SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How often do you lubricate an unfired pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you lubricate an unfired pistol Login/Join 
posted
I put my PM9 away for the summer and switched to my winter carry p229.

It's time to switch back, it was put away clean and lubed.

As a general question how often you do clean and lubed and unfired pistol?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If it's a gun that's stored, I'll clean and lube it before shooting. If it's a gun left loaded for immediate access, once a month.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
If it's a gun that's stored, I'll clean and lube it before shooting...

Same here. I've got some in a dri-rod safe inside a bore-store and I still clean and lube before yearly firing.

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...00001-1850-7173.aspx

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
If it's a gun that's stored, I'll clean and lube it before shooting...

Same here. I've got some in a dri-rod safe inside a bore-store and I still clean and lube before yearly firing.

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...00001-1850-7173.aspx

When I was on the road, I wiped down and relubed my duty gun about every other week.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Use gun grease and you do not need to lubricate while the gun is in storage because 2 years from now it will still be perfectly lubricated the same as when you put the gun away. Gun oil disappears / evaporates in storage , gun grease stays put.

So get some darn grease.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I pull everything out once a year, disassemble and re-lube with Eezox or Breakfree CLP. Grease at all the contact points just like normal.

Every Day Carry (EDC) gets the same treatment about once a month depending on how it looks. When the exterior begins to look 'dry', I do a quick disassembly and lube.

Everything I have is clean, lubricated and ready for service. There is no other way to keep them.

As for the question - break it down and lubricate it. 10 minutes.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use gun grease and you do not need to lubricate while the gun is in storage

Eh, pistols still seem to work a little more smoothly with fresh grease, or at least that's the case with RIG+P.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some types of grease will dry over time. Example - For me, TW25 dried fairly quickly and took a bit of effort to remove if I had some reason to clean and / or relube before firing. But, it would instead some to properly resurrect if I proceeded to the range with the dried lube. I recently switched to Super Lube grease and it does not dry out; it is very easily wiped off the rails whether dirty from firing or not. All that said, I haven’t tested either grease for an extended storage.

Notwithstanding plagues, I don’t have any intention of storing my few pistols. If I did, I’m not sure that I would apply grease to the rails anyway. I would apply some form of oil that migrates the least and plan to relube before the later use.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have guns in the safe for the last 10 years or more lubed with either militec grease or slide glide, and they looks pretty much the same as they did when I put them away. I would take them out every now and then and work the slide.

For guns like my Glocks that are just oiled, I would add oil every now and then, or when I shoot them. The oil tends to migrate across the surface.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Use gun grease and you do not need to lubricate while the gun is in storage because 2 years from now it will still be perfectly lubricated the same as when you put the gun away. Gun oil disappears / evaporates in storage , gun grease stays put.

So get some darn grease.

^^^This . I've had guns sitting in a safe for a few years. Took them to the range without any cleaning. Just added a few drops of oil to the barrel before shooting. A few hundred rounds without a hiccup.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
AT some point the grease can dry out. If you are talking "years", I would re-lube it. If oil, I don't trust that past a month.
Better yet, take it out of storage, test it, then relube. It will give you more experience w/ regard to your grease and equipment.

You are using grease, right?

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to carry it, I'd take it apart and give it a quick clean again and oil it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

So get some darn grease.

Same here.

I've had pistols stored in the safe at my Dad's home for a year or more and when I came to visit him while on leave, the Slide Glide was still in place and worked just fine at the range.

Remember though.. not all grease is alike.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Every few months, especially for night stand guns, etc.

Use some grease - it doesn't dry out as fast.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who do we like best for gun grease?

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure Slide-Glide medium would be a fan favorite.

I keep a tub of it in the drawer with a little paint brush to apply it to rails.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:
Who do we like best for gun grease?

TS

There is no "we". Pick something, and it will work just fine.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my main carry gun refinished in Birdsong black Teflon. I still clean it and grease (with Slide Glide) the main bearing surfaces and put a bit of CLP on the firing mechanism every few months. Usually as part of replacing the carry ammo. I have never had this gun fail when tested.

One secret is to choose a reliable gun in the first place. These are almost certainly more tolerant of a bit of neglect.

Posts: 327 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
My guns are "wet" while waiting in my safe with oil. That being the exterior slide and frame. Grease on rails and exterior barrel. Thats me.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guns sit with Slide Glide and Mobil 1 on the springs. Some guns will go a year in between firing, so I’ll give them a quick wipe and reapply before I shoot. I do take a look at them every couple months just to make sure nothing looks off.

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post