SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Love the 45 Shield except...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love the 45 Shield except... Login/Join 
posted
The roughness of the grip against my side.
Put some SD rounds through it Memorial day and it ate the HST's and Critical Duty like a champ. Decided that I've missed the ease of carrying a Shield since it's been years and the weather is warm again.
The grip is aggressive and its irritating my side a bit. Maybe it's the holster. I'm using a Remora Micro Clip I had for my 9mm Shield. The 45 slips right in. I have one for my Kahr and for short carries, it works great.
Honestly thinking about getting some really fine grit sandpaper and smoothing the grips a little. Nothing bad, just taking some edge off.
Any thoughts? I really don't feel like another holster since this one disappears easily.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Talon Grips perhaps?

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Talon Grips perhaps?

Possible but I've never been real big on adding to a pistols grips.
After poking around a bit on the interwebz, seems like I'm not alone. One idea was 400 grit sandpaper and I guess it worked. Just took some of the sharpness off.
Another idea was the Hogue slip on rubber grip but I tried one and didn't care for it.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Crossbreed Appendix carry for my Shield 45. The leather backing negates most of the exposure to the aggressive grip texture.
I'm sure any leather/kydex holster would do the job. I like the texture when I shoot, but I carried the gun in a one clip kydex holster and you are right, it's unpleasant.

If you want to try Crossbreed wait for a sale. There are cheaper holsters of this kind out there.
Edit: I missed the part about you not wanting another holster on first read. I'll leave the post as a suggestion to others.

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Shield 45 grips met with some sandpaper. Not enough to smooth them, just enough to take some of the sharpness off the left side. Much more comfortable on my skin, still grippy enough to control +P's.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hogue makes a special rubber grip for the Shield 45. Here is the link.
http://www.hogueinc.com/store/...r-p9p40cw9cw40/21773
I really like it because it adds a bit of gerth to the grip and adds rubber to the beaver tail. After 100rnds, w/o the grip, the web of my hand between the thumb and forefinger was irritated to the point I had to stop. Now with the grip, it doesn't happen.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Remora offer the same holster with an extended shield for the slide?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I would look at brooks A Grip. It is fuzzy material that is extremely grippy, yet soft. It looks odd but works great.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Doesn't Remora offer the same holster with an extended shield for the slide?

Possible but I have my Remora from when I had my 9mm Shield and it fits nicely.
This weekend I think I'll get some fine sandpaper and take some sharpness off.

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I did the same with my cz p07

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
My Shield 45 grips met with some sandpaper. Not enough to smooth them, just enough to take some of the sharpness off the left side. Much more comfortable on my skin, still grippy enough to control +P's.

What phydough said, made it a much better ECD, I used some 80 grit emery cloth! Soooooooo much better with a wife beater on.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Great timing for this thread.

Just received my High Noon Bare Asset holster for my S&W M&P Shield 45.
Realized that the grip against my bare skin was not going to work rather quickly.

Ordered the Hogue grip from here.
Aggressive Guns

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fquico:
I really like it because it adds a bit of gerth to the grip and adds rubber to the beaver tail. After 100rnds, w/o the grip, the web of my hand between the thumb and forefinger was irritated to the point I had to stop. Now with the grip, it doesn't happen.

Thanks for the info

NRA Lifer
AZCDL
A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

Posts: 31 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texagun
posted Hide Post
I had the same complaint. Took some 400 grit wet-or-dry paper and lightly buffed the sharp points off the grips where they irritated my hand. It took about 10 minutes. Improved the grip by 100% and you couldn't tell visually that they were ever touched. Without the sharp points the grips still fit securely in my hands.

Posts: 333 | Location: North Texas | Registered: March 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
With these kinds of textures I tend to think that a custom hybrid with an extensive backing shield would be the only way I'd be able to carry one. Even then, the texture might still be aggressive enough to snag onto the inside of the article of clothing that's used for concealing the firearm. One twist of the torso, Insta-print. That's how Glock's RTF2 texture was for me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we use skateboard tape to make it rough, why wouldn't you try something like electrician's tape to make it smoother?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
If we use skateboard tape to make it rough, why wouldn't you try something like electrician's tape to make it smoother?

I don't know that the tape would be durable enough. I'm also thinking that might make the grip a little slicker than I want.
The 45 Shield is by no means a recoil monster but it is there.
I'm my travels today, I got some 400 grit sandpaper and I'm gonna give that a try. Just a little at a time and I'll have the Remora on and get it to where I like it.

posted Hide Post
Success. A few passes with the sandpaper and it's good. Kept the holster on and did a little. Reholster and check. Doesn't scrape my side and my shirt is not snagging on it either.
Still seems like enough to hold on to the grip and I'll get her out in my backyard range to check soon.