SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    AIWB injury with INCOG and Glock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AIWB injury with INCOG and Glock Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted
Short story, loaded pistol holstered while the guy is standing (no bang), he walks around a bit (no bang), then he bends over almost 90deg forward at the waist.

BANG.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...gligent-or-accident/

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got an Incog for my Shield and can't see how that could happen if holstered properly.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhino - Thanks for posting this video....This guy was lucky...The one thing I noticed was the ladies quick reaction to grab a battle pack to help this guy.....Makes me wonder if something was in the holster or if something in a pocket (pocket knife) might have caused it...

Pretty amazing video...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Anyone in NV can confirm this story? Hospital/ER visit?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Very odd. I have a hard time seeing how that, or any, holster would pull the gun's trigger once the gun is put in it. Snagging it on an edge or foreign object while holstering, yes.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cannot imagine how it discharged from bending over unless there was something caught in the trigger guard (clothing?) and when he bent over it pulled. He was lucky to be in a location where they had the right kit to address the wound quickly.

Posts: 93 | Location: ID | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there just a case involving an ND when a trigger pin for the trigger safety worked it's way out and caught on the holster.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if he was using a holster not designed for his specific model. Because it doesn't look like he's wearing anything but a T-shirt and it doesn't look like it gets caught.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Looks like he has an undershirt on. I can only guess it got in there as he was reholstering pulled the trigger slack, then when he bent over it pulled the rest of the way to discharge it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no info besides the thread posted. From looking at the video it seems to be authentic, however what exactly happened is beyond me.

One thought I do have is in today's day of kydex holsters with tons of screws / washers / etc, I wonder if something had worked its way out and caused the weapon to fire.

I have several holsters with said screws / washers but after getting the holster set in the desired position, will loctite them in place.

Just a potential area to think about, but still your guess is as good as mine about what could have caused this incident - regardless of holster or firearm brand.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Kind of looks staged to me

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Kind of looks staged to me

Hence, my question.

If I'm the INCOG maker, and I'm seeing this thing making its round on the internet, I'm starting to dig immediately for facts.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
1. What's with the funky Dutch angle with the camera? Big Grin

2. I wonder if this is a gun issue, more than a holster issue. Insufficient striker engagement, bending over torques the gun in an usual way, the striker slips off and "boom". Yes, it still shouldn't go off, but the world's an imperfect place.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I have no info besides the thread posted. From looking at the video it seems to be authentic, however what exactly happened is beyond me.

It is all in the video. Look very carefully at the length of the free end of his cover garment before he holsters, after he holsters, and then when after he has his negligent discharge.
Before he places the gun the holster, his T shirt extends quite below his waist line, partially obscured by the laptop screen. Note that his T shirt is tucked into his pants other than just the very front. After he holsters, you can see that the front part of T shirt falls on top of the gun, and he re-adjusts it over.

When gun fires and the dude shows one more time that he has no capacity to mentally process things related to carrying guns by throwing his gun down in a room with other people present (he should take lessons from Tex Grebner who had enough cool to put his gun down), a long free end of his T shirt comes out of his pants.
His T-shirt folded into the holster, partly because it was tucked into his pants and couldn't fall free, he never truly cleared holster's mouth, and gun went off when he bent over, creating tension on the trigger.

The dude confirms my long standing fears of us seeing more AIWB discharges because everyone thinks they know what they are doing with AIWB, as opposed to actually learning from people with experience.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:

It is all in the video. Look very carefully at the length of the free end of his cover garment before he holsters, after he holsters, and then when after he has his negligent discharge.
Before he places the gun the holster, his T shirt extends quite below his waist line, partially obscured by the laptop screen. Note that his T shirt is tucked into his pants other than just the very front. After he holsters, you can see that the front part of T shirt falls on top of the gun, and he re-adjusts it over.

When gun fires and the dude shows one more time that he has no capacity to mentally process things related to carrying guns by throwing his gun down in a room with other people present (he should take lessons from Tex Grebner who had enough cool to put his gun down), a long free end of his T shirt comes out of his pants.
His T-shirt folded into the holster, partly because it was tucked into his pants and couldn't fall free, he never truly cleared holster's mouth, and gun went off when he bent over, creating tension on the trigger.

The dude confirms my long standing fears of us seeing more AIWB discharges because everyone thinks they know what they are doing with AIWB, as opposed to actually learning from people with experience.

So its not really a problem with appnedix carry....its a problem with IWB

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Insufficient striker engagement, bending over torques the gun in an usual way, the striker slips off and "boom". Yes, it still shouldn't go off, but the world's an imperfect place.
The Glock Striker isn't cocked until the trigger begins to be pulled.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:

Good eyes, I never saw it. This could be the explanation.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never holster an SFA pistol to the holster with the holster installed IWB on my person, never.. just too many things can go wrong...

I remember my instructor telling me more than once, that there is NO HURRY to reholster your pistol. I see a lot of people rush it particularly in matches.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Something stinks. I also wonder about if an aftermarket trigger played a part....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Insufficient striker engagement, bending over torques the gun in an usual way, the striker slips off and "boom". Yes, it still shouldn't go off, but the world's an imperfect place.
The Glock Striker isn't cocked until the trigger begins to be pulled.

It's half way I believe.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post