SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther Creed... Tell me about it, please!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Creed... Tell me about it, please! Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I'm seeing some amazing prices being advertised on the Walther Creed pistol. What gives? Is it a piece of crap? Is it a genuine German-made Walther pistol, or is it made under contract by somebody else which is the cause of the low price?

CDNN is advertising them for $269.99, which makes it a very tempting option for a "car or truck gun", or something that you're not too worried about getting scratched up, etc.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! I trust what you guys say here and don't want to rely on the YouTube and internet commandos for my reviews. Thanks again!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Viewing it and in the hand, it reminds me of a light weight High Point pistol. Albeit with a better trigger.

I have only shot one mag through an example an aquaintance brought to the range. It was accurate and he says it has been 100% reliable. He likes it.

I found myself preferring the PPQ. The PPQ points better, has a better trigger and feels better in the hand, for me.

But for the price you mentioned, it is a lot of gun. Good luck! Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
OP, I think the big deal on the price is that it's sorta Walther's version of SIG's P250. I'd be curious to know if the trigger pull and reset are longer than that of the P250, myself.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I owned a P250 in the past and hated the trigger, so quickly sold it! Being a true DAO, it was pretty heavy (in the 10+ lb. range) with lots of stacking! The CREED is a “pre-cocked” hammer-fired with a ~5-pound pull and some stacking, much lighter than a true DAO, but of course without “re-strike” capability, which most self-defense instructors would teach against anyway, much preferring tap-rack-bang instead, so it should be a non-issue.

Yeah, it cuts corners over the PPQ M2, which is its nearest brother up the scale, but it is also quite a bit less expensive, which is the point.... an economy version for those who cannot afford, or don’t want to pay the higher price of the more “refined” models. Perfect for the role of “truck gun”, something you can just have onhand to toss about every day and not worry about wear and scratches reducing its resale value like I do my P228! Wink

Oh, and I answered my own questions about it being an actual Walther product (it is), and it’s made in Germany, not the USA (as of the most recent images of complete guns I could find from a year ago)! Both very positive in my opinion...

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, the one Hickock45 tested ran like a Swiss watch. I love Walther pistols and own more than a few, but I would not be interested in their budget pistol. I would say, though, that anyone on a budget who needs a good yet inexpensive high-capacity pistol should take a look at H45's video. Sixteen round magazines and it's not a HighPoint, so...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Didn't know he did a video on it; will go watch it now... Thanks!

So far, everything else I've read on the internet has been VERY positive in my opinion, overlooking the writers' personal preferences that is.... and yes, despite many comments from internet commandos, I do NOT see the similarity between the CREED and ANY HiPoint that I personally have ever seen!!! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I'm seeing some amazing prices being advertised on the Walther Creed pistol. What gives? Is it a piece of crap? Is it a genuine German-made Walther pistol, or is it made under contract by somebody else which is the cause of the low price?

CDNN is advertising them for $269.99, which makes it a very tempting option for a "car or truck gun", or something that you're not too worried about getting scratched up, etc.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! I trust what you guys say here and don't want to rely on the YouTube and internet commandos for my reviews. Thanks again!

I bought one at a great price and have fired a few hundred rounds from it trouble free. From what I understand, it was an economy version of an economy gun.--the PPX.

I can say that the PPX slide and barrel--including the factory threaded barrel fit on my Creed and function perfectly. There is no difference in trigger press or function between the two.

It does have that huge honker grip but feels really great with the Talon add on. The Creed mags and the PPX mags interchange for me and seem to be the exact same mags but with different floor plate markings.

Can't go wrong with the price and the triggers are consistent and make it easy to hit with.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I like 'em. Very sweet 'DAO'ish trigger. Easy shooter. It's kinda homely in a P89 spiritual kind of way, though I admit it has the top-heavy physical resemblance to the High Point. Its size kind of reminds me of the Ruger as well. A bit of a slow seller for us but overall it's gun with few if any vices. On looks alone I like it a lot better than the even uglier PPX; at least the Creed bears some resemblance to the PPQ. At CDNN's price it's well worth it, IMHO.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Finally got to watch Hickock45's video on it... and wow, he was so happy and enthusiastic he almost sounded like a Walther salesman (yes, I know he isn't)! LOL

Most impressive to watch him shoot the thing, especially hitting plates, silhouettes and gongs at longer distances while standing, unsupported! The only negative thing he really had to say about it was the grip "stippling" (if you want to call it that) was practically useless, and he would add some grip tape to it if it were his. That is a subjective item and something I'll have to check out myself by handling one at my LGS, so will reserve judgement on. In all other respects, it definitely gets the nod for an inexpensive, reliable "truck gun", especially at the prices I see them being advertised for right now!

I can't afford to buy one at the moment as I'm waiting on my retirement funding to come through, which is 8 to 12 weeks away, but then I just might have to grab one if the prices are still low. Big Grin

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Those folks in Abilene have certainly kept the price down for a while.

Damn. Now you've got me thinking.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I need to stop by my favorite LGS for a different reason here shortly, and they are ALWAYS very competitive with mailorder pricing, so I'll see if they have a CREED in stock and what they're getting for them. I suspect it'll be very close in price, but will report back later this afternoon/evening when I get a chance.

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Those folks in Abilene have certainly kept the price down for a while.

Damn. Now you've got me thinking.

It does make you think, doesn't it? Great pistol to knock about with and save cosmetic wear on the expensive SIGs...