SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Taurus 6 shot snub nose .38 revolvers CHEAP right now $187
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taurus 6 shot snub nose .38 revolvers CHEAP right now $187 Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Taurus 856 pistols, which is their model 85, but with a 6 shot cylinder, are on rebate right now. $25 rebate for black pistols, $30 rebate for stainless pistols.

You can get a stainless frame (22 ounces) or black carbon steel frame (22 ounces) or aluminum frame ultra lite (15.7 ounces), with hammer, or with concealed bobbed hammer.

I thought, what the heck, a fishing tackle box gun for $185? I bought one last week, arrived today at my local $15 FFL dealer.

I bought the black ultra lite model with the concealed hammer. Initial impressions, are its a lot of gun for under $200. The new rubber grip is also fantastic, and dare I say, best in the industry, which is pretty amazing for a free grip on a budget gun.

I bought mine from gunprodeals.com which seemed to have the best price I could find online (no affiliation). Order to delivery was exactly one week.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/856/

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/856ch/

https://www.gunprodeals.com/pr...arch_text=taurus+856

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and get something from a more reputable manufacturer. Like a S&W, Beretta, or Ruger. All of which have offerings available for $200 or not much more.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
a fishing tackle box gun

Meh to that concept.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Taurus revolvers are ok. Most are S&W copies, made under license years ago, on the same equipment, and Taurus used to have warranty service that was exceptional (unlike S&W). Considering where S&W is now, I wouldn't say Taurus is better, but certainly on par.

Autos, not so much, but these revolvers should be just fine. For the price, hard to beat.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Which of these have a current production 6-shot small frame snubbie revolver?

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Personally, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and get something from a more reputable manufacturer. Like a S&W, Beretta, or Ruger. All of which have offerings available for $200 or not much more.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard Taurus recently reinstated their lifetime warranty for the original owner?

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Not revolvers, but subcompact autos like the Shield, Nano, or LCP/LC9.

Similar size. Similar capacity. Similar cheap price. And not a Taurus.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bubbatime, I’ll be needing one of those snubbies for snakes and other varmints.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Had a 605 years ago and it was ok, then I bought one of their 9 shot 22lr revolvers...it worked but the trigger was so heavy it sucked to shoot. I took it in to a local gunsmith to see if he could improve it and his comment the internals were basically pot metal...nothing he could do.

For under $200 I might buy one

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Taurus' quality control has been an embarrassment the last decade. Myself and many other instructors I know have seen it first hand in classes. There was a time I recommended them to people. For $200 (with the $50 rebate), you can get a Shield from PSA. There are a lot of used revolvers out there close to that price.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
Taurus' quality control has been an embarrassment the last decade. Myself and many other instructors I know have seen it first hand in classes. There was a time I recommended them to people. For $200 (with the $50 rebate), you can get a Shield from PSA. There are a lot of used revolvers out there close to that price.

My only experience with a Taurus revolver was a S/S 686 copy with a 6" barrel. The gun was clean, 2 rounds would stick in the chambers so hard with several types of brass ammunition, you'd practically have to beat on the ejector rod to get them out. Also one chamber would spit lead.

I'll pass and for $200 would much rather have a S+W sigma in .40 for a tackle box gun, or ANYTHING from a reputable manufacturer for a tackle box gun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Actually I agree that small autos make more sense in this size class. But the OP was talking revolvers.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Not revolvers, but subcompact autos like the Shield, Nano, or LCP/LC9.

Similar size. Similar capacity. Similar cheap price. And not a Taurus.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I already have numerous small autos, numerous 5 shot revolvers. I wanted a budget 6 shot j frame size revolver and this fits the bill.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I have a Taurus 85CH that is a terrific little gun. Got a Wolff spring kit for it a few years back and the trigger is smoother and lighter. I've no qualms about carrying it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I handled one of these at a gun show recently. I wouldn't have a problem guying one, especially at the prices discussed. I'd probably have to approach 1000 problem free rounds through it before I'd consider it defensive use worthy.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I already have numerous small autos, numerous 5 shot revolvers. I wanted a budget 6 shot j frame size revolver and this fits the bill.

posted Hide Post
I picked up an 856 (black) at a LGS from the used case maybe 6 months ago. At the time I paid $225 OTD. It still had the box and warranty card. They said they sold it new to a fellow that bought it for his wife, and she thought it had too much recoil. Looked like it was fired 3 times.

Well, I guess if you started off on a .38, anyone else might think that too. Hubby might have loaded it with +P's. I bought mine to load with shotshells for taking Hoodo out to poo-poo and wee-diddle. The wife swore she saw a copperhead out by the woodshed in the Spring, and Hoodo is a young and nosey little toy poodle.

The gun looks great for the money to me. The only other 6 shooters I have are stainless S&W .357's or a 4" model 15. If I'm working outside I often carry a 44 special with shotshells, but that's too much for the wife to shoot.

The 856 will fit in my jammies pocket (although I do have to cinch up the string). Other that wishing it was a lightweight, for that very reason, I think it's a good little gun for the price.

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 02, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new Taurus revolver. Sounds like a lot of bang for the buck!!! I currently own three(3) Taurus revolvers, and have owned them for many years. They are all snubby big bore guns, and they go to the range on a regular basis. I have no plans to ever sell these revolvers, and CCWed one of them for quite a while.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I had a Taurus 85 for a while.
It was an accurate and reliable little handgun. I'd still own it but a friend of mine fell in love with it and just had to have it.
I've just never bothered to replace it.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 85UL that I replaced the springs and it shoots great. I have no qualms in CCW’ing the thing.

I have a S&W 60 in 38 spl that is stainless and it’s also a great little revolver.

If I didn’t already have two small revolvers, I’d get one of the Taurus’ for the price

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post