SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Sauer P220 with Browning Serial #
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Sauer P220 with Browning Serial # Login/Join 
posted
What is the story behind these? Were they all 7.65 Para and how many were made?

Posts: 88 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but I've got a Browning BDA in 38 Super that has a SIG-Sauer serial number on the slide, frame and barrel.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one coming that has a 9mm Para Barrel and includes the original case, 7.65 mm Para conversion barrel, recoil spring and magazine, and papers. I verified the 7.65 barrel matches. Don't know about the 9mm barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dobk,

Posts: 88 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Does it have the CAT number engraved on the front strap? My 7.65 P220 was intended for the Italian market, as it has the CAT number engraved.

posted Hide Post
I believe that it does. You can just see 4 light colored digits on the lower front grip frame in the top photo.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, the thing is, not only does that serial number not belong on that pistol, that serial number does not belong on that pistol.

Allow me to explain.

Browning's serial numbering scheme in those days told you a lot about their guns. BDAs were offered in three calibers 45 ACP, 9x19mm and 38 Super. Each of these three calibers had their own serial number prefix; 345 for 9mm, 375 for 38 Super, and 395 for 45 ACP.

Your slide shows a serial number beginning with 395RP, which should be a 45 ACP BDA made in 1978.

So, not only does that serial number not belong on that pistol because it's not a SIG serial number, it really doesn't belong because it's a serial number for a different caliber.

And no, it's not a 45 ACP slide at all.

Do you happen to know the proof date on this pistol? The serial number suggests 1978, but as I've stated, the serial number is extra super wrong.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

If you follow the link below, I have several pics of my .45cal Browning Double Action (BDA) pistol ~ but here are a couple pics of the slide.

I have got to get away from Photobucket, their operations is horrible now Confused

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, the thing is, not only does that serial number not belong on that pistol, that serial number does not belong on that pistol.

Allow me to explain.

Browning's serial numbering scheme in those days told you a lot about their guns. BDAs were offered in three calibers 45 ACP, 9x19mm and 38 Super. Each of these three calibers had their own serial number prefix; 345 for 9mm, 375 for 38 Super, and 395 for 45 ACP.

Your slide shows a serial number beginning with 395RP, which should be a 45 ACP BDA made in 1978.

So, not only does that serial number not belong on that pistol because it's not a SIG serial number, it really doesn't belong because it's a serial number for a different caliber.

And no, it's not a 45 ACP slide at all.

Do you happen to know the proof date on this pistol? The serial number suggests 1978, but as I've stated, the serial number is extra super wrong.

There seems to be a small run of these P220 in 7.65 with Browning serial numbers. Here are 2 othes I've found...

396RP7396 JA 7.65 = Thanks to Dusty Dave (in Serial Number List)
395RP7377 JA 7.65mm Para (posted by Ken* on 8/28/14 in Serial Number List thread)

395RP7381 falls in between them. I wonder if the 396 prefix on the first is a typo. My theory is that after the importation by Browning ended there were some frames with BDA .45 serials left over and they were completed by Sig Sauer as P220 with new slides and barrels matched to those frames.

Further theorizing (and I'm really going out on a limb here) is that Sig Sauer did not have reason to adhere to Brownings serial number coding and made them up in whatever caliber needed at the time, 7.65 Para to satisfy demand from Italy.

I do not know the date code yet. I hope to have the pistol in hand next week.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know, but I've got a Browning BDA in 38 Super that has a SIG-Sauer serial number on the slide, frame and barrel.

Wow! What a conundrum. Do you know it's story?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dobk:
quote:
Wow! What a conundrum. Do you know it's story?
Just a guess, but perhaps it was a BDA intended for the European market. That is to say, a pistol which was never imported into the US.
As you suggest, perhaps they had some parts left in inventory.

The pistol came with the old blue piano lid cardboard box, with all the foam missing.