SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DAN Wesson CCO .45 or 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAN Wesson CCO .45 or 9mm? Login/Join 
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post

I have the ECP in both 9mm and 45. It is really hard to make a choice for carry or shooting. I love 45 but the 9mm is really soft shooting and is easier with recoil.
And they both use the same holster!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
Get a Vigil CCO! I own one in .45 ACP and love it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had this same conundrum a while back. I ended up deciding that I wanted a gun chambered for the cartridge it was designed around, so I got a Springfield EMP4 in 9mm. Springfield shrank the design down just enough to perfectly fit the 9mm/.40 without requiring mag spacers or other such nonsense. I've been very happy with that choice, and the gun has been extremely reliable.

I'm now wanting a steel-framed gov't sized 1911, and as such I'm looking at .45s. if you must have a 9mm bore in a standard 1911, I'd look at a .38 super.

Posts: 8559 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you can see from the very good and varied responses, it's really a matter of philosophy and personal preferences.

I'm in the God (JMB) designed the 1911 for .45 ACP camp. Something satisfying about a brilliant 108 year old design with a 114 year old cartridge that's still viable today.

Only downside I've found with mine is that it destroys targets faster with centered ratholes than any of my nines. Wonder why that is. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For carry, I'd go with .45 as it's a heavier bullet, what the gun was designed for and probably a hair more reliable (over thousands of rounds) and in the 1911, you only gain 1 extra round by going to 9mm. IMO if you gained 2 or more rounds I'd go with 9mm. I have both .45's and 9mm 1911's and really like the way 9mm shoots in the 1911, but for carry with the round count in mind, I'd go .45. However, loaded the 9mm will be lighter and so will a spare loaded mag due to the ammo weight difference.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DW CCO is .45 ACP, I'm VERY satisfied with my choice. I'd do it all over again as my other CCW is a Glock 19. Personally, I think a 1911... for me... is best in .45ACP. YMMV.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
LESS FILLING!!! Oh, sorry, wrong thread. Or is it?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1953 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
I have had atleast one 1911/45acp around since the early 80’s and purchased a DW Guardian 9mm a few years ago and it is the sweetist shooting 1911 i have ever owned.
Fun and very accurate shooting. It makes me look good and my buddyies who werent really 1911 seemed to shoot it well.
If i could only have one 1911 for ccarry or range use only it would be a 9mm.
I liked the Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm so much i sold my prized Ed Brown Kobra carry 45acp.
The Ed Brown was one fine gun but for the money Dan Wesson really is the better value IMO.

I concur.
Although I sold mine after a couple years when I realized single action just wasn't for me.

All my 9mm 1911s were finicky with ammo; no reloads, no re-manufactured, or cheap stuff.
But that 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian was the most accurate pistol I ever owned.

The only 45ACP pistol I've ever cared for is my G21.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
Only way for the OP to settle this question is to try and shoot both before you buy. Easier said than done, but maybe a rental range will have both to rent or maybe just the .45 in a CCO or Lightweight Commander variation to try.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
I have a Wilson Combat Protector in .45ACP that I carried on duty for about 10 years. Just recently picked up this DW ECP in 9mm and am diggin' it!

Posts: 76 | Registered: November 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Evening, thank you for all of the input. I decided to but the Valkyrie in .45.

Posts: 405 | Location: St.Louis, MO | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post