SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    One More For The Makarov Fans - Behold The Vietnamese SN9S!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One More For The Makarov Fans - Behold The Vietnamese SN9S! Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
No.5'ish carbine in 7.62 Warsaw, or NATO.

I'll take one too, please.

There are .308 rifle like the Ruger Scout that seem to check most of the same boxes as a No. 5 (compact, handy, higher capacity mag, peep sights, etc.), but they still lack that ultra-smooth and lightning-fast Lee-Enfield action, as well as the No. 5's overall "sexiness".

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I got a really sweet FR-8 last year, in theory, it's an almost perfect rifle. It's no No.5.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
In principle I'd love a Jungle 7.62x39, but you'd lose the sweetness of the action if it wasn't shortened to fit the cartridge - which AFA apparently didn't do and I wouldn't expect the Vietnamese to do either.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
I got a really sweet FR-8 last year, in theory, it's an almost perfect rifle. It's no No.5.

Yeah. The FR-8 is one of those rifles that seems great on paper, but is rather disappointing in use.

If you want a .308 Mauser, you're better off finding a nice Israeli K98k.

(Better, but still no No. 5. Wink )

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Does anyone ever shoot the FR-8 with the CETME round they were meant for?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The FR-8, being built off a stronger Mauser 98 action, has no trouble handing .308/7.62.

The FR-7, built on the weaker Mauser 93 action, is iffy with stouter .308/7.62 loads.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Understood, but my shoulder would vastly prefer the CETME round in a short bolt action rifle and the CETME round would feed better in an unaltered action than the 7.62x39 while giving comparable performance.