SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Poor mans Equinox
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor mans Equinox Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
I recalled seeing a thread a good long while ago on making a fauxquinox from a standard stainless slide. I was bored so I got started on mine. I have a little polishing work to do but it’s coming along.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Looking good so far. You'll need the grips. I've seen them for sale a few times on Ebay & Sigforum.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
Looking good! What are you using to polish?

I seem to recall seeing some Equinox grips on gunbroker a couple weeks ago.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Yes, we need more details. I'd guess 800,1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my Notaquinox. As you can see I went full tilt and did the entire gun. It started life as a new basic E2 grip P226 9mm.

I only went to 400g on the slide and it came out very nice.

5x P226, 2x P229, 1x P220, 1x P238, 1x365, 1x MPX

Posts: 10 | Registered: October 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:

I started out with 240, but found I was polishing the nitron in places, so I switched to 100 grip which worked much better. I moved up as high as 400 to see how well it polished, although I still need to spend more time with 100 to remove the last vestiges of nitron from the low spots. Once I get the sides clean, I’ll begin the progression up the scale of finer grit.

The method I used thus far was one I saw here a few years back- I taped sheets of sandpaper to a flat Formica table top and did each flat back and forth, front to rear. Even with 100 grit, it is very time consuming and not easy going- nitron is tough, and I discovered that said flats are not exactly so. Both had shallow spots that sand unevenly- especially where the lettering is located.

Next, I’ll be looking to send off the hammer and controls to have them ceracoated to match stainless. The frame has lots of duty holster wear so I’m not sure I want to invest in a recoat of it. I just picked up a railed DAK 9mm from broker that has very little apparent wear. I’ll probably swap uppers to carry the worn frame on duty and make the railed version the pretty one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZsigshooter:
Here is my Notaquinox. As you can see I went full tilt and did the entire gun. It started life as a new basic E2 grip P226 9mm.

I only went to 400g on the slide and it came out very nice.

That looks really sharp; the matching controls really make all the difference.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I took the liberty of resizing your pic so we can see it without scrolling to the next room. Wink
Really nice looking!

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Next, I’ll be looking to send off the hammer and controls to have them ceracoated to match stainless.

I found some of the parts to be easier/cheaper to buy new than get cerakoted. Midwest had all the nickle parts when I did mine.

5x P226, 2x P229, 1x P220, 1x P238, 1x365, 1x MPX

Posts: 10 | Registered: October 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Those look really good. Now I am wanting a P220 Equinox

I like the Equinox look, but I do not like rails.

So I have one each way

The rail gun is a factory Equinox, the non-rail gun I found as a CPO with the Equinox slide already on it

I then took the trigger, hammer, take down lever and decock lever and mag release and had them plated.

I have a LaserMax guide rod in the non railed gun so that lever was also nickel plated.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've always been partial to the Equinox look and hope to one day either find the right one in P226 or, perhaps, go it the do-it-yourself route after seeing what some of you guys are able to achieve. Cool

I hope you continue to update the thread with your progress and pics and looking forward to the finished project!

By the way, although I think the name more aptly applies to those of you going the do-it-yourself route, there was actually a small run of actual SIG factory Poor Man's Equinox guns.

quote:
quote:

I started out with 240, but found I was polishing the nitron in places, so I switched to 100 grip which worked much better. I moved up as high as 400 to see how well it polished, although I still need to spend more time with 100 to remove the last vestiges of nitron from the low spots. Once I get the sides clean, I’ll begin the progression up the scale of finer grit.

The method I used thus far was one I saw here a few years back- I taped sheets of sandpaper to a flat Formica table top and did each flat back and forth, front to rear. Even with 100 grit, it is very time consuming and not easy going- nitron is tough, and I discovered that said flats are not exactly so. Both had shallow spots that sand unevenly- especially where the lettering is located.

Next, I’ll be looking to send off the hammer and controls to have them ceracoated to match stainless. The frame has lots of duty holster wear so I’m not sure I want to invest in a recoat of it. I just picked up a railed DAK 9mm from broker that has very little apparent wear. I’ll probably swap uppers to carry the worn frame on duty and make the railed version the pretty one.

