SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What pistols have you owned, or fired that have just not lived up?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What pistols have you owned, or fired that have just not lived up? Login/Join 
posted
Rule one, Don't make this a fight.

For me, the most glaring was the HKp7. Mine was a great pristine example. I typically 5-6 mags in a row. After 3, though the damn thing was nearly unshootable. Either it would be to hot to handle, or it would require me to scrape the stupid gas chamber. Accuracy was great, trigger was meh. Sometimes getting the thing back together after cleaning was a royal pain in the ass, other times it would slide together as if it was a lego.

The second was the sig P228. Fit my hand perfectly, it fit my grip, 9mm, trigger length etc. Just awesome, however, every time I went shooting with it i took my p226 pistols. I simply like shooting full sized pistols more. I just enjoy shooting the p226 more. So much more i sold off the 228. While i have a jonesing for another, it would have to be 500 bucks price range and behind a lot of my other guns on my wish list.

The final one, and please don't start a fight. Is any number of striker fired guns like glock, ruger, canick, walther, smith, xd. Nearly every single one, I shoot 6-8 inches low. Even the new hudson h9 while better still shot 8 inches low. I like the idea, grips, blah blah. I just cant get past the grip angle and odd sights the factories use.

Those are my top three.

I have a 4th.
We bought a Khar MK9 nickel night sights the first year they were out. It would not feed any three rounds in order. several dozen ammo types, 5 seperate mags, 3 trips back to khar, with 0 change to the gun. I traded it off years later.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Anything from KELTEC...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
S&W 60. Yep, revolvers never fail, always go boom, etc.

Mine, well, I guess I got the lemon. Pretty gun, nice feeling trigger, appealing size, but, no, mine would not cycle to the next rounded chamber.

SP101 and I never looked back.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The Lorcins, Jennings, Ravens, and heck, even the Hi-Point have not lived up to the hype. Don't believe the good reports you hear on these guns. The good reviews are just lies! Crap, every one of them.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VP9SK

I liked my full size VP9 enough that I ordered an SK as soon as they were available. It functions just fine, but the size/weight/capacity is just "off".

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of g26s239
posted Hide Post
HK P9s 9mm. It wasn't mine, it was my friend's gun and it was reliable but had a strange sproingy feel in recoil that I don't like. Unlike the OP I really like the P7 so I figured I would like the P9s as well.

Oh well there are plenty of others guns to enjoy shooting.

Posts: 1284 | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Walther PPK. (Not mine, but I wanted to try out my friend's.)

It's iconic, sure. But it's hard to feel like James Bond when you have bloody "slide bite" wounds on your hand.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig Mosquito.

Pot metal POS
Jam-o-matic
crappy trigger
front sight would fall out from the massive recoil of subsonic 40 grain 22lr ammo
really quite inaccurate

It's the only firearm that I had purchased, then sold in short order.

But it looked good, felt good....(yeah, there's an old NSFW joke along that line)
Total POS handgun.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g26s239:
HK P9s 9mm. It wasn't mine, it was my friend's gun and it was reliable but had a strange sproingy feel in recoil that I don't like. Unlike the OP I really like the P7 so I figured I would like the P9s as well.

Oh well there are plenty of others guns to enjoy shooting.

I always wonder if I would have enjoyed my p7 if i had put more than 300 rounds through it in any one session. I think i had a few k through it when i sold it off. The biggest frustration was that gas port cleaning. I shoot cheap ammo, and it just gummed up. Shrug.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m going to go HK as well, for me a USPc in .40. I always wonder if I’d liked it better in DAO or their version of DAK, or maybe if it had been in 9mm maybe. I’d like to try another one.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Kimber 1911s, 3 of them. Wont get fooled again there. Beautiful, very accurate, single shot 45s. Great for malfunction drill training but not for much else.

s&w shields. Poor accuracy, mostly due to the lousy triggers. We had them as range rentals. Lots of FTEs on the first two we had. I wont ever own one - not even at the sub 300 prices I see them at. Never understood all the hype surrounding them. 2.0 versions might be better but I will never know. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Anything from KELTEC...

That's it? I'm sure there is a more robust response possible. You pretty much drove by this thread at high speed shouting "I hate Keltec" out the window. Booooring.

Anyway.

Top of the shitpile (bottom?) would be the Steyr GB. I bought one used, so maybe that was the problem. It just wouldn't run, no matter the fiddling, ammo types etc.

