SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DAN Wesson CCO .45 or 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAN Wesson CCO .45 or 9mm? Login/Join 
posted
Afternoon,
I trust you are all doing well today. I am in a bit of a pickle. I want to buy. A DW Valkyrie but I am torn on caliber. Does anyone have a preference for a CCO 1911?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 403 | Location: St.Louis, MO | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’d vote .45. Had a Dan Wesson CCO not long ago in .45 and it was great.

That said - while I’ve never fired one, I suspect a 9mm would be excellent in this size gun, too.

I realize what a huge help (not!) I am here. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I look at this from two angles. First, the .45 is a 7+1 gun, the 9mm is an 8+1 gun, so there is only a one round advantage to the smaller cartridge. Second, while I haven't shot the DW 9mm, 1911, I have shot the Springfield, and I didn't find it to be that much smoother or milder in recoil than the .45.

Given that there is only a marginal increase in capacity, and that there is little difference in recoil (to me, subjective, I know), I would go with the .45.

Now, if you are a 9mm guy, and don't currently have a .45 and don't want to add a caliber, I get it, but other than that, I would go .45 on this one.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My brace of DW CCOs are 45ACP. Love 'em! Great carry pieces! Big Grin
I relegate my 9mm needs to tweaked Hi-Powers. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What's the purpose of the pistol?

If range toy, 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

If carry / SD, .45 ACP makes a bigger hole.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one will be to carry. I have both calibers.

Posts: 403 | Location: St.Louis, MO | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've noticed over the last two years, it's easier to see the paper target holes from a .45 ACP than 9MM range toy. Frown

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disagree strongly that there is not a big difference between smoothness and recoil of 9 vs 45. If you shot them back to back in the same range session it is night and day.

I find 45 to be pleasant enough out of an all steel 1911 but that same pistol in 9mm is gonna be so much smoother and lighter on recoil.

The recoil impulse of a heavy, steel, 9mm 1911 is hard to describe but it's awesome and you will be smiling the entire time.

My vote is 100% for the 9mm unless you don't own a 45 offering and feel the need to round out a collection, it is indeed more traditional

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The DW CCO in 45ACP shoots very comfortably with much milder felt recoil than some other similar guns. This not only from my experience but from others who have shot my guns. And yes I own a number of other 1911s. It is a comfortable carry and shooting piece. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the DW CCO in .45 acp (as God intended the 1911 to be). Great pistol.

I prefer either government model size 1911's, or CCO-pattern 1911's for that platform, and the Dan Wesson offering is hard to beat. Very well made.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

I've noticed over the last two years, it's easier to see the paper target holes from a .45 ACP than 9MM range toy. Frown
After I had my cataract surgery, I can see .22 holes just fine. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will politely say you guys are nuts if you think the two calibers recoil the same. I own both calibers, 2 of which are Valor 9mm’s. They are soft shooting to say the least. While I don’t consider 45’s harsh, I wouldn’t call them soft shooting.

I like my 9mm 1911’s for many reasons. Ammo commonality when going to range, same for HD ammo, cheap, mild recoil, extra round or two. I am sure I could come up with more.

I don’t shoot my 45’s much anymore. In fact my Colt is wearing a Wilson Combat 22 conversion right now.

I vote 9mm. Your wallet will thank me.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say go with whichever one you have a preference for.

But if it were me, I'd go with the .45. While I'm not a 1911 purist by any stretch, and I'm sure the DW 9mm 1911s are excellent guns, if I were to get a 1911 it'd be in .45.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
38 Super! Wait... What? Nevermind.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
.45 ACP is, what... 2-3 times as expensive as 9mm to shoot? But still I find myself shooting the former more than the latter. The round just plain agrees with me. And this is after a lifetime of avoiding it and thinking it past its time.

I especially like it in a 1911.

I may acquire a 1911 in 9mm someday, but it's not high on the list. *shrug*

ETA: Friend of mine who's a 1911 addict says the only correct answer other than .45 ACP is 10mm Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1911, I prefer .45. I have a CCO in .45 and it feels very nice.

Whatever .45 will do, a well crafted 9mm projectile that is aimed properly can probably do, and it will carry 1 more.

However, I prefer [most of] my 1911s in .45.

I do have a 1911 in 9, and a Star Model B [1911-inspired] in 9.

There is a different recoil impulse. Anyone who says there is no difference is speaking about perception- not objectively.

However, I don't find 9mm or .45 to be objectionable. 9 is a sharper 'rap' and .45 is a slower 'push'. Neither is a problem for me.

Now, .40? Yuck. [MY Opinion only- ymmv.]

Get what you want and learn to use it well.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
38 Super! Wait... What? Nevermind.

^^ This

Wonderful round in a 1911 or P220

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
.45 ACP is, what... 2-3 times as expensive as 9mm to shoot?

Not if you reload.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
.45 ACP is, what... 2-3 times as expensive as 9mm to shoot?

Not if you reload.

But if you reload 9mm... Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's still not 3 times as expensive if you reload both (I do). The projectiles are a bit more; I shoot a lot of Bayou Bullets coated lead. 147 gn 9mm at 76.00/1000 vs. 230 gn. 105/1000 works out to be 3.80 for the projectile/box of 50, vs. 5.25/box of 50 for the .45. 1.45 difference. Cost is fairly negligible for the difference between the primers and powder for 9 vs. 45, so the main difference is the cost of the projectiles.

For a steel match with 150 rounds fired, that's a difference of 4.35 between the two. Not a great difference. Definitely not 2-3 times the difference.

I usually shoot 9mm, however, because I'm a cheap bastard, though I carry .357 Sig.