SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W J Frame preferences, step right in....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W J Frame preferences, step right in.... Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted
Curious to see what numbers tally up for the SF preference in S&W J frame revolvers? Thanks for your feed back.

Question:
What is your preference?

Choices:
Chiefs special model variant?
Centennial model variant?
Bodyguard model variant?
Multiple of the above variants?

Question:
What material?

Choices:
AirWeight / AirLite?
Steel?

Question:
What cailber in the J frame do you prefer?

Choices:
38?
38+P?
357 Magnum?
Other?

Question:
Whats bullet weight do you prefer?

Choices:
110?
125?
130?
135?
147?
158?

Question:
Preferred method of carry?

Choices:
IWB?
OWB?
Pocket?
Ankle?
Shoulder?
Other?
Multiple of above choices?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My choice, most of the time, when I carry is a 3" bbl'd, Model 60, with adjustable sights. It rides in an open top OWB holster and is more accurate than I can hold. From the 15 yd. line one inch groups, SA are the rule, and recoil with 125 gr. JHPs in that steel frame is entirely manageable. That 3" bbl. makes all the difference when precision is required. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
60'S vintage mod 40 centennial,
usually with wadcutters,

hits were I point it, with out issue

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impossible to answer your poll. I have steel, aluminum and Airlite Ti models. I use everything from 110gr to 158 gr. I have 38's and 357's. I carry mostly OWB, but also pocket carry and have a shoulder rig. Additionally, I have several non-S&W snubs, including Taurus, Colt and Kimber.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I EDC a 642-1 loaded with Speer 135gr SB-GDHP +P, carried IWB.

I choose the Centennial models because 1) they're DAO, which is my preference for a self defense gun, and 2) current production models are available without the lock. However, I would actually prefer a no-lock, DAO Bodyguard by a very slight margin.

Material is a bit tricky. I would prefer steel, but I go with the aluminum alloy frame models because they're a little lighter and a little less expensive, but still controllable with my rounds of choice.

In general I like medium-to-heavy weight HP bullets for self defense. While the Speer load is my preferred choice, the Buffalo Bore LSWCHP standard pressure would be a very close second.

Most of my training has been with my gun carried on my strong-side hip, so that's where I carry my gun. For me, a 642 carried IWB is very comfortable, quick to access, and disappears under an untucked shirt, even if I have to bend over to pick something up.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
My preference is for a 638 or a 642 (pictured), pocket-carried. While I voted for .38 + P, I almost always carry standard-pressure ammo.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've had several J Frame variations (36, 60, 442, 638, 642) over the years, all in .38 special.

My favorite has been the All Stainless Steel Model 60 with 2" barrel. Recoil is mild compared the the Ultralight versions. I do have a 442 but prefer to carry the Model 60 as it is more pleasant to shoot.

Typical carry is done via a Bianchi pocket holster.

Current carry round is Winchester Ranger 130 Grain +P.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my 642-1... more so when I converted it to 9mm.

Tried to move away from odd calibers, so my LCP was switched with a P938, and got a 9mm cylinder fitted to my J-frame. Sorry, but I think S&W really got burned when Wiley Clapp said not to develop the 942.

Accurate as .38s, reloads are a little more compact than .38s in HKS loaders, and a little more versatile than it was. Being an Airweight, I don't shoot +P through it... just standard pressure 147 grain. Does about the same velocity as 110 grain .38 +P Hornady CD... so rather the heavier bullet.

Posts: 184 | Location: Maine | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
I installed the Apex J frame duty/carry spring kit in my mod 649.
Really enhanced the shootability of the revolver.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me the utility of a J-frame short barrel revolver is the compactness and light weight; it makes a great pocket pistol.

The 642 works well for me with Gold Dot short barrel. Nothing to snag, easy to draw, easy to shoot, very light. The outline breaks up in a pocket, even with light fabric, and it's fairly thin. What's not to like?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I carry a J-frame, it is a 442-2 in a Wild Bill's pocket holster.
My second J is a early '70s M60 with the S&W banana stocks which usually serves as a training gun.
442 is loaded with Ranger bonded 130 grain +P and the M60 gets 158 grain +P LHP when used for carry. To me, a five shot revolver is a gun to carry when belt carry is not practical. With a good belt, something more hand filling and easier to shoot can be carried, such as Austrian Tupperware or a K frame .38/.357.

