SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How often do you lubricate an unfired pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you lubricate an unfired pistol Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
For edc I clean it once a month regardless.
For guns in the safe, I clean before shooting and lube appropriately.
For guns just laying around in the safe...I clean them annually just to swap out the lube I put on them before long term storage.

In the military we used a pms system,
Pre use
After use
Monthly
Quarterly
Annually
Lay-up (long term storage)

Some things were simply just function checks, some were preventative...annuals were like measuring the springs to see if they needed replacing...
Lay-up was literally heating artillery grease and dipping the handgun/rifle in it and them wrapping in a foil backed paper...these were to ensure no rusting in storage....and they were lot sampled at five year intervals....

But I think that is a little over the top. I have a gun my grandad gave me from WWII theat has just been wiped down with oil and stored and shot maybe once a year and it is perfectly fine.

I store my guns in a safe inside my air conditioned home so the humidity is usually under 70%

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:
Who do we like best for gun grease?
TS

I would find the cheapest synthetic grease at Walmart. Add a little bit of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil to it so it won't be too thick.Then it's good to go.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post