SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How is the 239 Chambered in . 40?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is the 239 Chambered in . 40? Login/Join 
posted
Is it ok to shoot or is it one of those, "only shoot it if I have to" guns?

I got rid of a compact polymer .40 as it was just no fun to shoot due to the recoil. Wondering if the metal frame of the 239 tames it at all.

My 229 in. 40 is a dream to shoot.

There's one for sale here locally in great shape for 475. Sounds like a good deal, but wondering how it is to shoot.

Thanks

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The P239 is a joy to shoot in .40.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The P239 in 40 is not bad at all. More recoil than a 9mm for sure, but not punishing. And you can convert a 40 to 9mm with a factory barrel.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is exceptionally soft shooting, given the cartridge. Great accuracy too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a P239 in .40 for several years. Presently I have it and another in .357 Sig.

The P239 is an excellent pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had mine since 2005. No issue whatsoever with the ,40 recoil or control.

For whatever reason, the .40 is handled better by some pistols. The P239, P226 and P229 all handle the rounds' supposedly snappy/ugly characteristis very well. I own all three in .40 and like the cartridge very much in those pistols.

A few years ago I was shooting some steel at 15 yards with my relatively new P320FS .40. Very good hits and transitions. When I was through, I decided to shoot the P239 .40 I was carrying. Used the same reloads I was using in the P320. Was surprised to see that there was no difference in performance between the two very different guns. Serendipity.

I'd grab it. However, be aware that it's discontinued. Finding parts and mags will be a chore.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have both 9mm and .40 p239s. I prefer the .40.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4132 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad's P239/40 was my first introduction to Sig.
He bought it new in around 1996 (according to the grip panel date codes) and still has it.

Even as a relatively inexperienced young (12-14 yr old) shooter, I never had any problems shooting it accurately.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 239 in 40 is one of my "keeper" guns. Mine is a 2005 GOTM in Rainbow Ti. The slide internals are polished and plated as well, making it exquisite to shoot. It is also the pistol I shoot most accurately. I didn't enjoy the plain jane 9mm's as much, so I sold them.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
What is often cited as a negative for the 239, it's weight compared with polymer guns, makes it easier to handle with the .40 cartridge. I have a 239 in .40 that had Grayguns' "action perfection" work, and I love shooting it. My only complaint-- and this has nothing at all to do with the cartridge-- is that it is DAK, and though the trigger is butter smooth with a crisp break, I can't shoot it nearly as fast as DA/SA.

Overall, though, the 239 pairs very well with the .40.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
What is often cited as a negative for the 239, it's weight compared with polymer guns, makes it easier to handle with the .40 cartridge......

Besides that, it depends on how you carry. With IWB, I've carried P229, P226 and GM 1911's for extended periods. With a good IWB (Sparks VM-2) you don't notice the weight. Regarding weight, I can't tell the difference when I carry a P239 versus my G19.

For those gaga over the lightest possible guns, try a S&W scandium J-frame with full-house .357 Mag. I shot one of those once. After two rounds from the 12 ounce little wonder, I said thank you. A gun writer friend had one out to the range on T&E. I could have fired all the free ammo I wanted to. I let the younger Macho Men do the testing instead. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
You will be amazed how well it shoots.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
In .40s&w, it's not unpleasant. Step it up with a .357sig barrel and you become a rock star at the range. Flames, flash, smoke and awe. It makes the platform very versatile.

And everyone wants to know what you're shooting.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P239 in .40 was the second Sig that I owned.
(My first was a brand new P228 bought in 2002)

I bought it along with a dining room table set for about $300 or so. I worked with the guy at the Sheriffs Office, and he then decided to head overseas into the world of Private Contracting.

I have both the 9mm and the .40 and I grab the .40 every time. In my opinion it is the best shooting pistol I own, and that is saying alot since my favorite go to pistols are my P229s.

It is amazing how well it handles and shoots.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you want a long list of supporters, but I'll add mine to the list. I've shot tens of thousands of .40 rounds out of a 239 and its a complete non event. The gun is accurate and easily managed. That I would not say is true for example as a comparison with a Glock 27 which is an annoyance to shoot.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is built up in the slide for the 40SW. It weighs 29oz with empty magazine. Before 2000, I purchased an all USA made 239 in 40 and was immediately impressed by the quality that seemed to be equal to my German Sigs. It shoots very well and subsequent cleaning confirms that's the Exeter factory was crafting a quality firearm for professional use.I always thought this model in 40 would serve the same role as a lightweight Colt Commander. Yes, it is easy to shoot well.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It's my EDC but for one reason. I got Hogue rubber grips for it. The factory grips would subtly move in my grip w/ each shot. New grips totally changed this and revealed just how accurate a short .40 can be. I can shoot it all day.
I did get a 9mm Bar-sto barrel fitted and w/ just a barrel change, the 9mm worked w/ the .40 mags and recoil spring. I didn't find recoil to be markedly different. Not to my expectations anyway.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Magazines are available.

My only complaint would be magazine availability. If I may ask, where are you finding available .40 mags? Or more precisely, retail that's reasonable.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just google and they are on eBay. Seem to be reasonably priced but agree with you supply will not be there forever.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Just google and they are on eBay. Seem to be reasonably priced but agree with you supply will not be there forever.

I don't do much ebay but I have to agree, some of those are not too bad.