SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Questions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions? Login/Join 
posted
Can a person with a CPL from another state deliver and give a resident a handgun from their home state? Do handguns have to be registered in the state of Florida? Thanks for the help with these questions.

Posts: 267 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey, I think any transactions across state lines require an FFL transfer to be completed in your state. They can send it to a licensed FFL holder without having a license (or a licensed representative) themselves. Some states keep registrations in a database, others have the FFL keep the records for two years or so. I'm not sure about Florida's methods or any local idiosyncrasies for towns / municipalities.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stinger4me:
Can a person with a CPL from another state deliver and give a resident a handgun from their home state?

The state where they got their concealed handgun license doesn't matter. There are numerous states that issue non-resident concealed handgun permits.

The big question is: Are the buyer and seller both residents of the same state? Because face-to-face private firearm sales are only legal between residents of the same state.

Otherwise, if you're selling to an out-of-state resident, or buying from an out-of-state resident, the handgun must be transferred through a FFL in the buyer's home state.

If the seller is close to the buyer but across state lines, the seller can personally drive the gun over to a FFL in the buyer's state and then have the FFL do the transfer to the buyer. That may save some money over shipping the gun to the FFL in the buyer's state.

But keep in mind that this is just referring to federal law. You'll also need to check state and local laws for the buyer and seller, to ensure that you're doing things legally.

quote:
Do handguns have to be registered in the state of Florida?

No.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Transporting the firearm out of state and selling it out of state to an out of state resident will run you afoul of several crimes.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Transporting the firearm out of state and selling it out of state to an out of state resident will run you afoul of several crimes.

Unless you're transporting it out of state to a FFL in the buyer's state, and allowing the FFL to transfer it to the buyer. Which is perfectly legal (under federal law; state/local laws vary).

In that case, you're basically just doing the job of UPS/FedEx yourself.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's best to just deal with an FFL(s) when buyer and seller are separated by state borders.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, would this apply to someone gifting a firearm to a relative? Like if I want to gift a gun to my Dad while he's visiting me, even though he doesn't live in Texas.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post