Sig P229 in .40. Really, I blame .40 for this, because I love the P228, P225, and lots of other Sigs. One of the first guns I bought was the 229 in .40 with a .357 barrel for it as well, and it was a crap trigger inaccuracy festival. Never bought another .40.

Haven't had too many disappointments in firearms, at least that don't spring immediately to mind. The Ruger Mini-30 was an underwhelming experience. Mostly due to the magazines, and ho-hum accuracy.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
XD 45. Just hated it. Not sure why but Clint Smith had me NEEEEEDING one!
I am thinking it was a high bore axis?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a die hard Beretta fan and own a Beretta M9 along with the Beretta Compact L + M model.

The one Beretta I did not like and did not enjoy shooting is the Beretta Px4 Storm Compact chambered for .40.

Also my Glock 23 Generation 2. It bangs the crap out of my knuckle. My Glock 22 and 21 are not as bad.

I am just not a Glock person. I keep trying and trying because I know most of Law Enforcement carries them but they are not my favorite to shoot. I haven't tried the Generation 5 yet though.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
938SAS model. Wanted to like it, but never could get it to aim naturally. 238/225/226/228/229/239/210/220/X5 all aim naturally for me- that 938 was traded away.

Posts: 90 | Location: The Mitten | Registered: September 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ P10C. Waited over a year for the suppressor ready version.

It was just meh to me. Don't shoot it anymore. Tried my best to like it.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
XD 45. Just hated it. Not sure why but Clint Smith had me NEEEEEDING one!
I am thinking it was a high bore axis?

No idea what the issue was, but I'll 2nd this one. Shot one belonging to a co-worker of my wife's & it just didn't fit & I was struggling to hit a steel silhouette at 20yds, where the P220ST & USP45C we also had out were just peachy for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A forged frame Mark III BHP 9mm. Between the boxy grip, trigger reach that was way too short for my fingers and very average single action trigger, I just never warmed up to it. I bought a CZ 75 SA and sold the BHP.

A Ballester Rigaud- made in Argentina in 1938, copy of a 1911, the sites were incredibly tiny and it was just sloppy from all of the years it was in the army down there, so sold it.

A S+W enhanced 1911 government. It sheered the slide stop at 200 rounds. I replaced it with a forged one rather than send it in, it sheered that one 500 rounds later. I sent it to S+W, they fixed it. For whatever reason, I just never liked shooting it compared to all of my other 1911's, it just doesn't feel the same when it recoils for some reason.....tried to sell it but only went up to $600 on Gunbroker a few years ago…….and didn't hit my reserve of like $650, so it's sitting in my safe...…..probably should sell it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Revolver. Any revolvers. They are just not for me. Simply awkward for me. And I've owned many, from several manufacturers, from the lightest snubbies to the Anaconda and the 629 and the Super Redhawk. They are all beautiful, but I couldn't shoot them worth a damn.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
HK P30. V3 version. Loaded up on the hype, went out and bought one. Should've shot it first, would've saved a lot of heartache (and ammo) in the subsequent years following. I still own it, occasionally taking it out to try to get a handle on shooting this thing with consistency and speed. Every time I think I'm improving, instead I wind up regressing. Glutton for angst and punishment, I guess. Definitely delusional I'm certain; I keep wanting it to be just like my VP9. It's THE one I love to hate; probably why I still have it.

CZ Czechmate. A former business associate owns one and I got to try it. Meh. For that kind of cheddar CZ should've sent it to Cajun Gun Works if Angus Hobdell at the Custom Shop was too busy. Not exactly horrible, just not up to the hype, or more importantly, the price tag. The lesser cost Shadows coming out of the Custom Shop feel more precise and properly vetted that this example of the Czechmate I shot. I didn't have the heart to tell the owner that, though, even though he has Shadows of all types and price points to compare it side-by-side to.

EDIT: Looking at the rest of the posts in the thread brought to light others disappointments that I've forgotten, or more likely suppressed. Alloy J-frames, SIG 320C, Walther PPK and PPK/S, SIG P230 and P232, Ruger SP101, Walther P88, Arex Rex Zero, to name a few. All relative failures for a variety of reasons, some due to unexpected heavy recoil (J-frame, PPKs, P230/232, SP101), poor ergonomics (320C, Steyr M9), cheap quality/QC (Zero, M&P9c, Shield .40), unreliability (Steyr M9, SIG Mosquito, Colt 1991) or just the failure to measure up to lofty expectations whether imagined or otherwise (P88, Nighthawk Predator and Recon). There are still more if I dig deeper, but I'd say these cover most of my disappointing lowlights.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post