SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 29 vs Ruger 3" GP100 for 10mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 29 vs Ruger 3" GP100 for 10mm Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Really trying to decide between the two. Basically looking at it as a do everything handgun from part time truck gun, woods gun, carry rotation, etc. Wanting a compact powerful package. I do have full sized revolvers in .44 Magnum as a more dedicated woods gun (at least I will after flying down to Phoenix and back to Anchorage next month). This is just one of those things to have as a just in case.

So what safety the all knowing oracle of knowledge that is SigForum?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Glock 29, it’s easy to limp wrist so I sold it for a G20 and I’m much happier. And the g20 isn’t much bigger btw, and I can conceal it just fine. It’s my woods/dirt biking gun.
The g29 is the same size as a g19 only your pinky hangs off. It’s also a pain in the ass to find after market parts/accessories for if it’s a gen 4 like mine was.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd second limblessbiff; I have the G29, and it shoots fine, but a G20 is a better platform.

The GP100 is an outstanding handgun in .357. I wouldn't have much use for the 10mm version; if 10mm is your goal, I'd stay with the Glock. For backwoods use, if you're sold on 10mm, the G40 is a good choice.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot the 29 with full power ammo while I was researching 10mm guns. I felt the caliber was too much for the gun size. It was better with standard factory ammo but I felt that to reduce the power defeated the purpose of 10mm. I went with the G20 and have no regrets. Plink with cheaper low power ammo and carry Underwood.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Glock 29 is excellent and have zero problems with using it. Function is 100% effective. Can be worn with chest center rig in the woods with a backpack, shoulder holster (two magazines on opposite side) under a jacket concealed or OWB. Have an IWB but need to wear baggy pants which at my age is a "normal" geezer" look.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Do you have anything else in 10mm?
I considered a G29 for years. In the mean time I collected a couple G20 pistols, a G40, and two 1911 pistols in 10mm.
Honestly, I can’t see shooting “real” 10mm out of the G29. Just too small of a package, IMO, to take advantage of the 10mm or be comfortable to shoot. Maybe some control issues also. I don’t know this as I’ve never shot one. I am basing that statement off of shooting a variety of 10mm from bigger, heavier guns.

Now, the Ruger gets a nod on style alone....I’ve often toyed with the idea of a 10mm revolver. It’s just a cool concept to me.
But for purely practical reasons, I give you this: my 4” SS GP100 (357mag) loaded with 6 rounds of 158gr 357 magnum, weighs almost exactly as much (within an ounce, IIRC) as one of my G20 Glocks loaded with 16 rounds of 180gr 10mm.
I have no idea how the weights correlate to the two guns you are considering, but I bet it’s a similar difference.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm. I've also got a 3" Smith 66 roundbutt. There's something about the 3" k-frame that just seems right as far as balance and ease of carry.

I'm kind of looking at the Ruger as a more durable heavier duty version of my Smith. I'm also looking at the ability of the 10mm to shoot a heavier bullet than .357. Plus the idea of quick loading unloading with moonslips like my 625 is appealing.

My 66 is also an oddball Smith. First it's a 3", second it was made in 2001 just before locks started showing up, third that run of 3" 66's had the fiber optic front sight, mine has the standard orange front white outline rear with the factory label on the box having the FO sight option whited out and corrections made in blue ball point pen over the whiteout. So while I carry it occasionally, I don't want to leave it in the truck even with a console vault.

With the Glock 29, it's significantly cheaper than the Ruger. If it's get's dropped scratched, whatever, I'm not going to care, it's a Glock. It's also easily replaceable if stolen which the Ruger isn't.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Glock fan, but would probably chose the Ruger for an all around woods gun that I might carry out in the rain and snow.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For higher capacity and a WML, get a g20 and be happy.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

With the Glock 29, it's significantly cheaper than the Ruger. If it's get's dropped scratched, whatever, I'm not going to care, it's a Glock. It's also easily replaceable if stolen which the Ruger isn't.

I have a G29 and a G30. I have carried both; same size, same frame. To me the G29 didn't make my choice for carry; I think that round is better suited for a bit more grip, a bit more barrel. The G30 isn't my favorite but it works. The G20 is a perfect size.

The G29 and G30 have a gap in the magazine and frame that doesn't work like other Glocks; it tends to pinch, more so under heavier recoil. I use pearce baseplates instead of the factor or flush, and that gap between the baseplate and the bottom of the frame is something quite a few shooters complain about. There are different work-arounds, o-rings, etc, but there's a world of difference between shooting the full grip on a G20 or G40, and the G29.

The shorter the barrel, of course, the more one loses, and there's not a huge difference in barrel length from the G29 to the G20, but every bit helps. I have the G29, but don't shoot it much at all. I'm a big fan of the G21; I love the frame size and it's feel and the way it shoots; same for the G20. Great balance, great all around utility pistol. The G40 is fun. Maybe a bit too big for what you want, and it does cost a bit more, but a lot of fun.

Get the G29 if it fits your mission. If it were me, I'd grab the G20 over the 29. Shoot both, see what you think.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Both! Err.. I mean't to say...

Another vote for the Glock 20. The extended grip adapters for the G29 to use a G20 magazine didn't work out as well as I would have hoped with my paws.

Plus this would be a good way to sneak in that G40 MOS upper when your budget allows. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you aren't set on 10MM, but like revolvers, there is a Smith 629 Stainless Round Butt with 3" barrel.

I have the 4" and love shooting it, but it would be more concealable and lighter with the 3".

Personally, If I was going to go 10MM, I'd buy a Glock auto, probably the 20. If I was willing to pack the size and weight of a revolver, I'd stick with the .44. For what it's worth, my 629 carries in exactly the same Simply Rugged holster as my GP100, and I don't notice a weight difference.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I shot the 29 with full power ammo while I was researching 10mm guns. I felt the caliber was too much for the gun size. It was better with standard factory ammo but I felt that to reduce the power defeated the purpose of 10mm. I went with the G20 and have no regrets. Plink with cheaper low power ammo and carry Underwood.

THIS^

Years ago a friend was trying to get out of his 29 for $400. He let me shoot it first. Thank Heavens I did.

The. Most. Miserable. Shooting experience I have ever had.

And I own (and shoot) several big bore revolvers including Freedom Arms .454, .50AE, Ruger .480 and a Custom Linebaugh .475.

NONE compare to the pure misery of the plastic mini 10mm.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
For higher capacity and a WML, get a g20 and be happy.

The G29 has a rail for a WML.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ No shit? You forgot to mention you can run a 15 round mag in it too.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I really like my G29 Gen4.

From what I’ve seen, you lose roughly 60 ft/sec in the G29 vs the G20.

Some other chronograph detail can be found here (second post).

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When using the G20 with full boat ammo such as Underwood, is it necessary to change to a heavier recoil spring?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
^^^ No shit? You forgot to mention you can run a 15 round mag in it too.

For some reason I thought this thread was about G29 Vs G20 instead of G29 vs GP100.

Frown

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If going 10mm, I'd say get the Glock. The real beauty of the 10mm is the power factor that it brings to a semi-auto. If you're gonna carry a revolver and you're looking for power, there are better, more potent revolver calibers out there.

Now, if you're heavily invested in 10mm already and want to be able to shoot it out of a revolver, the GP100 makes sense. But it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are those who advocate a heavier spring for full 10mm loads in the G20. If I shot full power loads constantly, I might go that route. but I use up the magazine I keep loaded with Underwood about 3X per year. So 45 rounds a year. At that rate, I don't think the use of full power ammo will have any long term effects on the gun. The stock spring works fine for me. And I change the stock spring about every 5K. So they last me a while.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post