SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W J Frame preferences, step right in....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W J Frame preferences, step right in.... Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
640-1 loaded with Buffalo Bore 158gr 357 Magnum JHP (short barrel / low flash).

The 442 and lighter guns are great for carry, but difficult to shoot well. The little 640-1 is perfect.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I have a 642 and carry it a lot. Excellent DAO revolver.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see an all steel J-Frame in .22 Mag, that is NOT the 351 PD. Can't stand S&W trying to hot-rod older style weapons like that. I know Smith used to make them years ago, can't remember the model numbers, but it'd be nice to have one to play around with.

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 650
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
I'd love to see an all steel J-Frame in .22 Mag, that is NOT the 351 PD. Can't stand S&W trying to hot-rod older style weapons like that. I know Smith used to make them years ago, can't remember the model numbers, but it'd be nice to have one to play around with.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first of my many pistols was an S&W Terrier in .38 S&W caliber bought in the mid 1960's. When I realized after a few days that it was not a .38 Special, I took it back and traded it on a Model 36, Chief's Special. I still have it in mint condition in the original box. Of course, today, the Terrier is more valuable to collectors. Story of my life. Probaby 15 years ago, I bought a 442 and sent it off for custom work. It is more accurate than I am.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
642 with Apex Duty/Carry Kit - Speer GDHP +Ps

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My actual answer wasn't represented in the survey: none.

If I were to have a brain fart meltdown and abandon the firepower of semis like the G43 (unlikely, but you never know), I'd go straight to my fugly LCR. I tried HARD to like a 442 but vehemently disliked its fairly sharp recoil when shooting 38+P. The homely Ruger was a soft fluffy pillow/kitten on Quaaludes in comparison.

But I will say that I do like the look of the M36.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
640-1 loaded with Buffalo Bore 158gr 357 Magnum JHP (short barrel / low flash).

The 442 and lighter guns are great for carry, but difficult to shoot well. The little 640-1 is perfect.

I do like my 640-1 Pro with 357 Magnum but occasionally switch to my 632-2 with 327 Federal or my Performance Center 940 with 356TSW.

Posts: 54 | Registered: January 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching folks during range sessions. A large number will run the gamut of varied modern polymer pistols through their paces. When they are done with those, out come the J frames for 5-10 rounds to complete their exercise.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shooting a cylinder full of 357 Magnum, 327 Federal Magnum or 356TSW from a j frame always stirs some attention at the range. Some walk over to look and ask questions. And 1 or 2 want to know if they can try it. Smile

Posts: 54 | Registered: January 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd love to see an all steel J-Frame in .22 Mag...

OK, here's one on the left, and an even rarer J frame on the right...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have an odd one. Model 35-1. It's a 22/32 kit gun with a 6" barrel. Built from 1967 to 1971 or so.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Model 638-2 pre-lock, trigger job by Cylinder & Slide, front sight drilled with a tritium tube installed.

Carried mostly OWB, closely followed by pocket, and very rarely in a shoulder holster.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
OK, here's one on the left, and an even rarer J frame on the right...

Very nice! However, I should've said "an all steel J-Frame in .22 Mag snubbie"... without (hopefully) opening up the usual can of worms as to whether a .22WMR chambered Centennial is a good idea or not, I dig the concept. I just don't like the way S&W did the 357PD. I guess I don't like the way they do any of their new wheel guns, frankly.

Did they ever make a short barrel model of yours, say a 2 1/2" or 3" version?

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did they ever make a short barrel model of yours, say a 2 1/2" or 3" version?

Yes, both guns pictured above have 3" barrels. Also there was a short run of the Model 651 with 2" barrel. The 651 is a steel J-frame 22 mag with adjustable sights. Most of those had a 4" barrel like the one below on top, but a few were made with 2" barrels.

This picture shows a 4" 651 posed with the same 650 as above. The 650 was only made with 3" barrel.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post