SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P229 .40S&W Red Box pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P229 .40S&W Red Box pistol Login/Join 
posted
Recently purchased a P229 'Red Box' pistol in .40 S&W. These are law enforcement trade-in guns fully reconditioned by Sig Sauer, essentially as new condition. MSRP for a new P229 is now $1087, with NIB pistols regularly selling at or about $900, and I got this one for just over $400, in the 'red box' with manual, lock, 2 magazines, and one-year factory warranty. I am impressed with the quality, in every respect just like a new pistol.

This is my third Sig pistol, the first being a P232 .380 that I have owned for about 15 years (excellent shooter, very lightweight and easy to carry) and the other a P6 (German police surplus version of the P225 in 9mm). Both excellent pistols.

First trip to the range today with the P229. Experienced more difficulty loading these 12-round magazines with .40 ammo than I have ever encountered. My old retired arthritic hands are still sore from stuffing cartridges against those strong springs.

48 years experience with double-stack pistols such as the Browning Hi Power and never had this much difficulty loading magazines. Guess I will have to look into magazine loaders. Any suggestions?

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Lobo,

I don't think that you can do much better than a maglula loader. They are small, and durable (at least I have not broken one).
Here's a link http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp/, Amazon sells them pretty cheaply, and with free shipping whether or not you are a prime member - for the rest of the holiday season. I have the larger 9mm-45acp, and the smaller which works great for 380acp.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the MagLula. And leaving your mags loaded for a week should make them easier to load.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
After having the same problem with my PPQ M2 and then nearly slicing the end of my finger off when I slipped, I bought a MagLula too. Clearly a a needed accessory for any range bag. I like mine so well I bought a baby version for my singlestack mags too.

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the Maglula, which turned out to be another million dollar idea. The Red Box Sigs are a great deal and I have had a couple. Nothing like saving a few dollars on a great platform while not sacrificing quality. I wish I could find a P228 certified preowned for $400.00 Big Grin .

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second what Yooper said regarding leaving the mags loaded for a week. I've done this with a few new magazines that were initially tough to load and they broke in nicely. I can't recall for certain, but I may have done this with P229 magazines as well as I also picked up a "red box" P229, about a year ago, and also felt it was an excellent buy. Mine is a P229R with the "legacy" slide and short extractor, indistinguishable (to me at least) from new, and for a little added interest has a serial number with a USPIS prefix, which I believe means it was a US Postal Inspection Service contract gun.

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Lobo,
Where did you find a "red box" Sig?
I would be interested in one myself.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
MAGLULA. Greg Cote sells them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yup. Maglula: the Ultimate Thumb Saver.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I remember when the CPO Red Box Sigs came out years ago. $475 to $550 for a like new Sig. I bought and sold several. Made money on every deal.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSB3:
I remember when the CPO Red Box Sigs came out years ago. $475 to $550 for a like new Sig. I bought and sold several. Made money on every deal.

Dis they stop this? CPOs were good deals.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I've been using a maglula for about 13 yrs. now. It saves my thumb a lot of pain.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just placed an order for the Maglula loader. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
$400 for a CPO 229 is a good price. I've owned 4 229's and loved them but found I like the 220 more so I've sold all of my 229's.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post