SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 lack of parts support
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 lack of parts support Login/Join 
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted
I understand why SIG dropped the P239 from the lineup. Given it's been overtaken by more easily concealable offerings, sales have probably fallen off. But did they have to just dump all parts support for it? SRT kits are now as rare as hens teeth. 357 SIG barrels are rare and expensive when you do find them. SIG doesn't even have magazines on their site for them. Even though it's outdated, I do like the 239. But just dropping parts support is disappointing. And I worry about other SIGs. If they stop producing them in favor of the plastic guns, what of all those?

So anyone have any insight on this? Will SIG permanently drop parts support, of is this just temporary while they focus production on the Tupperware guns?

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Unless someone takes up the role of aftermarket part manufacturer for it, expect factory parts to eventually dry up.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
There are WWII 1911s with original parts in them, that still work. I'd worry about it in about 20 years.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
I understand why SIG dropped the P239 from the lineup. Given it's been overtaken by more easily concealable offerings, sales have probably fallen off. But did they have to just dump all parts support for it? SRT kits are now as rare as hens teeth. 357 SIG barrels are rare and expensive when you do find them. SIG doesn't even have magazines on their site for them. Even though it's outdated, I do like the 239. But just dropping parts support is disappointing. And I worry about other SIGs. If they stop producing them in favor of the plastic guns, what of all those?

So anyone have any insight on this? Will SIG permanently drop parts support, of is this just temporary while they focus production on the Tupperware guns?

Have you tried Top Gun Supply?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The P239 never breaks. Just keep shooting it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It's why I ordered a couple parts kits when I heard they were dropping the P239, because I like to carry and shoot it.
As irritated as I was, SIG did reduce mag prices down to $9.99 for my .40 a couple times when they dropped the P239. Another member and myself (twice) posted when they went on sale, here in the Pistol section for SF members to grab mags.

And as another member pointed out a some weeks ago, 9mm mags are still available from one online outlet.
But yeah, it's a bummer.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I just find it odd that SIG essentially orphaned this gun. Many manufacturers keep up some level of parts support for a few years. But it seems like SIG dropped this one like a hot potato. Production line wasn't even cold and parts dried up.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Im by no means and expert, but just because you can't find the parts on their web site does not mean they are'n't there... I'd bet they have a lot of misc P239 parts stored in their ware house along with much more....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Im by no means and expert, but just because you can't find the parts on their web site does not mean they are'n't there... I'd bet they have a lot of misc P239 parts stored in their ware house along with much more....

SIG is a business, so I don't see a financial reason for them to sit on unsold inventory.

I just find it odd that SIG unceremoniously orphaned the 239.

posted Hide Post
No different than how they abandoned the owners of 556/551a1 rifles.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in a similar situation with a different pistol.

Question: Is it feasible to have parts fabricated, or is that economically not realistic?

Posts: 151 | Location: Stone Mountain, GA | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What parts are owners likely to need going forward? The most likely answer is springs. I would think vendors like Wolff would carry these. Whole magazines might be and issue (Wolff would carry magazine springs.) Maybe MecGar would sell them under their own name. What else is likely to wear out or break?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than mags it appears that the 239 shares many components with other models. And I’m seriously considering getting a 239 DA/SA IN 357.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does, but it also has many unique components. To the above question you might need lots of things beyond springs, to maintain the gun. SIG really sucks on the issue of discontinuing models. I have no issue with the idea that some products sales are low and we are going to stop production. It happens all the time. In every industry. But what doesn't happen in other industries is that spare parts dry up at the same time. Mostly producers commit to producing parts for some period of time. SIG never. Imagine your 2018 Ford car is the last of its generation and you can't get oil filters. Its totally nuts.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Some industries are required by law to provide support for a specific amount of time. IIRC appliance manufacturers are required to provide parts for 10 years. So manufacturers find it profitable.

My guess is that it isn't profitable for SIG, and they'd much rather that you replace a discontinued gun with a new one (from them.)

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
It does, but it also has many unique components. To the above question you might need lots of things beyond springs, to maintain the gun. SIG really sucks on the issue of discontinuing models. I have no issue with the idea that some products sales are low and we are going to stop production. It happens all the time. In every industry. But what doesn't happen in other industries is that spare parts dry up at the same time. Mostly producers commit to producing parts for some period of time. SIG never. Imagine your 2018 Ford car is the last of its generation and you can't get oil filters. Its totally nuts.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get that sig has no legal obligation. But they should care about what I think about it and supporting customers who bought their product. I'm still mad about the 556 debacle of end of life. I'm not alone. I'm not buying from sig on other firearms simply because they suck on this issue. and I am not alone. My S&W needed a part (15+years old) and they sent it to me. my 522 needed a part (a bit over 1 year old) and sig told me no.
Eventually that will be an issue.
What sig needs to do is announce end of life and give a reasonable period for owners to buy any spares/mags/etc. they need and then they can go on their merry way. their current process is totally wrong.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
What parts are owners likely to need going forward? The most likely answer is springs. I would think vendors like Wolff would carry these. Whole magazines might be and issue (Wolff would carry magazine springs.) Maybe MecGar would sell them under their own name. What else is likely to wear out or break?

Many of the trigger parts are different. I want an SRT kit, but no go. Doesn't use the same parts as the P22X series. Also want a barrel in 357 SIG, but they've discontinued those. Magazines are also unique to the 239.

Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I bought a Sig P229. I LOVED it! Started getting rid of all other brands of handguns. I am now down to P229 and a P239. I love both and carry 229 in winter and 239 in summer. That said, I will not buy another Sig due to their policy of leaving customers hanging with zero support when they stop production of a gun. Yes, I know that Sig is not worried about my boycott.
I've been looking at CZ and Dan Wesson (also CZ).
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Midwest Gun Works has a variety of P239 parts, they may be able to meet user needs for a while.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
So, from the original question... what part exactly are you needing for your Sig P239 that you can't get from Sig?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post