SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I'm not sure why, but I think I need a 9mm revolver
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm not sure why, but I think I need a 9mm revolver Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I have consolidated my handgun collection around 9mm, .22LR, and.357/.38. I have a bunch of 9mm semi-autos, a 3" SP101 in .357, and a 360J in .38. I saw that Ruger recently re-introduced the SP101 in 9mm. I've been eyeing this keenly (although I wish they offered it with a 3" or 4" barrel). I've also looked at the Blackhawk convertibles in .357/9mm.

Anyone care to share their experiences with these? Do I really stand to gain anything that I don't already have with the .357? How do they compare recoil and accuracy wise, and how irritating is it to deal with a rimless cartridge in a revolver?

I like the idea of being able to shoot the primary cartridge that I load for out of any platform, but I'm not sure if that in itself is enough to justify the expense.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Taurus 2 inch model (yeah, I know.) It shoots nicely, but the recoil is a bit intense. More than a .38 in that size, but less than .357. I will likely sell it soon as I am thinning the herd. I don't think the ballistic gain over .38 is worth the trade off, and dealing with moon clips (stellar clips, Taurus calls them) truly sucks. If ya gotta, go Ruger. If ya just need a revolver, I'd say go with the Kimber K6S. A mighty fine six shooter, lighter (a bit) that the Ruger, and accurate. Cabela's is stocking the 3 inch version now.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't think the K6S is available in 9mm, and I like a hammer spur on my revolvers...I like the option of single action when I want it.

That's interesting that the recoil is worse than the .38. Is your Taurus an ultralight, or is it all steel? Have you ever chronographed it to see how it stacks up to .357/38 numerically?

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
This article (and comments) might be helpful too : https://www.shootingillustrate...r-your-9mm-revolver/

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a Ruger Vaquero conv .357/9mm. I love this gun. The weight of this revolver combined with the lighter shooting 9mm just makes it a pleasure to shoot. Originally, I wanted to pick up a 9mm SAA so it was easier for my 2 daughters to manage the recoil but I love this things and have shot it almost every week since I bought it.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Although pricey, Smith & Wesson has two 7-round models based on the L-frame (986) and one 8-round model on the N-frame (929). I have a 2.5 inch 986 on order but no first hand experience yet.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
92fs, I've done a fair amount of chronographing with the 2" and 3" 9MM revolvers. Both ballistics and recoil fall between 38+P and .357. Closer to .357 with some of the more energetic 9MM ammo. I've had several different sizes and types of 9MM revolvers, so obviously I like them. That being said, your .357 is more powerful, your 38 with +P ammo is softer in recoil, and I suspect most shooters would be more comfortable with a .38/.357 revolver.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm is not optimal for a revolver. A .38 Special or .357 Magnum makes more sense.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unless you already own 9mm pistols but no .38/.357.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
92fs, I've done a fair amount of chronographing with the 2" and 3" 9MM revolvers. Both ballistics and recoil fall between 38+P and .357. Closer to .357 with some of the more energetic 9MM ammo. I've had several different sizes and types of 9MM revolvers, so obviously I like them. That being said, your .357 is more powerful, your 38 with +P ammo is softer in recoil, and I suspect most shooters would be more comfortable with a .38/.357 revolver.

Your power comparison of 9mm to .357MAG is borne out with Ruger, as their 9mm LCR uses the .357MAG frame for its own build.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
SP101 in 9mm is tempting me so badly right now! Almost like a slice of chocolate cake....

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I would get one of these befor fooling with any moon clips..

https://charterfirearms.com/co...ull-rimless-revolver

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Look for a SW 547.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with a 986.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
9mm is not optimal for a revolver. A .38 Special or .357 Magnum makes more sense.

I wouldn't want to be shot with one regardless...

Posts: 120 | Location: Kansas | Registered: December 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
SP101 in 9mm is tempting me so badly right now! Almost like a slice of chocolate cake....

Lol...I know the feeling. The dumb thing is, I know the .357/.38 makes a lot more sense, and I don't even have the excuse that I only have 9mms, because I already have quite a few guns in .357/.38 (including an SP101!). But there's just something about the idea of having semi-auto handguns, a carbine, and a revolver all chambered for the same cartridge...

The Blackhawk convertible makes a little more sense because it can shoot the traditional revolver cartridges, too....but the SP101 is just calling to me. Dang you Ruger for offering so many interesting chamberings!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:

Why???

9mm has much better ballistics than .38 +p, much better self defense ammunition selection, much cheaper practice ammo, and ammo much easier to find......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand either your want or your need, unless its just to spend money.

you already have three really good calibers to shoot at the range .

the nine won't do anything that these other fine calibers won't do.

skip the 9 and move up to .44

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I have revolvers in all the major "auto" calibers. I have an old 3" SP101 in 9mm and the newer S&W 986. Recoil falls in between 38 and 357. I enjoy shooting them and if there ever is a SHTF moment I can have a carbine, semi auto handgun and revolver in either 9, 40 or 45 available.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post