SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Can anyone explain why...p320 triggers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone explain why...p320 triggers Login/Join 
posted
So I have a few p320s, all upgraded by sig. I hadn’t paid much attention to this before they came back from the upgrade, but one of them (which had a GGI competition trigger job before it was upgraded) has a significantly better trigger than the rest. Not lighter, but crisper, with a more glass-like break instead of the average dull-ish 320 break. Not saying the average post-upgrade trigger is bad, it’s better than most, but this one trigger is incredible.
I’ve narrowed it down to being slide related. The slide on the far left somehow causes the improvement in trigger feel. You can see it has two deep cuts on either side of the striker channel and all the slide internals. How could that make the trigger so much better?
Thanks in advance!

https://drive.google.com/open?...wIHNb2xdNmnaCeNHb8Bq

Posts: 124 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, we can't see your pictures.

I don't see how any slide cuts could affect the trigger feel. The differences are likely due to how smooth the surfaces are that interface. If you're talking just the trigger break, it's probably just the sear/striker interface. Any pretravel could be influenced by the trigger shoe interface with the trigger bar, the trigger bar being interfered with by the FCU and/or grip module, the plunger safety and the sear.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, first attempt posting a picture via google drive. When I tested it worked for me, but I’ll try again below. I should have been more clear, I have tried that FCU with my other slides, and the trigger feel changes based on the slide. Another FCU used with that slide gives the same excellent trigger feel.

https://drive.google.com/open?...wIHNb2xdNmnaCeNHb8Bq

The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
The linked pic works for me. I don't think the cuts (lightening cuts) are affecting the trigger pull feel. Perhaps the engagement surface of the striker in that slide is better and allows for a cleaner feeling trigger.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The link in both of your posts worked for me, too. I have no answer for your question though – I’m a SAO guy.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you've isolated out the grip modules and FCUs and identified the slide as different, there's really only 2 things that the trigger interacts with, the striker safety (yellow below) and the striker (red below). The safety will be on the take up, the striker surface under the hook is where the sear holds the striker back. Pulling the trigger will pull the sear down, slipping off the hook, allowing the striker to move forward. That interface is probably just better polished on the one. If you really wanted, you could disassemble the slide and switch the striker over and verify.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I have noticed what the OP is referring to. I believe it has to do with the individual strikers.

When I swapped a clean breaking striker to a slide which had the mushy feeling, that slide then had a clean break and visa versa.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the first series P320 the protusion of the strikers wich contact the sears were shorter than the 2nd series, that means the striker spring is more comprimed on the new models, and the trigger needs more forces to relaese the striker. the longer strikers were probably made to avoid light prmiers strike.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
It's most definitely the striker, and not the slide that is giving you a different feel.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! Please go to grayguns.com and participate in our P320 Trigger Exchange Program.

You’re eligible for a replacement PELT2 Competition Kit along with a gift certificate from grayguns.com, all on my dime. No direct cost to you.

Your slide cuts have no direct bearing on pull quality, BTW.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce, thanks for chiming in! I actually have my two pelts packaged to head your way tomorrow. The mystery continues though, I have disassembled and reassembled both slides in every combination of parts and when reassembled I get the same results-the left side slide yields significantly better trigger. Super confusing.

Edit: just to add more info if anyone is still curious-the better feeling trigger has a higher pitched sound associated with the release during dry fire. The other one has a more dull sound, a little lower pitch.