rnds at a range session and still my hand can handle more.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
that darned little gun is way better than many people think. I wore mine on a vest holster for years. It shoots, as others have said, like a laser.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 239/9mm and a 239/40. I like both very much, but the .40 somehow makes it to the range more. The 239 and .40 caliber seem to be well matched. I have noticed that I seem to shoot the .40 faster than the 9. I think that it is because the .40 seems to quickly come back onto the target after each shot. All of the P-series Sig's (239, 229, 226)that I have shot in .40 have been a pleasure to shoot.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tusk:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Magazines are available.

My only complaint would be magazine availability. If I may ask, where are you finding available .40 mags? Or more precisely, retail that's reasonable.

Good research, this is a good price, better deal than Ebay
I guess it depends on your definition of reasonable but I think this isn't bad (if you don't want to do Ebay).

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/si...-round-magazine.html

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried one for a while as an LEO. It was one of my 2 favorite .40S&W handguns. The other was a BHP.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Liked the 40 but then got a 357 Sig barrel and then truly loved that 239.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a 239 for about 20 years and it's a great pistol. I bought it as a 357Sig at the time and got the 40 S&W barrel for it from Sig. Then a few years later I got a 9mm barrel for it, either from Sig or Bar-Sto, can't remember.

I have magazines in 357/40 and 9mm. It handles the 40S&W just fine, but I usually have mine in 357Sig.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my P239-40 enough that I picked up a spare. While they do rattle the accuracy is good enough to shoot a 10 round dead president at 50 feet.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Had mine redone in NP3. Super accurate gun. Bought it from another SIGforumite about 13 years ago.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Nah. You dont need it.

Where did you say you saw it, again?

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tusk:
Even better prices on magazines.

.40 S&W
https://www.midwestgunworks.co...wi/prod/MAG-239-40-7

.357 Sig
https://www.midwestgunworks.co...i/prod/MAG-239-357-7

Thanks, got the last .40

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce Gray told me that the .40 beats up the P239 slides. Or perhaps it was the rail-rail fit that gets beat up. He did not mention that there was a problem with the P239 in .357 Sig, so that version may be okay.

My perception is that .40 recoil affects my wrist much more than .357 Sig.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a timely discussion. My LGS has a used one in 40 for less than $500. Are the 357 mags actually physically different? I have multiple 229 in 40 with 357 barrels but I can use the same mags. if I buy a 229 and I can source a barrel, I don’t want to have to get multiple mags. That’s the beauty of 357 is same mags as 40.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
What a timely discussion. My LGS has a used one in 40 for less than $500. Are the 357 mags actually physically different? I have multiple 229 in 40 with 357 barrels but I can use the same mags. if I buy a 229 and I can source a barrel, I don’t want to have to get multiple mags. That’s the beauty of 357 is same mags as 40.

Sig made a dedicated mag for the p239 .357 Sig but I’ve never heard a reason why. The consensus seems to be you can run .40 and .357 through the .40 mags but the .357 mags just shoot .357.

(Edited to clarify this. The heavier indentations in the .357 Sig go in deep enough to act as a shoulder inside the magazine. This prevents the cartridge from driving forward under recoil, impacting the front of the magazine and forcing the bullet back into the case (called setback). Setback has the potential to greatly increase the pressure when the round is fired, which is a bad thing. Why Sig felt the need to do this with the P239 but not any of their other pistols is the thing I’ve never heard a reason for. If I was running the gun hard for duty use or reloading the cartridge and wasn’t confident on the case neck tension, I’d run the dedicated .357 Sig magazine.)

You can see the difference here, in the indented lines running vertically down the front of the mags.

.357 Sig

.40 S&W

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tusk,

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have read that the reason Sig made a dedicated magazine for the 357 was because the cartridges had a tendency to shift forward during recoil, similar to the way they did in the P220 magazines before they put the dimple in. I used to own a P239 with both barrels and I always used the correct mag so I never got to test this out. Maybe it is a thing that only really ocurrs with single stack magazines.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It's a superb handgun that came out at an unfortunate time. It's all metal, heavier than polymer, only holds 7 rounds in the magazine, and is significantly larger than the new generation of ultra compact handguns that hold more rounds.

What it is is a easy to carry, easy to conceal, absolutely reliable tank of a gun that fires a serious caliber accurately and comfortably. The only thing I don't like about them is the front of the grip is oddly square feeling. The Hogue G10 grips magically fix the way the grip feels to my hand at least.

I've got a bunch of rounds through mine (it's my plain clothes duty weapon) and have had zero issues. 239 slides occasionally rattle like castanets, but it doesn't seem to affect either function or accuracy. This one started tight and remains so most of a decade later.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post