I was just about to ask about how you were going about this so thanks for taking the time to explain it. Having used both sand paper and steel wool before, even using a sanding block, I keep wondering how you are able to only remove the finish from the outboard flats without actually removing any of the finish from the low inboard surfaces.

Are you wet sanding or dry sanding? If wet sanding, are you using oil, water...some other slurry mix?

Some Equinox examples have a portion of the top of the slide polished as well, any plans to do this?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I've always been partial to the Equinox look and hope to one day either find the right one in P226 or, perhaps, go it the do-it-yourself route after seeing what some of you guys are able to achieve. Cool

I hope you continue to update the thread with your progress and pics and looking forward to the finished project!

By the way, although I think the name more aptly applies to those of you going the do-it-yourself route, there was actually a small run of actual SIG factory Poor Man's Equinox guns.

quote:
quote:

I was just about to ask about how you were going about this so thanks for taking the time to explain it. Having used both sand paper and steel wool before, even using a sanding block, I keep wondering how you are able to only remove the finish from the outboard flats without actually removing any of the finish from the low inboard surfaces.

Are you wet sanding or dry sanding? If wet sanding, are you using oil, water...some other slurry mix?

Some Equinox examples have a portion of the top of the slide polished as well, any plans to do this?

Dry thus far, but am considering trying wet using oil; I find that it takes no time at all for the grit to wear down to powder that walks out of the sanding path. Oil would probably keep it in place in a colloid suspension so that I can get more use out of it.

I found that the table top method is very effective for smooth even sanding. I plan to add a piece of tape under the sand paper to create a subtle high spot to better reach the slide low spots.

posted Hide Post
Nice work.

Posts: 15 | Registered: September 26, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Love the Equinox look. This all stainless fake Equinox FrankenP229 was done a while ago. I no longer have the slide, though.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dry thus far, but am considering trying wet using oil; I find that it takes no time at all for the grit to wear down to powder that walks out of the sanding path. Oil would probably keep it in place in a colloid suspension so that I can get more use out of it.

I found that the table top method is very effective for smooth even sanding. I plan to add a piece of tape under the sand paper to create a subtle high spot to better reach the slide low spots.

I have significant experience in sanding various projects, probably more so in wet sanding, and my instinct would be to go with oil wet sanding on a project like this. Its certainly messier, and there may be a bit of concern in having some of the grit/finish oil leak into the gun internals...but wet sanding with oil generally makes it easier to move the sand paper along the metal surface and maintain a more consistent pressure, and might just help a tad in mitigating any micro-grooves and "digging" into the metal surface.

Good idea on the tape to reach the low spots.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Love the Equinox look. This all stainless fake Equinox FrankenP229 was done a while ago. I no longer have the slide, though.

I recall you selling that slide and thinking just how sharp it looked. Very nicely done...but as fair a price as you had on it I wasn't able to swing it. Somebody got themselves a looker! Cool

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

That reverse looks outstanding- must have been a heavy little brute and really soaked up the snappiness the 229 can have.

Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
Would Flitz work to remove the Nitron? I used it to polish a CZ 75B barrel many years ago, which came out nice and shiny.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have significant experience in sanding various projects, probably more so in wet sanding, and my instinct would be to go with oil wet sanding on a project like this. Its certainly messier, and there may be a bit of concern in having some of the grit/finish oil leak into the gun internals...but wet sanding with oil generally makes it easier to move the sand paper along the metal surface and maintain a more consistent pressure, and might just help a tad in mitigating any micro-grooves and "digging" into the metal surface.

Good idea on the tape to reach the low spots.

I can just tape down a plastic garbage bag as a surface area collector and use Brakleen to flush it out before re-oiling. It’s supposed to be rainy this weekend so it would be the perfect opportunity.

As is often the case for me, I wish I had done “before” pics Big Grin

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I recall you selling that slide and thinking just how sharp it looked. Very nicely done...but as fair a price as you had on it I wasn't able to swing it. Somebody got themselves a looker! Cool

Cannot claim credit for the polishing job, however, because I bought it already done. Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post