SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W J Frame preferences, step right in....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W J Frame preferences, step right in.... Login/Join 
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
I carry an AirLite Titanium (342) with +P loads in my coat pocket. It has laser grips. It is super easy to carry and shoots plenty good enough. I have a number of holsters but rarely use one. I don't believe they make this model any longer. It only weighs 10.5 oz. It is one of my favorite guns and will never be sold or traded.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I really like my AirLite Centennial titanium in .357, although I usually put +Ps in it. Super light and easy to carry in a pocket.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great guns- I own 4. Airlite Ti 337, Airlite Ti 342 both the original models in all silver, 11 oz. .38 cal; a 360ss scandium .357; and 360 M&P .357 both 13 oz.
I carry one of the titanium .38's in summer. They disappear in short pockets in an uncle Mike's pocket holster. I carry Fed 110 gr. Hydrashoks in them.
In winter, when not a glock 43, one of the 13 oz. 357's either in coat pocket or IWB loaded with .38 +P 125 gr. Silvertips or 110 gr. Corbon. Never put .357 anywhere near them. Magnums are for one of my 686-5's (4" and 2 .5" )
The j frame may not give you all kinds of firepower, but I think they are just the thing to get you out of the room when absolutely necessary

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally on a 640 no dash as my pocket gun after having owned all others. The 640 just is the perfect combination for me.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I had a 640-1 that I used as a BUG. I liked it. But my preference back then was for the 6 shot Colt Cobra.

Both have been replaced by a S&W CS45. The CS45 is as easy to conceal and just as reliable. And carries two additional rounds over the 640-1.

Were I interested in a revolver today, the Kimber K6 would get my vote over any j-frame. My 0.z02 Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
MP340

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
For pocket carry, I love my 340PD, no-lock version. Older model w/out the high vis front sight.

I load it with the Speer short bbl .38+P

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Aireweight 642 no lock goes with me just about everywhere it can, legally. It's the cat's ass for carry pistols.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&P 340 for me, with either short barrel Gold Dots in 38+P or short barrel Gold Dots in .357 (actually manageable).

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've owned more than a few different S&W J frames over the past 30 years. While on duty, a S&W snubby was always my BUG.

My only real preference is that it does not have a lock. Otherwise, they all work. Oh, no .357 mag rounds - just not my cup of tea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
94 HOKIE - is that a MIKA pocket holster? Where are the grips from?

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Two unusual ones here...I prefer the more recent guys over the older ones, due to better sights and trigger surfaces...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently contemplating a purchase of a performance center 642. Interesting thread for me!

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
340 with Crimson trace front activation cushioned laser grips. 357 125 grain hollow points. Shootable, but not a plinker.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still on occasion carry my Model 60. I still like the 148gr. full wadcutters in mine.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Highlander, I did the same to my 649. Very smooth.

quote:
Originally posted by highlander81:
I installed the Apex J frame duty/carry spring kit in my mod 649.
Really enhanced the shootability of the revolver.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've had this S&W 640-1 since the model was first offered in 1995 and carried it as a backup while working as a LEO until the introduction of the Airlite Ti Centennial Model 342 (.38 Special) in late 1998 or early 1999. The much lighter J-frame was almost unnoticeable to carry in my back pocket or in an ankle holster for a shift. Unfortunately, qualifying with the damn thing (even using standard velocity ammo) was an extremely painful matter. So much so, that I sold the Airlite when I retired in 2008. I still have the Model 640-1, though its pretty much a "safequeen" these days, while dressed with a nice set of Cocobolo wood grips by Esmeralda Sheehan.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've got a 340PD and a 640-1. The 340 is my warm weather go to because it conceals in anything I wear. Pocket carry in swim trunks? Got that covered. The 640 has a better trigger and is easier to shoot, but at 13oz the 340 just dissappears no matter where you put it.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad Esmerelda is no longer offering j-frame grips, yours look great pullicords.

EDIT: Yes 2pak, that's a MIKA pocket holster, grips are Eagle Secret Service in cocobolo.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a 36, 60 or 642 with Buffalo Bore 150 gr wadcutters as a SD load when not carrying my Sig 239. The 239 requires a holster but the J frame just drops in a pocket. The Ruger LCR is a nice alternative.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post