Posts: 332 | Location: Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: January 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the feedback. Here within the SF, there resides a knowledgeable and diverse group of folks with interesting user experiences. Through the years, both the NYPD & Chicago PD realized it still had an overwhelming majority of there sworn personnel that carried snub .38s as backup and off-duty guns. NYPD approached Speer to create a load that would optimize .38 Special terminal ballistics when fired from a revolver with a 1.875-inch barrel.

Ernest Durham at Speer led the project, and the result has now become known colloquially as the NYPD load. Both the NYPD & CPD use it as
it comprises a wide-mouthed 135-grain Gold Dot bonded, jacketed hollowpoint at +P velocity. In numerous shootings with both snubs and 4-inch service revolvers, NYPD officials reported that they are more than satisfied. Because of the lighter bullet, it kicks less than the FBI load, and because of the modern Gold Dot technology, it expands widely and reliably. They found it to be a good man-stopper.

This is the time of the year that most pull out their J frames for EDC. Then there are those who make use of them year round or as s secondary. I personally make use of them with either my 442 or 360. My 60 doesn't make the scene no longer as its close it weight to my SP101 when I want to carry the weight. I prefer +P in the 125-158 range. I have seen how hard the 110 +P can be on forcing cones especially in short barreled J/K frames and refrain from their use.

Thanks for the poll feedback, good data & remarks! Love tis place Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great J frame topic and thread.
What standard pressure load does SF like? I am about running out of my old, much-loved, 125g standard pressure Nyclads.
Scott

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pocket carried a 442 for years. That's how I voted. I finally woke up to the fact my Kahr CM 9 made my 442 obsolete. YMMV.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a 642 no-lock frequently. Its a 'better than nothing' gun.

Very easy to conceal - even in shorts.

Its loaded with the Speer 135 gr short barrel GDHPs.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Back when I carried a J Frame as a BUG on duty and a yard work/gym carry gun off duty, it was a S&W 642 carried in a Mika pocket holster and loaded with 135 grain .38 +P Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel rounds.

quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
I finally woke up to the fact my Kahr CM 9 made my 442 obsolete.

Same here. I ditched the J Frame several years ago in favor of a Kahr CM9. Better sights. Better trigger. Arguably better caliber. Faster reloads. More rounds. Same size package.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
So far, it looks like the 158's are leading followed closely by the 135's. I'm with ya on Nyclads. Whenever I visit old pawn shops, I search out there old ammo looking for the stuff, lol
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Great J frame topic and thread.
What standard pressure load does SF like? I am about running out of my old, much-loved, 125g standard pressure Nyclads.
Scott

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Like probably many here, I've owned a variety of J-Frames. I can recall Models 36, 60, 640, 642 no lock, 49, 940, etc. OK, I admit the 36 and 642 were originally my, now retired police officer, wife'sWink I've come to prefer the Centennial models just because there is no external hammer to snag, and only one mode of operation. If I had to choose one frame material, I prefer the steel framed guns. But I admit that in my dotage, I carry the 642 quite a bit just due to the lighter weight. FWIW, I've done a bit of chronographing of some different types of 38 Spcl. and 9MM ammo in these little guns. Ballistically, 9MM significantly exceeds 38 +P in these little 2 and 3" barreled guns. At least with the ammo I have available. I understand there may be smaller "boutique" manufacturer's 38 Spcl. ammo available that exceeds the ballistics of the major manufacturer's offerings I tested.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
A model 36 3" heavy barrel was an issue gun early on in my career. I later had a 2" mdl 60. I prefer the steel models to the ultra light guns due to recoil issues.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
My j-frame is a SIX shooter.

It's a model 432PD chambered in .32 H&R magnum, loaded with 85 grain Hornady XTP bullets.

Controllable and adequately powerful. Wears Crimson Trace grips and carried in my left front pocket in a Nemesis holster.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post